Notifications

R4 Passing System  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
November 18, 2017 9:34 am  

MB if you can get your kids to dedicate to working on their skills in the off season I'm happy for you.

At the Junior High Level there are far too many AAU Basketball players hoping to be the next 5'10" NBA Point Guard or Tiny Forward.  OR  They are tossing 1,000 pitches in January, February, and March hoping to avoid Tommy John surgery by age 16 or 17. 

In short the most physically demanding sport gets no attention until 3 weeks before the season starts and, God forbid, the season goes beyond Open Gym for Basketball try outs.  Who has time for Football???  SIGH  🙁

We had kids not join this year because they were playing baseball and their season didn't end until a week before football practice started. So their excuse was that they were too burned out.

ReplyQuote
MBCoach
(@mbcoach)
Copper
November 18, 2017 10:30 am  

Are you in Phoenix?

I coached in Phoenix for a spell. Fun times.

Yes. You wouldn’t agree they play good football here? I’ve lived in 6 states. This is a much higher level of competition than I experienced coaching elsewhere, albeit the other places I coached were much smaller in terms of population.

ReplyQuote
MBCoach
(@mbcoach)
Copper
November 18, 2017 10:52 am  

MB if you can get your kids to dedicate to working on their skills in the off season I'm happy for you.

At the Junior High Level there are far too many AAU Basketball players hoping to be the next 5'10" NBA Point Guard or Tiny Forward.  OR  They are tossing 1,000 pitches in January, February, and March hoping to avoid Tommy John surgery by age 16 or 17. 

In short the most physically demanding sport gets no attention until 3 weeks before the season starts and, God forbid, the season goes beyond Open Gym for Basketball try outs.  Who has time for Football???  SIGH  🙁

It mostly isn’t our coaches. They’re a great group of kids. We’re really lucky with this core group.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
November 18, 2017 11:13 am  

Yes. You wouldn’t agree they play good football here? I’ve lived in 6 states. This is a much higher level of competition than I experienced coaching elsewhere, albeit the other places I coached were much smaller in terms of population.

I would agree because football is year round if a kid wants it.

I had a ton of fun coaching in those competitive winter flag Leagues with the Championships played at AWA. The old AFL Rattlers were the sponsors.

And I agree....Phoenix is one big town so sheer numbers plays a role. I coached in a new unlimited weight League in the Paradise Valley / North Scottsdale area that is now defunct I do believe.

It was interesting having kids show up in their Bentley's and Ferrari's for practice.  🙂

Those rich kids could certainly play some football thats for sure. Good times....good memories. This was about 20 years ago.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
MBCoach
(@mbcoach)
Copper
November 18, 2017 9:08 pm  

I would agree because football is year round if a kid wants it.

I had a ton of fun coaching in those competitive winter flag Leagues with the Championships played at AWA. The old AFL Rattlers were the sponsors.

And I agree....Phoenix is one big town so sheer numbers plays a role. I coached in a new unlimited weight League in the Paradise Valley / North Scottsdale area that is now defunct I do believe.

It was interesting having kids show up in their Bentley's and Ferrari's for practice.  🙂

Those rich kids could certainly play some football thats for sure. Good times....good memories. This was about 20 years ago.

Yeah the year round flag leagues are great for recruiting.  Have to be tactful about it though. I’ve yet to experience Bentley’s and Farrarris to practice. I wouldn’t say I have “rich kids” just a few that are middle class in unique situations. Unfortunately we’re the outermost org at the edge of the city, and so a lot of our players are poorer kids who live in the middle of no where.

It’s always a mixed bag. You just do the best with what you got. Back to the main point of all of this, I have a core group of kids who want the year round work, want the higher level material, and I want to give it to them. Because I’m so new at this, I don’t want to overload them because I’m not sure if I will know “that point”.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
November 18, 2017 9:22 pm  

Yeah the year round flag leagues are great for recruiting.  Have to be tactful about it though. I’ve yet to experience Bentley’s and Farrarris to practice. I wouldn’t say I have “rich kids” just a few that are middle class in unique situations. Unfortunately we’re the outermost org at the edge of the city, and so a lot of our players are poorer kids who live in the middle of no where.

It’s always a mixed bag. You just do the best with what you got. Back to the main point of all of this, I have a core group of kids who want the year round work, want the higher level material, and I want to give it to them. Because I’m so new at this, I don’t want to overload them because I’m not sure if I will know “that point”.

You will get plenty of push back on this Forum promoting year round. Me?....go for it.  Football all the time. If they burnout...they were going to eventually anyway so coach em while you've got em.

Besides...its far easier to pick up a basketball in HS than it is to pick up a football.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
MBCoach
(@mbcoach)
Copper
November 20, 2017 4:09 am  

You will get plenty of push back on this Forum promoting year round. Me?....go for it.  Football all the time. If they burnout...they were going to eventually anyway so coach em while you've got em.

Besides...its far easier to pick up a basketball in HS than it is to pick up a football.

So much of our offseason workout program has little to do with football. It is mostly for the kids who won’t be doing anything else besides sitting on the Xbox if we don’t offer it. We’ll have Sunday funday every week where the kids play capture the flag or something. I encourage the kids to play other sports because I am concerned about them getting burnt out and overworking muscles. But them coming to these workouts is definitely better than no other activity.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
November 20, 2017 5:46 am  

I once coached at a place where we'd lose about 1/3 of our HS team once open gym started for basketball.  The basketball coach was also opposed to letting "his basketball players" lift "too many weights" because he thought it would make them too heavy and kill their ability to get off the floor.

Guy was also a snake who'd say he encouraged kids to play football, but then tell their parents how much he worried about kids getting hurt if they did to scare them out of actually doing it.  He had parents and kids thinking that every time they had a headache, it must be a concussion from wearing a football helmet.  Only 2 kids on the whole basketball team were over 6' tall, but they were all going to go play for Kentucky or Duke...

Last HS I coached at recently became successful in wrestling.  The wrestling coaches would recruit the football players, tell them to specialize so they could focus on wrestling year round, and had them all cut way down to wrestle in lower weight classes.  It wasn't uncommon for linemen to take up wrestling and lose about 30lbs and most of their strength in the offseason.

There are few things worse than this whole "specialization" trend.  If a kid is already a sophomore or junior in HS and has some big time D1 offers in a specific sport, maybe it's valid, but for 99% of the kids who do it, it's a waste peddled by selfish coaches and delusional parents.  It sickens me that this happens at the youth level because the kids miss out on some great experiences and the opportunity to discover sports they may excel at.  Even most of the big time pro athletes played multiple sports as kids, which helped them develop overall as athletes and competitors.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: