What are your absol...

Notifications
Clear all

What are your absolute must-have plays?

Page 4 / 4

bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

OK, back to our regularly scheduled program.  ::)

Iso
Trap
Sweep
Wedge
Counter
Boot/waggle

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Coach C

Yes Trap. Basically it's Wing T scheme run from Spread.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

Is he stepping down mid at all?

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

True.  I really don't run trap.  DTs aren't consistsnt enough.

I'd sub Blast in there for Trap then I guess.

I've almost always coached above 8U level, although not always much above it, but I was cheating a little in intimating that my must-have 6 plays would include a guard trap using either guard.  In reality, when run one way, the guard would be the trapper, and when run the other, the QB would be the trapper, and both versions of the play I call "buck".  The trap block isn't necessarily to open a hole in the DL, but to make it look like the sweep to the LBs & S.  I figure much of the time the trapper isn't going to really get to earhole a penetrating DL, but will get some amount of angle, anyway, on the DL, which will help if the opponents happen to be in both A gaps.  Even at PeeWee level, only 1 of our 3 opponents in 2012 played someone at DT or DG I really wanted to trap.  However, we frequently see a pair of 1 techs, and I think we could still open a hole between them if both blocks come from inside out, hit with the shoulder, and don't both come before the blocker's 3rd step.

Plus, one of the plays that's not listed in the must-have 6 is the fly trap, which is blocked the same way as the buck for the opposite side RB, and is a type of scissors which might not always even require the trapper's block.  If the first DL on that side is penetrating fast, he can just take himself out of the play; if he just picks his nose & doesn't turn toward the ballcarrier, he doesn't need to be blocked either.  The puller becomes a lead blocker if he doesn't see both numbers on the front of the DL's shirt.  While it may be fun, and legal, to either earhole the opponent or block him in the back on this play, that's not teamwork.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

100/900 Buck sweep -trap -dive- power -sally -waggle Two Tight. Until game two then we install red/ blue and put in jet series jet -gut -waggle with a power toss and toss pass and show it in week 4.Its been huge in our success those 11 staple plays.

What's sally?

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

WB counter or dive back counter it's a Delaware term.

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

We used to call our wb counter sally

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

It's a great solid play.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Do you guys use Sally Blocking for your counters?...which also works for waggle pass and draws and screens.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

If we're lined up 100 we will pull SG ST OR we can switch combination depending on defensive front.

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum

We run trap close to how Joe does I think. Trap right has the rb step to the midline with his right foot and second step is his left foot in line with the center's left foot. It's helps keep tight to the down block or double team.

Now the way I learned Sally you didn't pull linemen. Sally is really a draw play. The play side pass sets and invites the defenders up field. The counter play run with waggle blocking is called truck (though there are a few more counters blocked like that).

There is a really good book called The Simple Six. Great cheap fast read. It's about how to arrange your offense but gives examples of this guys approach. His plays were
Power
Counter
Trap
Draw
Option (speed option)
Sweep

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

We run trap close to how Joe does I think. Trap right has the rb step to the midline with his right foot and second step is his left foot in line with the center's left foot. It's helps keep tight to the down block or double team.

Now the way I learned Sally you didn't pull linemen. Sally is really a draw play. The play side pass sets and invites the defenders up field. The counter play run with waggle blocking is called truck (though there are a few more counters blocked like that).

There is a really good book called The Simple Six. Great cheap fast read. It's about how to arrange your offense but gives examples of this guys approach. His plays were
Power
Counter
Trap
Draw
Option (speed option)
Sweep

Seconded. Great book for any coaching library.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Gotcha.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

Power
Wedge
Counter
Power Wide (sweep)
Power Pass

um...that's only five....okay... POWER

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: