Notifications
Clear all

Wedge or Trap?

Page 1 / 4

Coach Jeff
(@coach-jeff)
Bronze
Topic starter  

We're a Wing T Team, so we run trap. However, we installed Wedge as well and we've gotten more mileage off of wedge. This past season we've gotten a little bit more away from trap and stuck with wedge, off of jet sweep action.  It difficult to run trap against theses loaded boxes we see on the youth football level. Wedge allowed us to slice right through. Only issue is that we had to bring out splits down from 2 foot to 1 when we run wedge, so that's a big tell however, it still worked.

If you could run just one of these which one would you run and why?

For the promotion and instruction of youth football! http://www.youthfootballonline.com

Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

Wedge and i can show u why its a great scheme if your willing to treat it like 1 . We were losing to much timeon trap and getting no bang for our buck so about 6 years ago i added wedge to Hybrid Wing

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

Trap's good with older kids, especially HS and up, as a way to control a stud 3 or 4 tech who's causing problems.

I still prefer to have a wedge for short yardage at those age levels, too.

With MS ages (11-13U), run the one you know the best.

With younger kids (10U)--just run wedge.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

BLASPHEMY!

Vs mediocre/bad teams, sure, wedge is fine. If you want to win championships, you better be good at trap. The one play that has consistantly worked for us vs great teams is trap. The next most consistent play is Buck Sweep, & if you’re running Buck w/o Trap, I think youmre really short changing yourself.

I’ve never had a season where trap wasn’t our most consistent big play vs good teams. Never. After years of coaching the 13U’s, I moved down to 9U & invested in trap (despite many believe you shouldn’t at this age). We used tackle trap instead of guard trap, & it was literally the play that won us our D1 title. Our 2 toughest opponents who we beat by a colbined 4 poiints, just got gouged by trap. Including our go ahead 50 yard score w/ a 1:30 left in the title game.

I told my coaching staff all the time. When you’re in the hunt for titles, most of the time you spend preparing & perfecting stuff is for one or two teams. Trap is a 1 or 2 teams play. But ESSENTIAL to beating those 1 or 2 teams.

If you’re not gouging teams for 20-30-40-60 yard plays w/ trap, it’s likely cuz you’re coaching it wrong, and/or you don’t have enough variations of it.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Once you get the blocking scheme down, there’s a ton of different ways to go about it. This play typically averages us 20+ YPC. Here it is w/ the game on the line in our semi final.

https://www.hudl.com/v/2B65tu

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

BLASPHEMY!

If you’re not gouging teams for 20-30-40-60 yard plays w/ trap, it’s likely cuz you’re coaching it wrong, and/or you don’t have enough variations of it.

If you can coach Trap in youth ball, you will gash people because of how the DL tend to just fly upfield.  There's a lot of details to coaching that play that many coaches don't get at first, though.

I'm glad you pointed out the variations.  The best thing about the Trap with older kids is all the adjustments you can run off it.  You can run it to different players (Jet Sweep with a complimentary QB Trap is SWEET!) or off different backfield actions (Buck Trap, Jet Trap, Rocket Trap, Spin Trap, etc.) or you can simply run different tags off it:

Short G Trap
Long G Trap
Tackle Trap
Fold (base block the DT, trap the MLB)
Influence Trap
Base Trap (not really a "trap," per se, but it's an adjustment you can pull out to the trap action and path)

And, if you're feeling adventurous (or are a glutton for your own punishment as a coach)... Draw Trap and the Trap Option series.  😉

It's not necessarily too much to teach both, since Wedge is the easiest play to install next to the kneel down.

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

To me tackle trap is a different play and is easier to time up . They all work if you can teach it i just prefer the physical nature of wedge hurdle the dead and trample the weak !

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

To me tackle trap is a different play and is easier to time up . They all work if you can teach it i just prefer the physical nature of wedge hurdle the dead and trample the weak !

We use guard trap when vs odd fronts, tackle trap vs even. We run tackle trap to the FB essentially the same exact way guard trap is run. We do it so we can still get a double team vs double 1’s. Double the BS1, trap the front side 1.

We’ve basically made it so we can run trap vs anyone. We run it vs even & odd. We run it to our 2,3, 4 (sometimes, been a while), & 5. Off buck action, jet, veer, belly.

To me Wedge should be in the playbook. It’s a solid play. But trap is a true homerun hitter. And yes, I’ve seen all the 50 yard runs on wedge vs crappy teams. If you get teams that don’t want to cut wedge, it’s decinitely pretty deadly. But i’ve never seen an elite team getting destroyed by wedge. Happens all the time w/ trap.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

I love trap plays, in the days of wing t and double wing that was my "keep the drive alive " go to's.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

Agreed on variations of trap scheme and its ability to gash sound defenses . But as far as wedge gashing elite teams keep your eyes open cuz im cycling down for 1st time in yera and wedge will be 2nd play installed off buck action and some other new looks we've added were i can move wedge and ball around. We will install trap but thinking more like a ctr trap strait agap quick hitter off ripper or lizzer motion.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

If you can coach Trap in youth ball, you will gash people because of how the DL tend to just fly upfield.  There's a lot of details to coaching that play that many coaches don't get at first, though.

I'm glad you pointed out the variations.  The best thing about the Trap with older kids is all the adjustments you can run off it.  You can run it to different players (Jet Sweep with a complimentary QB Trap is SWEET!) or off different backfield actions (Buck Trap, Jet Trap, Rocket Trap, Spin Trap, etc.) or you can simply run different tags off it:

Short G Trap
Long G Trap
Tackle Trap
Fold (base block the DT, trap the MLB)
Influence Trap
Base Trap (not really a "trap," per se, but it's an adjustment you can pull out to the trap action and path)

And, if you're feeling adventurous (or are a glutton for your own punishment as a coach)... Draw Trap and the Trap Option series.  😉

It's not necessarily too much to teach both, since Wedge is the easiest play to install next to the kneel down.

Ya, I mean we were able to do a lot of this stuff at 9u. We were the only team at that age level running between the guards w/ success. It really does give you a huge advantage.

To me if you’re nkt running trap schemes as a primary staple, you should probably run a different offense. It compliments everything so well.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Agreed on variations of trap scheme and its ability to gash sound defenses . But as far as wedge gashing elite teams keep your eyes open cuz im cycling down for 1st time in yera and wedge will be 2nd play installed off buck action and some other new looks we've added were i can move wedge and ball around. We will install trap but thinking more like a ctr trap strait agap quick hitter off ripper or lizzer motion.

I’d be willing to have my mind changed if someone posted video of 50 yard wedges in a championship game. In my experience, every wedge highlight film i’ve seen has been against teams that aren’t cutting or well coached.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good play. We run it. But it’s nothing compared to the trap game.

ReplyQuote
Sharkbait
(@sharkbait)
Copper

I feel like wedge is something I will call for a 1 or 2 yd play. Trap is a weapon of my offense that I set up or use to set up. I install wedge. I rep the heck out of trap. Every day we practice trap and I have kids who want to play the o-line just to get to pour some syrup, that's what we do on pancakes. 🙂

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

Install both. It keeps them from cutting, bull rushing, or stalling.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

If you could run just one of these which one would you run and why?

With 13Us as your profile says, trap.  Younger than that, wedge.

To succeed w trap, you need opposing DL who are worthwhile trapping, & you need to get your own OL on their LBs.  These circumstances tend to be absent from younger teams.

However, a lot of it has to do w what offense I'm running generally.  In my favorite system I don't need much in the way of line splits, so I don't sacrifice much to be in a wedge-friendly formation.  If I were using an unbalanced line, wedge wouldn't be as easy.  But if I were running wing T (as I am now) or I, I'd want to stay in splits that are not conducive to wedging.  Could use adjustable splits as Clark recommends, but since wedge is so easy to stop if you see it coming, I'm afraid of giving up that tell, especially since my type of wedge is shoulder-into-butt, not a looser type of wedge.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: