Notifications

WR stalk blocking  

RSS

Jason638ny
(@jason638ny)
Copper
August 31, 2018 1:09 pm  

Anyone have any good drill or tips for getting receivers blocking properly. I’ve got some decent size and skill out there, but I’ve got some smaller MPP players out there too. Just looking for some tips to help bring the other kids’ level up

blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
August 31, 2018 6:30 pm  

Anyone have any good drill or tips for getting receivers blocking properly. I’ve got some decent size and skill out there, but I’ve got some smaller MPP players out there too. Just looking for some tips to help bring the other kids’ level up

A lot of it is really just about getting in the way.  Some of the best spread teams I know simply have their WRs face out a DB like in basketball, getting in front of him and shuffling their feet to stay in his way without even touching him until he's within arm's length.

Another thing is to tweak your rules a little bit so that if you have a CB pressed up in the WR's face, instead of driving him off the LOS or trying to stalk and hand fight at the LOS, is to teach the WR a "push crack" technique to the S, where he'll explode off the line for 3-5 steps like he's running a slant, then angle inside to the S and use a legal crack technique.  If the DB's in man, you can often get a 2-for-1 from this with an effective block on the S and the CB out of position to make the tackle.

As Alex Gibbs says "We don't block f*ckin' corners!  They're the sh*ttiest tacklers in our league (the NFL) and the sh*ttiest tacklers in your league, too."  That's not always 100% in HS and below.

ReplyQuote
flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
August 31, 2018 11:04 pm  

In addition to what blockandtackle said, here is our WR stalk block progression

1. Mirror Drill
  Set up 2 cones, have WR mirror DB side to side within those 2 cones (buzz feet mirror the DB side to side)
2. Mirror drill and finish
  Same set-up except have DB commit to one side or the other and tell the WR to "take him where he wants to go"
3. 7 yard off then mirror
  Same set-up except we start the DB 7 yards back, coach WR to get halfway (about 3 1/2 yards) then start buzzing feet, mirror DB
4. Rabbit drill
  4 cones to create a square, have a WR, DB, and a rabbit (ball carrier). Have DB try to tag the rabbit, WR has to mirror and block DB from getting to rabbit. Can become competitive

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
September 1, 2018 4:08 am  

Hope this can help in some way:

https://coaches-clinic.com/teaching-stalk-blocking-youth-football/

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 2, 2018 10:09 am  

Read the opponent's eyes.  The stalk blocker's at a disadvantage not being able to see where the runner is, but how many CBs know to eye fake?

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
September 2, 2018 1:49 pm  

Look Up the Mirror Drill.  Essentially the WR "Mirrors" the defender step for step.  It helps if you tell the backs about reading the Butts.  WTF?  Keep the blockers Butt between you and the defender. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Panuwart
(@panuwart)
Lurker
August 6, 2019 9:13 pm  

I will try the way you tell

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
August 7, 2019 5:17 am  

Another Drill we ran was an Oklahoma type drill we call W. Multi-layered, about 5 yards wide (with bigger kids) and 20 yards deep...

Layer 1 - Olineman v Dlineman (back with the ball behind them)

Layer 2 - LB v Slot or H, on the other side of the alley and 5 yards deeper.

Layer 3 -  S/CB v a WR 5 yards deeper

and then 5 yards behind the DB...on GO, the ball carrier goes, the offensive players block, the defensive players try to defeat the blocks and tackle the ball carrier before he makes it to the end of the alley. The ball carrier has to stay inside the alley.

This worked really well for getting our receivers to block, and teaching our db's how to defeat the blocks...and you get 7 kids in the drill each rep 🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
August 7, 2019 11:48 am  

I would also add the have the WR block the DB wherever the DB wants to go.  It's kind of a game of patience. 

Whoever mentioned it was like guarding someone in basketball has the same idea I do when it comes to this.  Think of the WR approaching the DB like they are closing out on a shooter at the 3pt line.  They get out there, but not too aggressively or else the DB will blow right by.  Once within about arms reach or so, they just size the DB, "dance with him" (mirror him) and wait for the DB to commit to something and then just help him go that way with some pushing.

This block is happening in space.  If your running backs can't read that DB and make a play to get past him while he's being pushed, then maybe you need new RB's.  8)

That was always my take on it.  The last time I was a position coach I coached WRs and it was my most fun season.  And I think it was the best job I ever did as a football coach.

Disclaimer: I haven't coached football in 6 years.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
August 8, 2019 1:14 am  

I would also add the have the WR block the DB wherever the DB wants to go.  It's kind of a game of patience. 

This.

My stalk blockers had to keep a DB from reaching a football when they did not know where the football even was.  I would send the WR at the DB and then roll the football out behind him, either to the left or right (They could not see what I did.).  So the WR would try and keep the DB away from the ball while I counted off the seconds before the DB got the ball.  First roll was maybe 2 seconds per player.  Then somebody defended 3 seconds and became the new "champion".  This lit them up.  In just 5 minutes after announcing a champion everyone on the team could defend the ball for 8 seconds.  Just push the DB where he wants to go and he'll always go too far.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Share: