Page 2 / 4
  RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 29, 2019 8:24 am  

...and I have not seen this line in a while...what schemes do you know? What can you teach 🙂 that is always the best scheme...

You're 100% correct, Chris.  But over time, I've just given up on saying that line.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
July 29, 2019 8:41 am  

we will see how camp goes, I dont think he has the speed to run far outside but we have a QB and a undersized RB both with good speed that can do that , so i think he will be taking handoffs or pitches no wider than the edges, im hoping he can be an off tackle beast

While there's a number of things you could do, I'd like the Single Wing based on what you've said so far. You can direct snap to the fullback to run inside and use your QB / RB to run the ball as well. The misdirection will drive the other defensive coordinator nuts.

Keep us posted on what you do and have a great season!

Coach Terry

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 29, 2019 8:42 am  

In the DW as I learned it, the FB is the most important player on the offense. There are many ways to take advantage of a talented FB in the DW.

Except that his player is slow.  So even though the Double Wing can be a Fullback-concentric offense, his player couldn't be a starting Fullback for me in the Double Wing.  What he's looking for is a slow runner, power-oriented offensive scheme.  In that case, a Wingback in our Double Wing offense would be ideal.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 29, 2019 8:43 am  

While there's a number of things you could do, I'd like the Single Wing based on what you've said so far. You can direct snap to the fullback to run inside and use your QB / RB to run the ball as well. The misdirection will drive the other defensive coordinator nuts.

Keep us posted on what you do and have a great season!

Coach Terry

I like TPJ's advice, especially since Cisar's Single Wing info is so helpful.  Which means, even if you haven't run it/taught it, you can get things up and running quickly.  In this day and age, there are fewer and fewer Double Wing converts and the DW seems to be converse with most um..."thinking" (although that's really not the correct word).  Contemporary thinking is that offenses are to be designed for scoring. The Double Wing, on the other hand, is designed for winning.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Tomahawk
(@tomahawk)
Copper
July 29, 2019 8:48 am  

ok so if he ends up being a between the tackle guy only and we use misdirection to utilize my smaller fast backs, what scheme you guys like? I ran Dave Cizer stuff when this group was younger with good success( Won back to back championships 8-9yo), did a little spread stuff last year and settled into I wing and had better success toward the end  of the year, good TB graduated, FB is back and here we are

ReplyQuote
Tomahawk
(@tomahawk)
Copper
July 29, 2019 8:54 am  

we did some single wing last year also but seamed like against the strong teams they clamped down on the direct snap stuff, the under center power/play action seemed to fit us better and sustained drives

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 29, 2019 8:56 am  

if he ends up being a between the tackle guy only and we use misdirection to utilize my smaller fast backs, what scheme you guys like?

--I like Double Wing.  Slow, power guy at Wingback running Power, all day long.  Smaller guys at Fullback, Wingback and Quarterback running Wedge, Traps, Counters, Yo-Yo, Criss-Cross and Boots.  That's a perfect set up.

I ran Dave Cizer stuff when this group was younger with good success( Won back to back championships 8-9yo)

--Either it appeals, or it doesn't.  For me, winning championships are always appealing.  So if I was making my money with the SW, then my plan is to keep right on making money.  Have never understood the "we were successful, so we decided to switch to something else" line of thinking.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 29, 2019 9:21 am  

we did some single wing last year also but seamed like against the strong teams they clamped down on the direct snap stuff

--Very good point.  Which is why I personally don't care for a run-oriented offense with direct-snap.  However, some Single Wing teams can be so good with their misdirection that it can't be clamped.  Spin-series, anyone?

the under center power/play action seemed to fit us better and sustained drives

--Well, that's me too.  But then, I prefer misdirection and being under Center can help hide the football.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 29, 2019 9:26 am  

we did some single wing last year also but seamed like against the strong teams they clamped down on the direct snap stuff

Here's the thing:  I've run the DW for more than a decade, from youth to middle school to high school.  Been successful with it, too.  And when teams slowed us down/gave us fits/figured us out, we didn't change the scheme.  We changed what we did in the scheme.  And as a result, we got better at running the scheme.

If I changed schemes every time someone "figured us out," I would have run more offenses than Mike Mahoney.  When someone figures you out, then you have to figure out "why?" and "how?"  Most often that answer is easier than finding another scheme.

When I first ran the Double Wing at the youth level, we were successful.  But I doubt if I'd run it at the high school level that same year that I'd have been as successful.  We had to get better at what we do; not throw the baby out with the bathwater. (C'mon Mahonz, tell me you've at least heard that one!)  The Single Wing is a great scheme.  I don't run it.  But I respect the heck out of it.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
July 29, 2019 10:12 am  

we did some single wing last year also but seamed like against the strong teams they clamped down on the direct snap stuff, the under center power/play action seemed to fit us better and sustained drives

That is why I qualified my comments with "there are a lot of things you could do". While the my version Single Wing works for me, others didn't have as much success. You could also try the Wing T (as other coaches noted) or the Wishbone (using the FB dive to set everything else up).

And, since I like direct snaps, I'd have to suggest a direct snap FB draw.

That's my two cents... I've seen a lot of great ideas on this thread.

Coach Terry

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
July 29, 2019 10:44 am  

Try Wing T

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
July 29, 2019 10:46 am  

Make sure you can coach it. If you are more proficient at another Offensive scheme, then stick with it. One player is not a whole team.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
July 29, 2019 1:07 pm  

If you have run the SW with some success, why not continue to run it with more success. The longer you run an offense the better you get at running it...if you're any good. There are details in every offense that can only be ironed out or discovered with time and attention.

Everything you do should be done with the intent to beat the good teams. You will beat the bad teams regardless of what you do. That's why they are the bad teams. You can beat the good teams with any scheme you get good at.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
July 29, 2019 10:53 pm  

The primary ball carrier in the WT is the FB. Nuff said

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 30, 2019 5:25 am  

The primary ball carrier in the WT is the FB. Nuff said

Ok, but the OP has only mentioned the player's running ability.  Jake, don't your Fullbacks have to block?  Mine do.  And if they don't, they aren't a Fullback, plain and simple.  The OP stated that this player was a "Fullback" simply on his running ability alone.  And I don't know how running ability alone determines that one is a Fullback.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: