RSS

Coyote
(@coyote)
Copper
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
January 20, 2020 5:31 pm  

Greetings

Curious, are their specific plays you seek to set up, and if so, how do you set them up?   

Is there a sequence of plays, or point in the game, or spot on the field...   what tells you its time to run that play you expect to break big?

Thanx

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Copper
Wisconsin
January 20, 2020 8:06 pm  

I run power right till they are over-commiting to it. Then i run counter left.

Guard trap also works well with power right as the lbs are over playing power. 

I doubt that is any kind of strategy, more like playing within the system.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
January 21, 2020 10:30 am  

All the time. We've always run a lot of Beast. If the backside DE makes a tackle or comes close, we run a Counter. If a CB or safety makes a tackle, we throw. We have been pretty close to 100% "check with me" going on about 9 seasons, so we call plays that put the ball where the defense is not.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
January 21, 2020 11:31 am  

I'm kinda Old School.  I have a Series of plays each works off the other some to the left and some to the right.  As such, I tend to start off running a full series either left or right and seeing what works best.   I will pull a Woody Hayes and repeat the same play 2 or 3 times just to see if its a fluke.  Usually by the 3rd quarter I have a pretty good Idea what plays work to what side and then add Play Action and Counter plays. 

Methodical to say the least.  

Lets be honest here fella's very few Junior Football Teams are "Stout" from Left to Right and From Line to Safety.  There are chinks in the armor and/ or holes in the wall.  Observe any changes (Swap Side to Side) and see who is around the ball when they unpile.   They're telling you who the best players on the opponents defense are.  Now its time to see if your offense has the necessary adjustments to defeat them.      

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
January 21, 2020 12:30 pm  

I just scout the other team's defense.  Couldn't say in advance that I want our team to set up a particular play.  We just hope to have the tools to attack anywhere, and I can't predict what opportunity will open up.

However, once I see the weakness, it's up to the play selector (whether HC or OC) to decide when to pull the trigger, because the other team might well adjust to our success, and then it could be a while before another weakness is manifest by their adjustment.  DumCoach advises not to call the same play immediately again after a big gainer; I couldn't reduce it to a simple formula like that, because it might not be clear how weak a weakness is.

Examples I can think of where I've done this in games include one in about 2013 where the HC asked if the TE pop pass was open, since it was a play I'd gotten us to install.  In the first half our minimum play rule made that a bad strategy because the other team was playing a scrub at safety, and it looked like that would be about the only play he could stop!  In the second half they went without a safety, and I told our HC the pop pass was wide open.  He saved until a crucial point where it produced a needed TD.

In 2018 in one game our OC asked what I saw, and I told him the opposing CB on one side was taking his initial steps away from the ball, looked like a chicken move.  I thought we could exploit that by running to that side, and that if we did so, we should not put another receiver wide on that side, because the other team would then put a better defender there for coverage.  My observation was productive, albeit not so dramatically as in that other case.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
January 21, 2020 7:01 pm  

Coyote

Calling plays, setting up series, is really a lot more complicated than it seems. The very first issue is what is this particular team good at. You have to know what your team can and more importantly can't do.

Game Planning at the HS level is of course more complex than the youth level, but knowing your team is equally important. Typically at the HS level when I am putting together the game plan there will be several steps I go through. I want to identify the front & coverages, then evaluate personnel. See how they adjust to formations. Check what they do on for short yardage & long yardage. How often they blitz. Check for run blitzes & pass blitzes. See the coverages behind the blitzes.

Next I prepare a ready list. These are the plays we want to run for this week & opponent. We usually try to eliminate anything that doesn't look good in practice. We will usually have 4-5 "Shot Plays", these are plays we figure are scoring shots. We usually have a specific down & distance & hash we are looking to run them from.

Hope this helps.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

Coyote and Bill03 liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
January 22, 2020 8:38 am  

I have had to deal with extremely low numbers the last two seasons. We had only 14 players in at least four games in 2019. 2018 was similar. Due to our disadvantage in depth, we have to run the clock, shorten the game and give our guys as much of a breather as possible when we have the football.

I am, by necessity, a very patient play caller. We will beat and bang for 3, 4 or 5 yards a play all day long as long as we don't get in long yardage trouble situations. Often, ball control is also my best defense.

I am a card carrying member of the Sons of Warner, Cult of the One Wing. Therefore my bread and butter is Power and Wedge. I call Power and Wedge first. Then I call Wedge and Power. As long as we are gaining first downs and don't get in long yardage situations, we stick with the bread and butter. I do mix in strong side ISOs and strong side Sweeps depending on how the defense is defending Power and Wedge.

I use ISOs and Sweeps as adjustments to Power. If the D is crashing at our off tackle and giving us numbers outside, we will crack down and run wide. If the D is giving us a bubble between the points of attack for Power and Wedge, we part the waters and run ISO between.

I do try to keep 3-4 "trick" plays in my hip pocket that I call my get out of jail plays. I never have the time to install more than a handful of these plays and they are usually not as effective the second time called in the same game so I try to not call these plays until I really need them. These plays change from year to year depending on what my guys are good at.

Faking jet to one side and running sweep to the opposite side works great with some teams. Wedge with motion/action behind it can be a home run some times. Sometimes counters are money. We ran a cute little weak side option play this year that hit big a couple of times. We might even get crazy and throw a forward pass if we got someone who can throw and another one who can catch. We hid a running back at a covered tackle position, lined the tackle up in the back field, and then shifted to a 5 wide formation where the tackle was split out wide but covered and the running back was now an uncovered end and always wide open after the snap.

If I have to use all of my get out of jail plays in the first half to keep us in the game, I know we are probably in trouble. But if I can get to half time in a competitive game without using them, we are going to win.

That's pretty much been my play calling strategy the last couple of years. It looks like we have weathered the storm and our numbers of players should increase drastically next year. I would love to open things up and be more aggressive if we get some depth and some talented players who can execute a more aggressive offense.

This post was modified 1 month ago by 32wedge

Bill03 liked
ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
January 22, 2020 9:12 am  

This is exactly what I was talking about. Your first consideration is about your team & what they can do. I think often this gets overlooked when play calling. There is always what you want your team to be & what they actually are. An important part of coaching is realizing this.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

Coyote and 32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Copper
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
January 27, 2020 4:00 pm  

Gentlemen,

Thanx for your input.  I apologize for the long delay in getting back the threads, the flu bug caught up to me, and was quite vicious. 

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
January 28, 2020 9:33 am  

It's a funny thing, for many years I was a run to field guy. Last season we ran more to the boundary than I ever had. So, where it was Run to the field Pass to boundary; the trend is now the opposite. I actually got this from a few college coaches. Being an old dog it's hard to argue with what I always did. I did see the results though.

We almost exclusively ran Buck Sweep to the boundary. We formationed it, always had the Field side Bubble being live. Clearly it was our best play.

Joe

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
January 28, 2020 10:45 am  
Posted by: @mhcoach

We almost exclusively ran Buck Sweep to the boundary. We formationed it, always had the Field side Bubble being live. Clearly it was our best play.

"Live" meaning bubble pass was always open to the wide side?  Or "live" in the sense that you had a call or option for it?

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Bob Goodman

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
January 28, 2020 11:13 am  

"LIVE" meaning pre-snap post-snap choice for the QB. Ok. so here's where it takes a little thought. We find the APEX  player, if he's too far inside we throw the Bubble on the snap. The QB usually only lets the RB know he is throwing. If the APEX player folds inside on the snap the QB will pull on the "Ride" and throw the Bubble.

Believe it or not we can also do it with Smoke, really it depends on the coverage.

Joe

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Copper
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
January 28, 2020 12:17 pm  
Posted by: @mhcoach

We will usually have 4-5 "Shot Plays", these are plays we figure are scoring shots. We usually have a specific down & distance & hash we are looking to run them from.

Hi Joe, 

This is kinda what I had in mind.  What down and distance and play were you looking to set up?

Last couple yrs, we found waggling off the Belly Weak gave us an easy pass & catch to the TE.  '18 season we used it so much for our 2 pt conversion we thought sure everyone would be sitting on the play by the end of the season.   Maybe they tried, but only had to fake out 8 - 9 yr olds, not their coaches.     Last season ('19) we secured the game in the championship with it (we had been up by 2 TD's in 4th Q.  gave up a Def TD off a fumble, suddenly only up by 8 pts), ran Belly weak 4 of 5 plays, nice drive, then hit the waggle for a 23 yd TD, with about 2 minutes in the game, to put it away.

Before that, we didn't really have a 'shot' play, though.  

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
January 28, 2020 12:54 pm  

@coyote

So, usually I have one shot play

at our own 1.

at our 20

at mid field

at their 20

Now, that's not to say they all have to be different plays. Usually at the HS level they are but not always. In our Game Plan we will actually say, such a down & distance at such a yard line & hash we want this play.

It's also possible one of these will be on our 2 pt play list. We usually have 3 2pt plays. I have only once ever gotten to all 3.

Joe

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
January 29, 2020 9:19 am  

Here is a thought:

Our 2 pt plays maybe the same from week to week, rarely changing unless the opponent gives us something special down on the goal line. Last season we attempted 5 2pt plays & were 100%. We ran the same play all 5 times(Jumbo Power Pass). When I called it the fifth time I heard grumbling in the Headset. When it worked then it was "good call coach". 

Success or Failure can determine a good or bad call. This goes back to knowing what your team can & can't do.

Joe

Coyote and 32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: