Clear all

When to Kneel?

Page 1 / 2

matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
Topic starter  

Anyone want to share their chart?

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

We use this one.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Not sure that I trust the refs to uphold their end of the bargain in a 1 score game. We only have a scoreboard clock that is legit for the late playoffs, so we have to ask the ref to count down from 10 on the play clock and that is always like pulling teeth.

This is a good discussion though.

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
Topic starter  

Not sure that I trust the refs to uphold their end of the bargain in a 1 score game. We only have a scoreboard clock that is legit for the late playoffs, so we have to ask the ref to count down from 10 on the play clock and that is always like pulling teeth.

This is a good discussion though.

Honestly, because I'm a crazy person, I just go ahead and take the penalty on each snap. My thought is: "If I were to have a bad snap and they get the ball back, I want there to be as little time as possible left". So I just take the penalty after each snap.

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold
Topic starter  

We use this one.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

John T Reed has something I really like, that he does, where he will run a QB sweep and take a knee.  So his QB will sweep out and take a knee out wide, runs more time off the clock during the play, and takes more time for refs to reset the ball as well. 

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

John T Reed has something I really like, that he does, where he will run a QB sweep and take a knee.  So his QB will sweep out and take a knee out wide, runs more time off the clock during the play, and takes more time for refs to reset the ball as well.

My concern is that a DE gets a paw on the QB to pop the ball out. 

I have heard of people doing a shotgun snap with a back behind the QB in case of a high snap.  You can have a back/wing in front as well in case you have a low snap.  For us, once we indicate that we are taking a knee (or knees), then the refs prevent the defense from rushing, so the pressure is much less. 

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

take a knee when player is injured and oddly enough a lot of teams we have played dont, even when its one of their own, still no knee; strange

I have heard of teams advocating the shotgun or direct snap during the Knee takin...theory is, if there is a mesh problem, its not right next to D linemen who can fall on it, instead its back next to 3 of your own...and if for some reason these 3 kids cant field the ball, well ya got issues!

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

My concern is that a DE gets a paw on the QB to pop the ball out. 

I have heard of people doing a shotgun snap with a back behind the QB in case of a high snap.  You can have a back/wing in front as well in case you have a low snap.  For us, once we indicate that we are taking a knee (or knees), then the refs prevent the defense from rushing, so the pressure is much less.

QB should be going down as soon as someone gets close. If he does not get outside that much, so be it, it will still run a little more time off if he gets contained, as opposed to taking a knee under center. 

I have not tried doing this yet, but I am thinking of having it for next season. 

We get the same thing when we take a knee.  Refs will hold the defense back.  but in a situation where its a one score game, and if I can milk a little more time off the clock than a standard knee would allow, to end it, I would definitely consider it. 

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

take a knee when player is injured and oddly enough a lot of teams we have played dont, even when its one of their own, still no knee; strange

I never had my players do it, but our announcer always instructs players to take a knee.  I don't understand why people take a knee for an injured player. 

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

I never had my players do it, but our announcer always instructs players to take a knee.  I don't understand why people take a knee for an injured player.

its a sign of sportsmanship

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Interestingly enough, my experience with refs is the other way - if the game is over, they're happy to kill the rest of the clock with a knee or two.

I had a game this past year where it was like 3rd down and there was enough time left where we couldn't kneel, we'd have had to snap again on 4th down, so I was preparing to run a play. Ref asked me if I was taking a knee.  I was kind of confused and said something about too much time left (refs keep time on the field) and he just looked at me and said "nope, you're good, you won't have to snap again".  Well, far be it for me to argue...we took a knee.

It was more than a one score game though.

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

I've had teams where even the players on the sideline take a knee.  That seems excessive to me.  Players on the field?  Yes absolutely take a knee when someone is down.  But players on the sideline?  It seemed strange to me.

Has anyone else had that happen?

-Craig

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I've had teams where even the players on the sideline take a knee.  That seems excessive to me.  Players on the field?  Yes absolutely take a knee when someone is down.  But players on the sideline?  It seemed strange to me.

Has anyone else had that happen?

-Craig

Yes, we have had that happen.  Our kids are so conditioned to do it, that I think that they would do it if they were watching a HS game from the stands.

I think that the main reason is that the folks that have to attend to the injured player need to see where they are going and they don't need to have to navigate through a bunch of kids.  They clear out from the spot and take a knee so that they are not getting in the way or moving around. 

If we see that the injury is going to take more than a few minutes (broken bone, stretcher, etc.) then we will have the kids come to the sideline.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Well, if John T Reed says so.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: