Notifications

What offense style for this scenario? SW vs Option/Wing T  

RSS

thehammer
(@thehammer)
Lurker
November 24, 2019 7:09 am  

Coaches,

We have been running a Cisar SW for 3 years. Been successful for the JV (5-6 Grade), and Varsity very well (7-8 grade). We have the silly x man rule, not against it but the O linemen can only line up as a covered TE and inside while the DE can line up outside. It gives us problems as blocking the force player with a non X is a real hassle. Next year we have a top talent QB in 8th, and some real aggressive players in 7th. So the real question is, do you think the 7-8 grade squad could do DC Wing T (Option)? Or as Cisar says a true double option (no triple). Our QB can make the read, very good at it. We will keep base 6 plays from SW, but want to add the option..thanks!!

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 24, 2019 7:41 am  

We have the silly x man rule

--What's that?

not against it but the O linemen can only line up as a covered TE and inside while the DE can line up outside.

--Is this the x man rule?  If so, I'm not understanding it; "O linemen can only line up as a covered TE"??  so all of your offensive linemen must line up as "covered Tight Ends?"  Who snaps the ball?

So the real question is, do you think the 7-8 grade squad could do DC Wing T (Option)? Or as Cisar says a true double option (no triple). Our QB can make the read, very good at it. We will keep base 6 plays from SW, but want to add the option..thanks!!

--First of all, I'd get rid of the crazy rule that says every lineman is a covered Tight End.  That being said, I haven't run Clark's Wing T.  I know some coaches that have had great success with it, though.  So obviously, if you can teach it, it will work.  The scheme is tested and proven successful; it certainly sounds like you've got some talent.  The remaining element is what you bring to the table as their coach and teacher.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
November 24, 2019 10:35 am  

"X man" is the equivalent of what in some circuits is a "striper".  Their helmet instead of a mid-saggital stripe has an X on the front.  It's a loosened weight limit for players to qualify certain positions.

By the description "the hammer" gives I'm guessing that X players on offense have to be interior linemen, while on defense they can play anywhere on the line, and so an end on offense might be significantly outweighed by an end on defense.  Maybe the DE is constrained to lining up on the TE's outside shoulder.

If you really can't decide between single wing and wing T, you can do as I did and combine them into a single formation with some plays from each.  The quarterback is the blocking back, and lines up facing the wing in such a way that he can take a snap hand-to-hands between the snapper's legs, or the snap can go thru to the tailback and fullback.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
November 24, 2019 10:47 am  

do you think the 7-8 grade squad could do DC Wing T (Option)? Or as Cisar says a true double option (no triple). Our QB can make the read, very good at it.

Please specify the options in this double option.  Is it a hand-or-keep between FB and TB, like the ones so popular in college varsities recently?  Is it a dart option (inverted hand-or-keep) between one of the deep backs and one of the shallow ones?  Is it a pitch-or-keep between FB and TB, or between one of them and a motioning WB?  Is it a run-pass option by the tailback?  A pre-snap read?  Or an Eien-style pitch-or-keep by the QB/BB?  Or something else?

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
November 24, 2019 10:50 am  

Sbv would be fun... other wise dcwt would fit this nicely as the te never blocks out and is in a bastard split

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
November 25, 2019 4:26 am  

dcwt would fit this nicely as the te never blocks out and is in a bastard split

I love the TE play in the DCWT. It fits me in what I do and think offensively

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Share: