Page 3 / 3
  RSS

Monster
(@monster)
Gold
February 21, 2020 1:42 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp
Posted by: @coache

Seems simple enough...until you get into the details of how to block that somebody, I would presume. 

True.

But I think the biggest issue isn't what they're being taught, but IF they're being taught.  And that goes back to the majority of problems of offensive line play at the youth level.  It's not the scheme (or even the lack of one) that's as big of an issue as the lack of attention to detail in coaching.  Many coaches believe that "It's so simple.  Just block the guy ahead of you."  And while it may be "simple," that doesn't mean it's easy.  And that's where most coaches (regardless of experience or level) make the mistake.  If something is simple, they think that it doesn't require a great deal of practice.  Whereas the mindset should be, if we want to be good at it, we need to invest the required amount of time to be good at it.

--Dave

This is, in my opinion and experience, one of the most misunderstood aspects of coaching. Simple ain't easy and telling ain't coaching.

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: