Notifications

Please share your blocking rules  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Mudbug
(@mudbug)
Copper
October 30, 2019 10:00 am  

I am referring to how you teach your kids who to block. What is the name of your "rule" and how is it applied?

Please explain like I'm a kid.

Hoping to be able to streamline things in the future. I have no problem "borrowing" a more efficient method.

Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
October 30, 2019 11:24 am  

Most of my blocking is wedge first for the young ones
Then I blend into GOL (DC Wing) where I have learned from Clark to use finger blocking rules

I have used Mikes "TIKO" blocking where its a track kick out as my left guard can pull It was an easy install

Trap was a little hard for me to teach the younger ones. Trying to get a 8 YO to ignore someone in front of them is hard. This is why I went TIKO

So my main blocking schemes were wedge, GOL and TIKO

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
October 30, 2019 11:25 am  

Missed this part

I'll post a little more

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
October 30, 2019 11:31 am  

Finger blocking (GOL) Gap On Linebacker is as it sounds If someone in your gap towards the ball, take them first, If no one in your Gap then take the player in front of you, if no one in your gap and no one in front of you go get a linebacker close to you.

Finger blocking is where you take your hand closest to the ball / center and point to a spot directly in front of you, then you take your other hand and put middle, ring and pinky fingers and thumb around your wrist like its a watch and your "pointy" finger will be pointing towards your Gap to the inside. Your top finger / hand is your first priority, if no one there then take your hand off and look where your bottom hand is pointing to the place in front of you, if no one there go get a linebacker.

ReplyQuote
Rockets11
(@rockets11)
Bronze
October 30, 2019 11:33 am  

Just hit someone 😉

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
October 30, 2019 11:43 am  

Just hit someone 😉

That's what we revert to  😉

ReplyQuote
Rockets11
(@rockets11)
Bronze
October 30, 2019 12:24 pm  

That's what we revert to  😉

Serious answer,  It varies for each concept.  Weve used GOL, Gap Down, Gap on outside, MOMA, Reach. We always tweak based on the defense we see. 

Adjustments based on the defense we face have been important especially on plays like iso and trap, we scout ahead of time and plan accordingly.

However we always have base rules we revert to in case they change or do something we haven't seen. 

Power is our go to when teams get funky,  block down and kick out. Works against anything.  Power and sweep usually buy us time to at least figure out what the defense is doing.

When in doubt we rjust block everything down and then kick the end man with a back (AKA just hit someone but make sure that someone is between you and the center :P)

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
October 30, 2019 12:36 pm  

Power is our go to when teams get funky,  block down and kick out. Works against anything. 

After installing TIKO which is same as above, I think I will install TIKO right after wedge. Wedge was and will be our go to blocking scheme to start off and steal yards and wins early in season

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
October 30, 2019 12:52 pm  

I am referring to how you teach your kids who to block. What is the name of your "rule" and how is it applied?

Hoping to be able to streamline things in the future. I have no problem "borrowing" a more efficient method.

I coach 8u, so I've got a few different rules.

1) Last year, I had a huge offensive line. Since I was confident that my kids could "on" block, I used GOD (Gap On Down) on the play side and GOP (Gap On Pull) on the back side. Or at least that's what I told our coaches. The way I taught it was, "If there's someone inside of you, block him. If not, block the guy in front of you. If there's no one there, help the guy next to you." Same thing for the backside only I told them to pull rather than double.

2) This year, I had only one kid that I trusted to "on" block... he was also my primary puller. I switched the scheme to GDB (Gap - Down - Backer) on the play side and GDP (Gap - Down - Pull) on the back side. I used Coach Wilkins' finger pointing system (that Coach Robert spoke about above) to teach this. That approach probably saved me two hours of practice time, which is why I highly recommend it. As one my 7-year olds said, "We'd rather draw the picture than have you talk, coach". While he's a wise-apple, I also suspect he is right.

3) I would also recommend Coach Cox's "wash blocking". If you go into the Coach Cox forum, it's the most recent post. I recommend it because switching to it at halftime helped me win a game this year.

4) Your profile says that you run Wishbone, but I am posting a link that helped my Single Wing succeed. To me, it seems like Gap On Down, but it has some great explanations and some video.

http://coachsomebody.com/2014/10/bruce-eien-fat-formation/

I hope this helps!!

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 30, 2019 2:39 pm  

Of course the rules were particular to the play and the position, but this year, with 11Us, we actually taught them the same coaching terms we write about here.  So, for instance, Gap, Down, Backer was the most common rule, and we explained what each of those words meant, as well as where we wanted their heads and hands to go on the down blocks.

In some cases, though, we needed them to recognize defensive fronts, because one play required a rule exception based on odd or even look.

Also, the teaching was a bit haphazard.  We didn't follow a schedule for teaching them, and I think sometimes a coach was using a term before it'd been taught.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 30, 2019 4:48 pm  

What scheme do you run?  Your scheme may not be applicable to another coach with suggestions.  In other words, if you're a Spread guy, I don't have anything you can use.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
October 30, 2019 6:22 pm  

I like teaching track blocking.  Run this track, block the first thing that shows in it, don't let anything get across your face.

There's some more detail into the technique of the actual blocks, but I like this.  It works well for gap and zone schemes.  You will need to adjust the tracks on the different plays, but I like how it takes a lot of guesswork and thinking out of blocking.

It's the closest I can come to telling kids "hit somebody!" and not be a total dumb@$$.

ReplyQuote
Mudbug
(@mudbug)
Copper
October 31, 2019 5:54 am  

What scheme do you run?  Your scheme may not be applicable to another coach with suggestions.  In other words, if you're a Spread guy, I don't have anything you can use.

--Dave

Double wing mostly. Going to try to keep the core group together for 7v7 during spring so that I feel a little better about spreading things out but that would be a luxury.

After reading the responses, I taught similar to GOL. I would just tell them to double team playside as opposed to looking for backers tho. Lead blockers on backs.

I like the simplified tags though. More efficient.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
October 31, 2019 7:16 am  

Count from your backside partner unless tag is used.

That applies to every blocking scheme we have

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 31, 2019 7:27 am  

Double wing mostly.

--Oh good, that's easy.  Wait..."mostly?" ???

Going to try to keep the core group together for 7v7 during spring so that I feel a little better about spreading things out but that would be a luxury.

--Heresy.  Some people can't leave well enough alone. ::)

--So do you just want the how I teach our rules?  Or how we teach blocking?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: