Notifications

Teaching linemen to Block  

Page 1 / 4
  RSS

JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
September 12, 2017 10:35 am  

Gents I have a problem and not sure how to fix it. My o line is struggling. We run the off tackle as our primary goto play in an unbalanced formation. after watching film last night my brain hurts. our power side of the line is not blocking. My line coach is a stud. works on tech and power. In practice we run it 80% of where I think we can run it. In a game though - They just flat out stand up and block wrong. We have seen a 4-4 for the last several weeks. Our base o blocking accounts for this. Here is a copy of the play. I am having a hard time getting my edge tackle to recognize who he block when there is any variation to the scheme. When he doesn't do his job it dominoes in to poor blocking all around.

Please coach this coach  on how to get my line to think while firing off in a game. 

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold
DC
September 12, 2017 10:44 am  

Tough to answer without more details, but I can tell you what I do on the sideline when things aren't working. I stole this from Clark years ago.

Get a sub for that kid and have that sub stand next to you and tell him you are both going to watch the tackle. If the tackle messes up, the sub goes in and the tackle comes to you. You tell him how he messed up and then tell him you're going to watch his sub together. When that sub makes a mistake, the first tackle goes back in. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Usually I find out they don't realize they've messed up and what that means without being able to see what you're seeing.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 12, 2017 10:46 am  

Is the 4 back doing a yo yo motion?

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 12, 2017 11:45 am  

I'm not joking about this, but I call out my players and their blocking assignment from the sideline. We run down the hash with the strong side on our sideline and I literally call them out. "Joey 31!" "Johnny 95!"

I did this all Spring and it worked. Once we started rolling, the line would figure it out and I'd shut up. This Fall, I only do it when we are getting stopped.

Another thing we do is to identify. Once they have the blocking call, they point. Two guys pointing at the same guy is bad (we don't double team). One guy not getting pointed at is worse. They talk it over and fix it.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
September 12, 2017 12:00 pm  

For Power, Counter, and just about everything else, I like track schemes, personally--SAB and TKO are two examples you'll see written about a lot on here.  A kid just needs to know to get his head in front of a guy in his inside gap or get on his railroad track to the BSLB and block whatever shows.  It's very simple and takes the guessswork out, especially when fronts change or the defense stunts.

For us, Power is the safest and simplest thing for us to run: everyone on the playside of the OL blocks down on his inside gap, tracking to the BSLB if there's nothing showing there.  The BSG will pull and wrap through the hole to the PSLB while the C fills for him by blocking his backside gap.  A back will kick out the DE.  You can add more wrappers from the backfield if you need to.  That holds up against pretty much every single defense there is.  Pulling playside OL can get a little dicey sometimes without someone who can always fill for them.  Make sure you have every playside gap accounted for.

Kids still screw it up, even at the HS level, for a little while until I eventually get them to understand the concept that he's just blocking the first thing that shows to the inside.  Some slow learners somehow have brain farts after a couple of weeks, but even they come around eventually.

I'll take them and line them up on a dummy defense (half line is fine for this if you have low numbers) and do the ol' bird dog drill when we install the play.  I'll even take them and walk them through it by the back of the jersey and walk him on his track.  Then we'll do the steps on air for everyone to fit to their blocks.  Then we walk through it again slowly.  Then we drill it live.

We stress aiming points a lot to keep the OL low.  We like to aim to get facemask to the opposite thighboard on our downblocks, opening up completely flat with head in front and fitting with our outside shoulder on the DL's hip.  The steps need to be short and choppy to get into position and get movement.  I also like to have them push off their down hand to get a little more surge.  Make sure they're in good stances and taking good steps.  If they don't have their knees bent, are unbalanced in their stances, step with the wrong foot, have tight hamstrings (static hamstring stretches are fine) or take too long of a first step, they'll have to pop up and gather themsleves, which causes them to play high and suck.

I'm having a hard time reading your diagram.  Is there ever a time on your power play where your T blocks a man on him or outside?  Do you want them blocking things differently against different fronts?  I'd be wary of that and try to cut it out, if possible.

KISS.  It's hard, especially for new linemen, to see the big picture.  If you're dealing with older ages, you can explain the concept of the play ("On Power, we want to build a wall of downblocks and kick out the first thing outside of that, then send someone through for the LB") and that will help some kids get it, but you still need to keep the picture small and consistent for everybody.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
September 12, 2017 12:08 pm  

I'm a little fuzzy on how your line coach is a stud.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
September 12, 2017 12:12 pm  

I'm a little fuzzy on how your line coach is a stud.

Me too.

He might be big and strong and might have even been a great former player, but if they ain't blocking then he ain't much of a coach.

ReplyQuote
(@_53_)
Copper
September 12, 2017 12:27 pm  

Start coaching the line if they're just standing up and not hitting anyone during games. Sounds like you're getting zero coaching there if that's an across the board issue.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
September 12, 2017 12:41 pm  

Me too.

He might be big and strong and might have even been a great former player, but if they ain't blocking then he ain't much of a coach.

There is something to be said about the term "You can lead a horse to water but, you cant make him drink."  I have tried calling out numbers, class room, 10 perfect plays, They can and do point to their assignment.  However, they are very inconsistent in application and effort.  You can only fire so many kids before you run out of options.  Rather than resort to "Just Block Somebody" we continue to run the same routines over and over and over and over.  I have even reduced our Playbook to exclude those plays we struggled the most with. 

Extremely vanilla and predictable. When it all times up, and everyone does their job to a certain degree, we Pop Off 10 yards at a crack.  its getting to the consistent point that has been most elusive.   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
September 12, 2017 1:52 pm  

Is the 4 back doing a yo yo motion?

YES

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 12, 2017 2:20 pm  

YES

Cool. Then I would change his rules to "insert" him like Joe does with his H back at times.

Still Yo Yo but he leads.

Now you have a simple Power Scheme line Arnold suggest but instead of DOWN DOWN LEAD....ITS DOWN DOWN KICK. The pulling OG and the 4 back switch rules. Much easier for both players as far a vision goes. Does not matter now that the 4 back is ahead of the OG.

Not sure why your Power Tackle is blowing it.....simple rules....ON DOWN vs a 40 front with ON being rather rare unless its a LB'r.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
September 12, 2017 2:24 pm  

Me too.

He is quiet giant. He is not a highschool super star  :D. Clam and passionate about what he does. Very patient. I think he is a great man of character as well.
Does that mean he is a great coach? He coached superstars and made them better this spring. Made be he is coaching above their heads.

I will give the line a shot this week and hand off tinys to my other coach. The oline coach is out of town.

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
September 12, 2017 2:26 pm  

I'm not joking about this, but I call out my players and their blocking assignment from the sideline. We run down the hash with the strong side on our sideline and I literally call them out. "Joey 31!" "Johnny 95!"

I did this all Spring and it worked. Once we started rolling, the line would figure it out and I'd shut up. This Fall, I only do it when we are getting stopped.

Another thing we do is to identify. Once they have the blocking call, they point. Two guys pointing at the same guy is bad (we don't double team). One guy not getting pointed at is worse. They talk it over and fix it.

I am going to do this. Game Training!

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
September 12, 2017 2:34 pm  

Cool. Then I would change his rules to "insert" him like Joe does with his H back at times.

Now you have a simple Power Scheme line Arnold suggest but instead of DOWN DOWN LEAD....ITS DOWN DOWN KICK. The pulling OG and the 4 back switch rules. Much easier for both players as far a vision goes. Does not matter now that the 4 back is ahead of the OG.

Not sure why your Power Tackle is blowing it.....simple rules....ON DOWN vs a 40 front with ON being rather rare unless its a LB'r.

My ot power rule is anything inside shade. Head up will be #4

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
September 12, 2017 2:39 pm  

We do have a power kick play when we come across a stud DE.  Rule change this year. DE can flex out as far as he wants. Has to be in a 3 point stance.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: