Unbalanced Rocket T...

Notifications

Unbalanced Rocket Toss question  

RSS

flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
September 23, 2019 2:40 am  

I am pretty comfortable teaching the technique/purpose for Rocket Toss. My fear is, if I want to go unbalanced to get more blockers at the POA and to take advantage of a Defense who may not be coached well in shifting over; how do I teach my OL who to block...when I don't know how the defense will line up? Will they shift over? Will they be here or there...etc??

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 23, 2019 4:02 am  

I am pretty comfortable teaching the technique/purpose for Rocket Toss. My fear is, if I want to go unbalanced to get more blockers at the POA and to take advantage of a Defense who may not be coached well in shifting over; how do I teach my OL who to block...when I don't know how the defense will line up? Will they shift over? Will they be here or there...etc??

Rocket works best to an "open" formation or non tight end side.

You overload, you defeat the intent of the play.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
September 23, 2019 5:23 am  

I agree with Zach.

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 23, 2019 6:16 am  

Go unbalanced and run Rocket the other way.  They'll shift to the unbalanced side if you show them you're unbalanced.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
September 23, 2019 6:34 am  

The rules for the OL shouldn't change much--reach block whatever's in your play side gap.  Just run your track and get your head across the first thing that shows.  Simple.

If you're using an End Over, things can get a little more complicated, but this is why I like some type of count system on the edge.  The first receiver will block the 2nd defender on or outside the EMOL.  The next guy out blocks the 3rd defender to the sideline.  Then the next guy blocks the 4th.

If the defense is aligned in such a way that they have 1 more guy there than you can block, that means they're weak somewhere else.  Use the same formation and exploit that.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
September 23, 2019 6:36 am  

Rocket works best to an "open" formation or non tight end side.

You overload, you defeat the intent of the play.

End Over can be good for helping to get a +1 on the edge.  That's why you see Flexbone teams use it a lot to get an extra blocker on the edge for option and Rocket.

It just depends on how they adjust, if they adjust at all.

Rocket can be a great play to the short side of an unbalanced set, too.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
September 23, 2019 7:02 am  

While he lines up in a slightly different set, Coach Cox has a toss play that will probably do what you want.

Here's forum:

http://www.dumcoach.com/index.php?topic=29085.0

Go the second post and download the Cox Rifle UTC. The play you want is 29 Rifle Jet (he shows how to block versus adjusted and non-adjusted defenses).

I hope this is helpful. I run mostly Single Wing, but plan on using this play this season.

Coach Terry

ReplyQuote
flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
September 24, 2019 7:30 pm  

Makes sense blockandtackle, I think I'm just over thinking it.

Another thing I'm debating, instead of Gun Rocket, thoughts on Speed option instead as an outside perimeter play? Does it hit a lot slower than rocket?

I'm debating the merits of optioning the DE instead of reach blocking but not sure if speed option will be able to beat the inside blitz if it were to come.

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
September 25, 2019 6:17 am  

We run a ton of Speed Option from out Spread Package.

We run it with motion and with out motion.  We run it to the motion side and away from motion.

Great "check with me" play-find the numbers and call the side.  It also good to run away from their best studs.

We will start next week running it from under center-lots of backside plays.

It is a great play against the blitz-especially the A Gap blitzes that everyone is so enamored with these days.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
September 25, 2019 8:41 am  

Another thing I'm debating, instead of Gun Rocket, thoughts on Speed option instead as an outside perimeter play? Does it hit a lot slower than rocket?

I'm debating the merits of optioning the DE instead of reach blocking but not sure if speed option will be able to beat the inside blitz if it were to come.

Speed Option can be good.  It'll hit slightly slower, but you're making up for it by using the QB to account for another guy on the edge, so it evens out.  The issue to me is that you're introducing a few more variables there.

The big one is if that you have to make sure the man you're optioning is isolated.  If a LB shoots B gap or comes off the edge untouched, the option can get screwy.  The other thing is that your QB is going to take some big hits when you run it.  A lot of QBs hate running speed option because they think it's a QB killer.

I've run Rocket from a short pistol and it looked pretty good, but in the gun I'd rather run Jet Sweep and incorporate the RB as an offset lead blocker or faker.  It's just a little easier to hand the ball off in front of a QB who's already 4-5 yards deep.  Defenses still have to play it essentially the same way, though a B gap blitzes is a little more dangerous to a Jet than a Rocket.

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
September 26, 2019 10:57 am  

Speed option will definitely hit slower than Rocket.....I like it to the boundary.

ReplyQuote
Share: