What is the purpose...

Notifications

What is the purpose of the Jump pass?  

RSS

flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
September 23, 2019 11:29 pm  

I'm thinking of putting in a Jump Pass for a tall lengthy kid that can probably outjump most of our competition. But then I started to wonder why is there a jump involved and is it necessary to jump? I'd like to attack middle of the field in the 5-8 yard range. Thinking of it as a two-point play or a play to get a first down. What is the purpose of the jump and any specific coaching points?

I want it to look pretty much exactly like this

https://www.youtube.com/embed/1M-jA99a0qA?start=31

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 24, 2019 4:32 am  

I'm thinking of putting in a Jump Pass for a tall lengthy kid that can probably outjump most of our competition. But then I started to wonder why is there a jump involved and is it necessary to jump? I'd like to attack middle of the field in the 5-8 yard range. Thinking of it as a two-point play or a play to get a first down. What is the purpose of the jump and any specific coaching points?

Never tried jump pass from flex or sbv. I did use veer pass or what the kids call "rpo" now. Worked super well hitting your intended range

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
September 24, 2019 5:41 am  

The jump pass is used when a runner/passer is moving towards the line of scrimmage and passes the ball from tight behind the line.  The jump allows the passer to see and throw over the line, usually a TE pop pass.  It can be a wicked play action pass.

If your guy is tall enough and can make the throw, there's probably no reason to jump.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 24, 2019 8:42 am  

Its play action without the action.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
September 24, 2019 8:47 am  

I get the concept of the play.  But what is annoying me in some of these clips is the thrower lopping the ball to the receiver.  Especially when it's not being thrown into the end zone.  If they threw the ball with more strength and straighter they would probably pick up some yards after the catch.

No sense looking flashy and cute just to look flashy and cute.

PS - get off my lawn!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 25, 2019 7:19 am  

Classically the jump pass was a hard, slightly downward throw to be hard to intercept.  Same with a QB's quickie pop to the TE, which I expect to be caught about waist high if it's a cross, higher if it's a fly.

I think they're lobbing jump passes now because the passers aren't so good and they're not cutting down the DL.

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
September 26, 2019 11:14 am  

Our guy uses it on our middle screens...it typically ends up hitting the show tops of our WR or skipping before it gets to him...I hate it but our HC thinks it's the ticket.

ReplyQuote
Share: