Notifications

Power  

RSS

nwmocb
(@nwmocb)
Bronze
September 5, 2017 8:15 am  

At what age did you guys start running power and counter?

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 5, 2017 8:17 am  

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 5, 2017 8:26 am  

7-9s.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 5, 2017 8:29 am  

The youngest age I have coached is Pop Warner jpw which has 9-11 yo kids. Power series has always been our base.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 5, 2017 9:57 am  

I tried it at 6, but they kept turning it into sweep...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
September 5, 2017 10:04 am  

We used hand signals with the six-year-olds to call counter.  If a defender on the playside took his hand off the ground after the snap, the back would instantly turn the play into a counter.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold
Head Coach
September 5, 2017 10:19 am  

7-9s.

--Dave                                                                                                                                                                                                       
                    ^^^^^ ......This age here... Power and Ctr has always been part of our base install from 7 on up...

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 5, 2017 10:41 am  

We used hand signals with the six-year-olds to call counter.  If a defender on the playside took his hand off the ground after the snap, the back would instantly turn the play into a counter.

Probably works for younger kids as well.  ๐Ÿ˜› It might turn into the dreaded double counter, where the kid runs a counter then sees that the backside defenders have also taken a hand off the ground and he redirects the other way. Unless of course there is a puppy on the sidelines. Then all bets are off... sweep to that side no matter what. Which is where I will be as well, because puppies are awesome.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
September 5, 2017 10:43 am  

Probably works for younger kids as well.  ๐Ÿ˜› It might turn into the dreaded double counter, where the kid runs a counter then sees that the backside defenders have also taken a hand off the ground and he redirects the other way. Unless of course there is a puppy on the sidelines. Then all bets are off... sweep to that side no matter what. Which is where I will be as well, because puppies are awesome.

I believe if both sides uses the signal the kid was supposed to freeze and get tackled.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
September 5, 2017 10:54 am  

We run it with 6-8 year olds. 

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 5, 2017 11:04 am  

Honestly you could probably get just about any age group to run power or any other play. What the really little dudes decide to do on that particular play often has little to do with what you have run in practice. The kids can handle the choreography of the play as long as you keep really simple rules. SAB on the playside probably works best with bobble heads. The guard can pull and run around to the other side and hopefully hit a guy on the other team (could be a safety or the backside corner, the ng or even the qb as the defense most likely falls apart instantly at the snap if they are even running a defense) and the fb can kick out the emlos. It's not that complicated really. Keeping them focused is the hard part.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 7, 2017 6:58 am  

7-9s.

--Dave

Yes sir

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Share: