Type of offense ? (...

Notifications

Type of offense ? (Youth 10-12 year old)  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

garnerr1
(@garnerr1)
Copper
November 29, 2019 8:01 am  

Hello Coaches .. quick question .. I coach a group of 10-12 year old kids (total of 15). In our 8-team league, we have 4 pre-season practices and 1 practice/week when the season starts. Most of the kids have played before so experience is there.

Question .. with such little practice time available, what offense/defense do you think I should install?

League rules..

Defense:

No man on center. 6 max on line, 3 minimum between tackle box. Also, LB's/CB's/Safety must be at least 5 yards from line of scrimmage
before ball snaps.

Offense:

Must have 2 men in backfield between tackles before ball snaps.

I'm leaning towards the DW on offense and 6-2 wide tackle on defense. Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Coach Garner

rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
November 29, 2019 9:08 am  

For offense i would suggest UBSW. You can install six plays in a very short time and have a powerful offense based around 16 power. The blocking rules are GOD which is an easy teach since your line won't block 2nd level defenders. I would recommend selecting an athletic RG since he will be pulling on most plays, but if you have 2 kids in consideration for BB, 1 of them is your pulling guard.

If you look in the offensive playbooks section there is a very simple power point, i believe it is called the dumcoach single wing power point, which gives you a basic layout for a successful SW offense.

As for the defense, i agree the WT6 is a great option. Very good against running game, especially strong against sweep if you train your ends properly. Also allows MPPs to be played at the DG positions, that is a luxury most defenses don't afford.

My suggestion from past experiences is not to play MPPs at corner in this defense, especially if you anticipate more passing than in younger age groups. Poor play at corner will absolutely kill you.

Hope this is helpful.

Ryan

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
November 29, 2019 12:19 pm  

DCWing T, Double Wing

I prefer Jack's 6-3 Defense

Dusty

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
garnerr1
(@garnerr1)
Copper
November 29, 2019 1:05 pm  

Thanks Dusty and Ryan ...

@Ryan, I forgot to mention, our league does not allow UB line.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 29, 2019 1:27 pm  

we have 4 pre-season practices and 1 practice/week when the season starts.

How many hours per practice?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
garnerr1
(@garnerr1)
Copper
November 29, 2019 1:29 pm  

Hello Dave .. 2 hour practices.

ReplyQuote
garnerr1
(@garnerr1)
Copper
November 29, 2019 1:32 pm  

Ryan .. you mention above, training the DE's in a 6-2 (against the sweep). Do you know of any drills to do this?

ReplyQuote
Rockets11
(@rockets11)
Bronze
November 29, 2019 1:33 pm  

what offense/defense do you think I should install?

League rules..

Defense:

No man on center. 6 max on line, 3 minimum between tackle box. Also, LB's/CB's/Safety must be at least 5 yards from line of scrimmage
before ball snaps.

Offense run whatever the heck you want. ::)

Defense id look into 6-3. Wide tackle 6 would be tough with the linebackers having to be back so far

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 29, 2019 1:33 pm  

Question .. with such little practice time available, what offense/defense do you think I should install?

If these are players you've had before, why change from that?  If they're familiar with it, that can save you a significant amount of time.

I would install what you know.  For instance, since I'm a Double Wing guy, I can install that offense much faster and more thoroughly than something else.

Beast should be the fastest install there is.  Excellent offense with plenty of tools to work with.  If I'm not installing something I already know (or that my players already know), then I'm installing Beast and using the rest of my practice time for fundamentals.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 29, 2019 1:35 pm  

Hello Dave .. 2 hour practices.

How many days is the "one week of practice?"  Five?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
garnerr1
(@garnerr1)
Copper
November 29, 2019 2:23 pm  

Hello Dave .. 1 day per week during the season is all that's allowed. Also, the kids in the league have playing experience but are rarely on the same team every year (REC ball)

In terms of coaching assistants, how many do you think is required? I had 1-2 dad's come to practices last year but were not that helpful. I had to do a lot on my own.

Your thoughts?

Thanks again,

Coach Garner

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
November 29, 2019 3:19 pm  

Defense with little time and little experiance coach or player,  is probably jack 6-3. Out the box this thing can stop most of the youth offenses.

Offense is where things get tricky.  Which ever route you decide the things that hurt a youth offense the most are

- center and qb exchange gun or under center. This exchange needs practiced a lot, i recommended in pre practice at least 20 snaps. Center fires out after snapping, qb goes through steps for hand off or pass drop

- blocking... being good blockers is a lot about teaching effectively and practicing it efficiently.

- qb to rb exchange- practice drills

- turnovers...mainly from ball carriers, again teach how to secure and handle the ball in traffic and open field.

No matter what you run offensively focusing on these things should improve your offense drastically.

Good luck

Zach

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
November 29, 2019 3:41 pm  

Our leagues are a lot alike. My rec league changes players every year (unless it's a returning team, which there almost never is). We also have the "A" Gap rule, which is similar to what you describe.

For defense, I strongly recommend the Killer Bee. I ran it last year for my 8U team and we had a lot of success with it. Coach Wilkins does a great job of explaining how to install it and the coaches in the forum are super helpful in case you run into anything unexpected. This is my defense for the rest of my career.

On offense, I've used the Balanced Single Wing in the past and plan to use the UC Double Wing this fall. Hopefully, there's not a rule against a direct snap to anyone other than the QB, so you can really get creative. This rule exists for our league at 8U, but goes away at 10U.

I hope this helps!

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
garnerr1
(@garnerr1)
Copper
November 29, 2019 3:50 pm  

Thanks Zach and Coach Terry .. this is really good stuff !

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 29, 2019 5:13 pm  

1 day per week during the season is all that's allowed.

--Then honestly, I would not run an offense.  I'd group together an inside play, outside play, misdirection play and a pass and have a blocking scheme for each play, or one blocking scheme for all plays, if the plays come from the same system.

In terms of coaching assistants, how many do you think is required?

--15 players?  I've done 40 kids with 2 coaches, and by myself with 25.
Ideally, you want one at least for line (O&D), one for backs (O&D), one for specialty assignments (someone who can do one-on-one work with players who are behind, work the onside kick with your Kicker, rep your Punter, rep your Deep Snapper and Holder, etc.)  But certainly, take as many good ones as you can get.  I built my staff in the off-season so that once the season got here, they knew what their assignments were and how to teach them.

I had 1-2 dad's come to practices last year but were not that helpful.

--When did you get them?

I had to do a lot on my own.

--Then you may have to give an off-day clinic meeting (or several), to get them up to speed.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: