Notifications
Clear all

What are your absolute must-have plays?

Page 1 / 4

coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold
Topic starter  

If you could only run 6 plays as your offense, what would they be?

For us, I think I would go with:

Power
Speed Option
Smoke Screen
RB Slow Screen
Stick
Shallow

It's difficult leaving Trap, Counter, Sweep, Slant/Wheel, Smash, 4-Verts, and others off the list, but if I could only have 6, I think those would be it.  At least, that would be it as my offense exists today - if I could only have 6 plays I would probably evolve my offense to include these 6:

Alert (Power-Read Option with Smoke Screen as the 3rd option)
Speed Option
Counter
RB Slow Screen
Stick
Shallow

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Here we go with the "Sainted, or Simple Six"! Gotta love this! 

Dives, Leads, Sweep, Power, Play Action, Counter.  😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold
Topic starter  

Here we go with the "Sainted, or Simple Six"! Gotta love this! 

Dives, Leads, Sweep, Power, Play Action, Counter.  😉

Yeah, as I was writing the OP it occurred to me that this question would be much more simple for the "system" offenses to answer. If you're multiple or non-series based, picking just a handful of plays is much more difficult.  Another argument in favor of series-based offenses at the youth level.  In my own writing, you can see an acknowledgement of that - Alert, which a single play call, is basically a series-based concept.  If I literally had to be restricted to only 6 plays, I think I would definitely move more towards a series-based offense.  I think a lot of what I do now is series-based (or at least series inspired), but if I really could only run 6 plays, I would go full-on series-based and make those six plays look as much like each other as possible.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Do I get to call a play run to L & R (from the same formation) one play?  If so, if I had to cut down the system I want to install to 6, they'd be:

QB wedge
fly/jet
dive (off guard)
off tackle
trap (between guards)
sweep run-pass option

The trap is faked on the off-tackle & sweep RUPO, and the wider run is faked on the trap.  The fly is faked on many of the other plays, and the dive & wide run the other way is faked on the fly.

Do I get to use wedge blocking "free" as a tag on other plays?

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

Zone
Stretch
Drive
Stick
Sail

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

For us, I think I would go with:

Power
Speed Option
Smoke Screen
RB Slow Screen
Stick
Shallow

It's difficult leaving Trap, Counter, Sweep, Slant/Wheel, Smash, 4-Verts, and others off the list, but if I could only have 6, I think those would be it.  At least, that would be it as my offense exists today - if I could only have 6 plays I would probably evolve my offense to include these 6:

Alert (Power-Read Option with Smoke Screen as the 3rd option)
Speed Option
Counter
RB Slow Screen
Stick
Shallow

Only six?

sweep right and left
power right and counter left
trap right
play action pass

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Steve

That would be 4 plays, sweep & power each counting as 1. Look you get 2 more plays!

Doug

The issue for me is what level are we discussing. At the HS level:

Zone Read
Power Read
Trap
Fast Screen
4 Verts
Smash

Joe

PS The Fast Screen gets kinda of hazy because we also run them off the read plays.

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Steve

That would be 4 plays, sweep & power each counting as 1. Look you get 2 more plays!

Doug

Zone Read
Power Read
Trap
Fast Screen
4 Verts
Smash

Joe

PS The Fast Screen gets kinda of hazy because we also run them off the read plays.

Joe,
  Read plays count as more than one play, don't they? 3 in my mind when you add in the screen. You are getting greedy.  😉
  For me, I need power, counter, trap, wedge, sweep, and some sort of pap. That is for either dw or sw. When we spread it out I still want power but then I need a qb draw type play or iso, jet, smash, 4 verts and bubble. I don't know if I would want to spread it out with just 6 plays though. I would want something to hit short middle in the passing game. I guess backside smash could do it but right know we mirror.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Rob

Actually since 3 things can happen does that mean the read play counts as 3. When have you known me to be not greedy on the field?

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver

8 year old level.

Power
Sweep
Counter
Wedge
Trap
PA Pass

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

8 year old level.

Power
Sweep
Counter
Wedge
Trap
PA Pass

That could work just as well in hs. Trap with 8yo is iffy.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Rob

Actually since 3 things can happen does that mean the read play counts as 3. When have you known me to be not greedy on the field?

Joe

Considering you complete 4 verts at a higher % than anyone on the planet you might as well be greedy if you can get it.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Steve

Doug

Zone Read
Power Read
Trap
Fast Screen
4 Verts
Smash

Joe

ah, whats the use we only run about four plays anyways.

two more plays...ok, power the other way and counter the other way

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

100/900 Buck sweep -trap -dive- power -sally -waggle Two Tight. Until game two then we install red/ blue and put in jet series jet -gut -waggle with a power toss and toss pass and show it in week 4.Its been huge in our success those 11 staple plays.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

100/900 Buck sweep -trap -dive- power -sally -waggle Two Tight.

What are the other five?

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: