Notifications

passing routes  

RSS

nwmocb
(@nwmocb)
Bronze
August 11, 2017 7:16 am  

Does anyone release a their tight end on run plays v man to man coverage?  thinking about adding this wrinkle to my run game because a lot of times we run jet motion and throw the dump pass to the tight end after you burn a team once in the game the assign the linebacker to watch him so I am thinking about running the linebacker off and running counter into that gap.  Thoughts?

davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
August 11, 2017 7:27 am  

We have always had a Paul Call- where we faked pass
Last season we ran a designed counter off of that fake for the EXACT reason you mentioned
One season success- will see if it was a one season wonder or keeper this year

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
August 11, 2017 7:36 am  

Does anyone release a their tight end on run plays v man to man coverage?  thinking about adding this wrinkle to my run game because a lot of times we run jet motion and throw the dump pass to the tight end after you burn a team once in the game the assign the linebacker to watch him so I am thinking about running the linebacker off and running counter into that gap.  Thoughts?

Don't just send him on a pass route: arc him to block a DB.  It'll LOOK just like a pass route and might influence the LB to cover him, but he'll still know he has to block somebody.

I don't like expecting that to influence a LB on its own.  Someone should still be blocking or read the LB in case he doesn't just turn and run with the TE.

ReplyQuote
nwmocb
(@nwmocb)
Bronze
August 11, 2017 7:43 am  

Thanks.  Coach Arnold as far a blocking what are your thoughts.  Our base formation is tight end flanker on the left slot on the right.  We like to jet towards the slot and run tight end seam away.  Are you suggesting the TE block the corner hopefully widening the linebacker?  Also I want to read the LB but I am afraid the QB opening up opposite for the counter the QB would have his head on the opposite side of the defense making it a tough read.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
August 11, 2017 9:44 am  

Thanks.  Coach Arnold as far a blocking what are your thoughts.  Our base formation is tight end flanker on the left slot on the right.  We like to jet towards the slot and run tight end seam away.  Are you suggesting the TE block the corner hopefully widening the linebacker?  Also I want to read the LB but I am afraid the QB opening up opposite for the counter the QB would have his head on the opposite side of the defense making it a tough read.

I'm sorry, but I think I misunderstood what you were talking about.  I thought you were running Jet to the TE and then throwing a PAP off that.  That's why I was suggesting you arc him.

If you're trying to run the counter to the TE side while faking Jet away, just have the TE block down and kick out the first thing past him.  Don't try to read a playside defender on counter or make this complicated.  You might be able to influence the LB by arc'ing him, but it's not worth compromising a simple and sound blocking scheme IMO.

My mistake.

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
August 11, 2017 11:17 am  

In my double wing we run power/power sweep a variety of ways and if we face a team that will bite hard on power pass we will have the QB boot as if running power and the WB run his corner route.  This often pulls the DE wide and the OLB and CB near side will drop into coverage expecting to see pass.  I especially like to run this with FB power where we leave the DE unblocked instead of kicking him out with the FB. Love running this on short yardage and goal line plays where the defense is expecting us to run wedge/power/power sweep.  They will over react to the power pass leaving the runner wide open.  We also run the actual QB boot with WB running corner as a sideline tag if we see that CB/OLB creeping up to crash power/power sweep. 

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
August 11, 2017 12:46 pm  

I found my opponents were lining up King Kong to play Sam in their 5-3's.  So I ran the TE at his his outside shoulder and turned outside with no block.  Aiming for the outside shoulder was deliberate so that Sam could see the route in front of him and run with it.  Of course, no throw.  About the time he saw the run he'd be 3 yards in the wrong direction.  We'd watch to see when he stopped covering the TE and they all did.  Then we'd call pass to the TE only now the TE ran at Sam's inside shoulder and ran the out behind him.  We wanted to make sure that Sam saw the fake handoff on the play action pass.  When he realized it was pass he'd turn in the direction the TE went by him on, not knowing the TE had turned outside behind him.  For the TE it was a 90 degree turn outside.  For the Sam it was a 270 degree turn to follow.  Sam would just get smoked.

The run play with no block on Sam worked in that we got about 2 more ypc.  But the pass?  That was always wide open.  Never covered.       

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Share: