Notifications
Clear all

Wishbone and SAB?

Page 2 / 4

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

"Definitely not running any option with my 6’s lol."

So why would you think this was about 12s, Bob?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Mack
(@coach-mack)
Copper
Topic starter  

Something about Defense being head up and "Severe Angle Blocking" doesn't mesh.  Pun intended  Did you or do you Trap?

That was our spring league. There aren't any alignment rules for fall. That's why I'm inquired about SAB. No I found pulling lineman at 6 not be too beneficial. They were just running around lol.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Dave,
SAB will work for head up but you need to have max recess. I don't understand why a league would require a head up rule. Like that helps the oline.  ::)

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

The old adage "2 butts to the hole" would seem to apply, at least on face value.

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The old adage "2 butts to the hole" would seem to apply, at least on face value.

Scott, yes that's the only thing I can think of here.  Still would like to know what Wishbone is being run with 6s(?)  Reminds me of that old Tootsie Pop commercial  ("The world may never know.")

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

"Definitely not running any option with my 6’s lol."

So why would you think this was about 12s, Bob?--Dave

Because his profile said 12Us & he mentioned also coaching in a spring league.  I didn't know if he meant 6Us in the spring & 12Us in the fall or vice versa.

He's changed his profile since, which reminds me that I need to update mine.

ReplyQuote
Coach Mack
(@coach-mack)
Copper
Topic starter  

I run the " Easy Wishbone" I found the playbook on here a few years back. This is my first year back down coaching this age. It was simple enough to put in and so far been successful for us.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I ran an I scheme (not Option I) out of a wishbone. Worked great. Man blocking. Fullback Dive, Halfback Sweep, Quarterback Bootleg. Each in two directions. So three plays, or six, depending on how you count it. No passes.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Barta Bone is essentially a progression down the Line of Scrimmage of Dive, Double Dive (ISO), Keep.

Again. Man Blocking (2 Butts to the Hole).  Deception comes from good fakes and the defense not knowing who will get the ball.

Just thinking out loud. 

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Which is why it works as a power/counter scheme. Definetly won't work as an iso scheme. I think of wishbone I think of iso.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Because his profile said 12Us

I doubt that most of the profiles here are correct.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I run the " Easy Wishbone" I found the playbook on here a few years back.

I seem to recall that playbook.  It sounds familiar.  Anyone know who put it together?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Which is why it works as a power/counter scheme. Definetly won't work as an iso scheme. I think of wishbone I think of iso.

It does work on ISO as well.    Part the DL (2Butts to the Hole) and the FB or Other lead blocker takes on the LB you are Isolating.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze

I seem to recall that playbook.  It sounds familiar.  Anyone know who put it together?

--Dave

McGee was the last name I believe.  Ken or Keith was the first?

Edit: KFMagee...I was way off.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

We're starting out with a form of SAB with our 2nd graders. Off tackle will be our bread and butter. We're unbalanced, so we think of that as "pre-pulling" one guy. For now, it will be step down, protect your inside buddy and make a wall. We'll next introduce "go hunting if no one is in your track after 2 steps". I don't know if we'll make it this year, but the end game is Gap On Linebacker with giant splits.

Rob is right. SAB is not a scheme, or at least not a complete one. The shortcoming of SAB alone is that you are limited to 2 blocking backs in most situations and 3 if you direct snap. SAB alone allows at least 1 free-roaming 2nd level defender. Pulling is one way to get bodies on 2nd level defenders. We chose to let our play side linemen climb . . . well, eventually.

Will it work? You're playing against 6 year olds, so yeah, my opinion is it will work against the average team. I don't think you can depend on it over time and you'll probably get exposed in the playoffs, if you have them. For us, I'm planning on getting linemen on LBs by the playoffs.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: