Page 2 / 2
  RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 1, 2019 7:41 am  

Our QB Sneak is a "goose & go" where the other nine offensive players stay in their original position.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver
August 1, 2019 7:41 am  

I appreciate the feedback guys. Still not done with my "analysis", so please keep the blocking schemes coming. If this turns into a defensive conversation, I'll move the thread.

So I was watching Columbine (Inside Veer from the Power T) play Arvada West. A significant number of kids that we coach go on to AW. AW was significantly over matched up front. Columbine has been a power running team since the 90s and are a perennial contender for state champs. CHS' first two drives were brutal. 12 yards. 10 yards. 8 yards. 5 yards. 15 yards. This was all running exactly 2 plays. On their 3rd drive, AW went Amoeba and actually stopped that drive and the 4th drive. I was super excited and texted Mahonz. At halftime, the score was 19-14, CHS. AW was really shocking the world.

2nd half, Columbine adjusted. They ran what I call a "HS Wedge". This is where the line doesn't fit each other, but run downfield elbow to elbow and road grade everything in their path. Final score, 53-27, CHS. CHS' FB scored 6 TDs on "22 Dive".

I thought I had just found the Achilles' heel of the Amoeba. We faced 1 team in the Spring that ran a traditional, DW style wedge and handled them just fine, but they were a dog butt team. There was a tremendous power running team that we played first game of the season. I adjusted to them by going back to a traditional 33 stack and had my TNT cut their tackles and C. Stopped them in their tracks.

I think we have little to worry about with our upcoming 3rd grade opponents. O-line play was universally abysmal, so I don't think I need to worry about teams that are very good at climbing. Still, it's nice to be prepared for those teams who surprise us.

I'm guessing the abmoeba gave them fits since they run WingT and rule block (and they're very good at it). Nice adjustment by Columbine to just smash it up the middle counting on their bigs to get a push up front.

Also, look at Clark's "jailbreak" for your QB sneak if your Center can sit on whoever's lined up over him, especially if the DLine is shooting off hard and fast.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 1, 2019 8:17 am  

Am I allowed to use quarterback sidesaddle for the sneak? 

100% yes!  The team who beat us (badly) in the playoffs is a side saddle team. They "wedge" from it and their FB absolutely destroyed us. I put "wedge" in quotes because they don't really block it that well. The sidesaddle deception combined with this FB's talent makes the play go. It's my guess that our Amoeba zero front is the perfect defense for this play.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
August 1, 2019 6:49 pm  

Yes sir.  If you get a 5 man front and your line knows how to midline it's free yards. I think it would work well out of the I.

Our kids loved midline.  Anytime the A gaps were clear they could hardly wait to come running over and ask/beg me to call midline.

This year I'll be running it against two league mandated 2 techs with 7 year olds.  I have a 133 pound FB so will use the "20 Midline" handoff but, instead of using "20 Midline Trap" blocking I will use "20 Midline Jailbreak" (Gumby's described blocking).  I doubt any 7 year old MPP 2 tech will volunteer himself for the sacrifice.

"Midline" is a great play.  I don't think I've ever gotten less than 7 yards.

For QB sneak I too am "10 Wedge" but will also have the QB three step drop and then run "trap draw" with an empty backfield to spread the DB's everywhere.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze
August 2, 2019 6:09 am  

Our QB Sneak is a "goose & go" where the other nine offensive players stay in their original position.

--Dave

I've been contemplating combining that with a freeze play. Basically, the same as anyone else runs freeze play except for when/if the defense doesn't fall for the fake backfield motion we have the QB & C "goose & go" instead of the entire offense running a play on the "3rd Hut! Hut!" or, whatever.

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 2, 2019 7:11 am  

I've been contemplating combining that with a freeze play. Basically, the same as anyone else runs freeze play except for when/if the defense doesn't fall for the fake backfield motion we have the QB & C "goose & go" instead of the entire offense running a play on the "3rd Hut! Hut!" or, whatever

Yes, we used it like that.  Our Freeze play always has a play tag with it, so that we don't have to burn a time-out.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
August 2, 2019 11:10 am  

I've been contemplating combining that with a freeze play. Basically, the same as anyone else runs freeze play except for when/if the defense doesn't fall for the fake backfield motion we have the QB & C "goose & go" instead of the entire offense running a play on the "3rd Hut! Hut!" or, whatever.

Interesting, probably a good time to catch them napping.  Would you try to use any additional deception to get the defense to think the ball isn't in play once it is?

My sleeper plays have a bit of such deception because the fullback's calling the signals as usual, but not taking the snap, so he can keep up the cadence after the snap.  One such play is the sleeper sneak.  The other is sleeper fly, where he slips the ball to the fly back on his usual motion path.  My HC from 2015 tried sleeper fly against us in 2016, but it didn't work.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
August 3, 2019 8:58 am  

Watching a HS game from last year, I may have stumbled upon a weakness in the Amoeba defense. So those of you who have run I formation with a FB AND have a grasp of blocking schemes . . .

How do you block the old "22 Dive" aka "FB Dive"?

Also . . .

How do you block your QB sneak? (or do you just let him run past the o-line?)

Appreciate the feedback in advance.

When I've coached in I and option systems...

We'd aim the dive at the A or B gap bubble.  We'd basically just take our inside veer scheme, but instead of having the T veer release to PSLB, he'd block down.  That means the G would base a DL on him (2i/2/3 tech) and go up to the first LB head up/inside if he was uncovered.  Everyone from the C on back would just scoop through his playside gap through the thighs of DL and on up to LB if nothing showed.  Vs. a 4i, we'd make a line call to have the G block out on a 4i tech while the T would "loop release" outside the 4i and pin the PSLB to the inside.

Having a TE in the front makes this a little bit more complicated--the TE and OL basically need to communicate where that DE is.  Vs. a 6/9 tech, the DE would base out and T would base anything on him up to PSLB.  Vs. a 4/5/7 tech, the T would base out and TE would arc release.

QB sneak was easy: wedge it like the DW teams do  The C sets the wedge.  The OL all get foot to foot and hip to hip and put all their force into the shoulder of the guy inside of them.  All they're doing is trying to plow forward and stay hip to hip and foot to foot for as long as possible.  It takes about 10 minutes to install and it's an easy short yardage pickup if you're under C.  Our OL loved it.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: