Clear all

Wishbone and SAB?

Page 1 / 4

Coach Mack
(@coach-mack)
Copper
Topic starter  

Good afternoon,

Opinions on running SAB with the Wishbone? I'm OC on for 6u team. We ran the Wishbone this spring season winning the championship. Unfortunately, suddenly this Friday we lost coaches and players (entire offensive line) minus a TE. Due to issues within the organization. My backfield is still in tact QB, FB and RB's. My dilemma is there is only two coaches remaining myself and one other. We're heading into our first Jamboree this Saturday. We're limiting on time. I have to scramble to put together a new Oline. I believe SAB will be most beneficial with the talent level we have left. My question is will the two mesh well?

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Wait, so you lost every O-Lineman, and kept every ball guy?

I'm guessing SAB or not SAB isn't really the big issue here.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I believe SAB will be most beneficial with the talent level we have left. My question is will the two mesh well?

Running SAB isn't about talent (deficiencies).  It's a blocking scheme that serves a particular offense.  If you have (big enough) splits, SAB will probably fail.  If you are looking to run inside of your SAB downblocks, your running game will probably fail.

Do NOT choose your scheme based on your talent.  Choose the scheme you know how to teach.  Talent (or lack of it) determines what you will feature within that scheme.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold

I'm going to be running non-option based wishbone this year based on North Hall's info with wide splits. Mahonz and Gumby have been using G-O-L with mega splits and that will be my plan as well.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Teaching rules within a blocking scheme isn't the hard teach. The technique is what takes time. While SAB is probably the easiest teach it is a scheme that works great for power and counter but not for other plays that the wishbone relies heavily on like iso/lead plays. Teaching a 3 rule acronym is pretty easy. Teaching gut/tug is easy for the iso/lead plays. One or two group periods should do it with constant reinforcing in edds and team time. Two coaches in wishbone simply split into oline and backs.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

The term "wishbone" has led to confusion for decades.  Do you mean triple option out of a Y formation?  Or do you mean what I call "power Y"?

I think almost any kind of track blocking would stink with an option-oriented run game, even w the complementary plays like double dive.  I recall years ago someone linking from Huey's a scheme called WOO blocking that went with a option-oriented Y, and IIRC it was some kind of track or area blocking.

With power Y, sure, why not SAB?

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

SAB is a rule not a scheme. How would you run SAB with iso? It is like saying I run the dw and we use GOD blocking. Well sure, but what other rules do use within each play. Your whole oline is not going to SAB for iso.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The term "wishbone" has led to confusion for decades.  Do you mean triple option out of a Y formation?

I'd love to see the Triple Option run by a 6u team.  I'd buy a ticket to that.  Seriously, anyone who runs what they call Wishbone needs to specify what version.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I'm OC on for 6u team. We ran the Wishbone this spring season winning the championship.

And what blocking rules did you use then?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Mack
(@coach-mack)
Copper
Topic starter  

Definitely not running any option with my 6’s lol. We blocked Man on Man. We utilized large splits due to league rules requiring defensive linemen to be head up. So we just spread them out....I kept it super simple Dive, lead, QB keep, and counter off of the Dive. The difference maker was my TE and Qb who catches and throws exceptionally well for their ages. So play action broke a lot of games open for us.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Something about Defense being head up and "Severe Angle Blocking" doesn't mesh.  Pun intended  Did you or do you Trap? 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Definitely not running any option with my 6’s lol. We blocked Man on Man. We utilized large splits due to league rules requiring defensive linemen to be head up. So we just spread them out.

So what part of your offense was The Wishbone?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Something about Defense being head up and "Severe Angle Blocking" doesn't mesh.

How does a down-blocking scheme work with D-Linemen who have to be head up?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I'd love to see the Triple Option run by a 6u team.  I'd buy a ticket to that.

Wasn't clear whether Coach Mac meant he wanted it for the 6U or the 12U team.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Wasn't clear whether Coach Mac meant he wanted it for the 6U or the 12U team.

"Opinions on running SAB with the Wishbone? I'm OC on for 6u team."

Seems pretty clear.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: