Cover Letter Sample...

Notifications

Cover Letter Sample for HC Job  

RSS

joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
February 19, 2020 8:38 pm  

The HC spot has come open at the HS I coach at. I am looking for sample cover letters that anyone who has applied for a HC position in the past has submitted. You can PM me, or email me at Coachjoshv at Yahoo if you do not want to post here. 

It is a long shot that I get the position but I want to be as prepared as possible and provide as much information about myself as possible prior to, and during the interview. Thank you in advance. 

Passio Bellator

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
February 20, 2020 10:00 am  

No help on the Letter ....just wanted to wish you some good luck ! 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 20, 2020 11:23 am  
Posted by: @joshv155

The HC spot has come open at the HS I coach at. I am looking for sample cover letters that anyone who has applied for a HC position in the past has submitted.

--Josh, here's my most recent one.

--Dave

Mr. ******,

My name is Dave Potter and I am interested in the football coaching position at ******* High School.  I reside in the Wake County area and have been in the Wake County and Durham school system since 2003, serving as a classroom teacher, a Special Needs one-on-one Teacher Assistant, as well as running the I.S.S. program at Kestrel Heights High School and Cary High School.  All of my certifications are current and up to date.  I am "in the system" for Wake County Public Schools.  My formal application has also been submitted online.

I am presently serving as the Runningbacks Coach at Middle Creek High School (Apex) for Varsity and JV.  In 2017, I was the head coach for JV football at East Wake High School (Wendell) where we went 7-2 and were second in the conference in scoring at 27.5 ppg and first in points allowed at 11.7 ppg.  In 2016, I was the head coach for JV football at Green Hope High School (Cary) where we went 8-1 and averaged 31 ppg.  In 2013 and 2014, I was the Offensive Coordinator for JV football at Cary High School.  In 2013, we lead the conference in scoring at 29.4 ppg.  In 2014, we averaged 25.8 ppg.  I was also a Varsity Assistant Coach (Offensive Line) at East Wake and Cary High School.

My CAL Program (a written work), "Character, Academics and Leadership: Building the Foundation" is used as a model by more than 200 youth sports organizations nationwide.  I was instrumental in bringing in the educational tutoring firm, “Supplemental Learners” to partner with the Durham Eagles Athletic Association so that players had access to tutoring throughout the season.  My academic emphasis helped lead to the formation of the “Elite Eagles” college scholarship program in which more than $30,000 has been raised for all Eagles players who plan to attend college. I have been nominated for the Positive Coaching Alliance “Double – Goal” Coach Award for 2011 and 2013. I have given football clinics in Dallas, TX, Frisco, TX, Las Vegas, NV, New Orleans, LA, Mandeville, LA, Orlando, FL, Greensboro, NC, Cary, NC, Charlotte, NC, Raleigh, NC, Wendell, NC, Falmouth, MA, Mashpee, MA, Richmond, VA, Largo, MD, and Washington, D.C.  I am currently working on the #BattleReady Project, which incorporates football, community service and academics within a Christian framework.  I have been coaching football since 1997 and my football coaching resume is below.  If you'd like to meet, talk, text or email let me know.  Thank you.

Sincerely,
Dave

Dave Potter
(cell) ***-***-****
1 Corinthians 16:13

Compassion International: Releasing Children from Poverty in Jesus' Name

Scholastic Coaching

Head Football Coach--Junior Varsity:  East Wake High School (Wendell, NC)
(JV) 2017--7 wins, 2 losses (#1 ranked defense; #2 ranked offense in conference)

Head Football Coach--Junior Varsity:  Green Hope High School (Cary, NC)
(JV) 2016—8 wins, 1 loss, 279 points scored, 31 ppg

Assistant Football Coach (Offensive Coordinator):  Cary High School (Cary, NC)
(JV) 2013—Lead Conference in Scoring29.4 ppg
(JV and Varsity) 2014

Varsity Head Football Coach:  Kestrel Heights High School (Durham, NC)
2011, 2012

Assistant Football Coach:  (Offensive Line) High School All-American Bowl

Assistant Football Coach:  (Offensive Coordinator) Kestrel Heights High School (Durham, NC)
2009, 2010

Assistant Football Coach (Offense):  Rogers-Herr Middle School (Durham, NC)

Assistant Football Coach (Offensive Coordinator):  Lowe's Grove Middle School (Durham, NC)
2007—Lead Conference in Scoring (29 ppg)

Assistant Football Coach (Offensive Line): Rogers-Herr Middle School (Durham, NC) 2006

Players coached playing college football:  Trevion Thompson (Clemson), Tony Creecy (NC State), Vad Lee (Ga. Tech and James Madison), Khris Francis (UNC-Chapel Hill), Torrance Hunt (ECU and Georgia Southern), Joey Mangili, (UNC-Chapel Hill), John Brown III (Navy), Quay Gilmore (Army), Trey Lucas (Gardner Webb), Brandon Brown (Catawba), Jordon Brown (UNC-Chapel Hill and Kansas State), Shawn Stankavage (Vanderbilt and Rice), Maurice Trowell (NC State), Ricquaz Brannon (Howard), Kendall Hinton (Wake Forest), Nick Drew (Campbell), Cinco Simmons (Averett), Kameron Johnson (Wingate), Treshawn Council (Hampton), Marvin Tillman (Western Carolina), Najee Reams (NC A&T), Khamari Everett (NC A&T), Casey Perry (UNC-Charlotte), Liam Ryan (NC State), Anthony Rush (Alabama-Birmingham), Josh Williams (Guilford), Jalon Bethea (NC A&T), JT Berkowitz (Wingate), Noah Goldman (Louisburg), Keenen Evans (UNC-Pembroke), Rod Perry (South Carolina State), Jared Worley (UNC-Chapel Hill), Lee Rodio (Duke), Noah Luxford (Hampton), Calvin Brewley (Fayetteville State), Sean Brown (Liberty), Cash DeVaughn (Gardner-Webb), Noah Luxford (Hampton).

Author--"The CAL Program:  Character, Academics and Leadership--Building the Foundation."

Member--American Football Coaches Association

Member--North Carolina Football Coaches Association

Member--North Carolina High School Coaches Association

Member--Fellowship of Christian Athletes

Member--Coaches Outreach

Member--newhope Church, Durham, NC

Favorite Quotes:

Mark 9:23 “If you can?  All things are possible to him that believes.”

1 Corinthians 16:13 “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.”

Mission Statement:  "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

Durham Eagles Athletic Association

2000 C.F.F. Champions (Head Coach)
2001 C.F.F. Champions (Head Coach)
2002 C.F.F. Champions (Head Coach)
2003 C.F.F. Champions (Head Coach)
2004 C.F.F. Champions (Head Coach)
2006 C.F.F. Champions (Head Coach)
2007 C.F.F. Champions (Head Coach)
2008 C.F.F. Champions (Head Coach)
2009 C.F.F. Champions (Head Coach)
2010 C.F.F. Champions (Head Coach)
2015 C.F.F. Champions (Assistant Coach)
2019 C.F.F. Champions (Assistant Coach)

2000 Undefeated 8-0
2001 Undefeated 8-0
2002 Undefeated 8-0
2004 Undefeated 9-0
2006 Undefeated 9-0
2007 Undefeated 8-0
2008 Undefeated 8-0
2010 Undefeated 8-0
2015 Undefeated 8-0

2003 "Top 16" in Nation
2004 "Top 16" in Nation
2007 "Top 16" in Nation
2008 "Top 16" in Nation
2010 "Top 16" in Nation
2015 "Top 16" in Nation
2019 "Top 2" in Nation

33-Consecutive Conference Game Winning Streak
1999-2003

34-Consecutive Conference Game Winning Streak
2005-2009

90 Wins - 3 Losses
2000-2010

Only Undefeated Midget (Varsity) Team in Durham Eagles History

Undefeated at Home for All 12 Years as Head Coach:
1999-2010

44 Academic All-Americans

Assistant Football Coach: Durham Eagles
1997, 1998, 2015, 2019

Head Football Coach: Durham Eagles (12 years)
1999-2010

References:

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
February 20, 2020 2:00 pm  

@coachdp thank you ! This will be a huge help. 

@mahonz thank you, I appreciate it. 

Passio Bellator

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 20, 2020 2:54 pm  

Josh, I also brought a copy of my CAL program and practice planner to the interview.  Anything that can demonstrate your organizational abilities, as opposed to you just saying, "I'm organized" will be of help.  Talk is cheap.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
February 20, 2020 6:14 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

Josh, I also brought a copy of my CAL program and practice planner to the interview.  Anything that can demonstrate your organizational abilities, as opposed to you just saying, "I'm organized" will be of help.  Talk is cheap.

--Dave

Dave  - 

Did you bring just a single practice plan, or multiple to show ? 

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 20, 2020 8:09 pm  

Dave  - 

Josh, as far as I'm concerned, there's only one way to do something and that's the best way.  I brought only one plan.  (Or, are you asking if I brought copies for everyone?  The depends on how many people are at the meeting.  Sometimes it's a one-on-one with the AD.  Sometimes it's with a group of admins.  If it's group, bring multiple copies.)

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
March 9, 2020 6:19 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

Dave  - 

Josh, as far as I'm concerned, there's only one way to do something and that's the best way.  I brought only one plan.  (Or, are you asking if I brought copies for everyone?  The depends on how many people are at the meeting.  Sometimes it's a one-on-one with the AD.  Sometimes it's with a group of admins.  If it's group, bring multiple copies.)

--Dave

Thank you Dave. I wasn't sure if you were bringing in just a practice plan and/or an entire off-season/in-season planner to show organizational skills that way. 

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
March 9, 2020 6:27 pm  

Well, it wasn't meant to be. There were 5 applicants and an email was sent to all parents/players letting them know that this Wednesday the 11th, "2 or more" applicants will be giving 20 minute presentations to the parents and players, separately, then have 10 minutes for a question and answer session. 

I was forwarded the email from another coach on the staff. I had not gotten any word about if I would be involved in the presentation or not but needed to know ASAP as I have tickets for a concert that night. So I sent an email to the principal/VP inquiring and explained why. Within about an hour I received a generic email stating, "we checked your application thanks but you aren't moving on in the process." Received just about an the same exact response from the VP. I am assuming I won't ever get an explanation as to why. 

I let the other coach, who sent me the email about the parent/player meeting a text just to let him know. He has been a huge supporter of mine and he took to rallying parents. They started some chat on Facebook about it all and how I should have gotten an interview. I'm not saying a word other than the response I sent back to the VP saying that you for your time and the consideration you took regarding my application. Internally I am very frustrated but complaining isn't going to get me very far or help me in the future. 

I appreciate the help that was offered and see where the journey takes me next season. 

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
March 9, 2020 9:48 pm  

"2 or more" applicants will be giving 20 minute presentations to the parents and players, separately, then have 10 minutes for a question and answer session. 

--Wait...huh?  An applicant is presenting to parents and players?

Internally I am very frustrated but complaining isn't going to get me very far or help me in the future. 

--No, it won't.  Not at all.  Keep pluggin'.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Copper
Wisconsin
March 12, 2020 1:06 pm  

Sounds like it was a blessing you didnt get to move on in the process. Parents and players interviewing :/.

Sounds like a dumpster fire waiting to happen, if it isnt already.

If you goto hueys and read there jobs board it sounds like this is not unique and those places are revolving doors. Most on that board would advise you to steer clear of a place like that. But every situatuon is different.

Good luck, hope you find something that suits you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
March 12, 2020 4:01 pm  
Posted by: @lunchbox

Sounds like a dumpster fire waiting to happen, if it isnt already.

Last year, I applied for a HC position at a local middle school.  Although the AD and principal said they were both impressed with my credentials, they hired someone in the building.  They had a disaster season, HC stepped down and now they've posted the job again.  I won't be applying.

Two years ago, I met with a HC three times and was offered a coaching position before their Principal and/or AD overruled the hire.  They still haven't had a winning season since, but they do have the JV header position, JV OC position, and Varsity offensive assistant jobs posted.  I won't be applying.

I remember telling the principal at EWHS the mistake he was making when he hired his new HC in 2018.  They promptly went 4-7 and then 2-9 and he was fired.  I won't be going back.

Most schools just don't know how to run things.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
March 17, 2020 1:41 pm  

@coachdp 

I wasn't in attendance because I was at an amazing Tool concert but from what I know now they interviewed 3 of the 5 candidates and then narrowed it to 2 that presented in front of the parents. Sounds like it was a, "this is who I am and what I plan to do" type presentation and then questions from the parents. Parents filled out a score sheet of some sort at the end and could add notes and then turned that in. 

Looking at it from the outside in the next HC was picked (still not officially announced) prior to the process even happening. The two finalists are a coach on the current staff and a HC from a really small school that hasn't had much success in the two years he has been there. I know nothing about him other than he has bounced around a lot. 

The on staff coach will get the job. The HC who stepped down is the AD at the school. He stepped away once a few years ago when he got the AD job. Was told he couldn't do both. He picked a coach who was on staff, who had two rough season and then retired from coaching. He had him plan his retirement well, two weeks prior to spring practice. Since it was an, "emergency hiring" situation the AD hired himself back and didn't interview any candidates. 

As he is still the current AD, while now the HC of another HS and trying to get a teaching job at that school, he is pulling the strings. 

Try to make a long story short. The coach who will most likely get the HC gig pulled a freshman up to varsity practice the week prior to the first game of last season. Wanted to put him at slot WR to show the older dudes they could be replaced. This kids dad is a coach on the staff and wasn't asked if he was okay with it. HC that is leaving says he always will ask parents before doing that. 

It is a passing drill, HC sees the freshman kid hanging around it. Tells the OC (new HC most likely) the kid can't participate. He isn't ready. He can watch and learn but not participate. OC argues, big yelling match in the middle of the field takes place. HC reiterates, the kid can watch but not participate and walks away. OC puts kid in. Kid gets a concussion on the 2nd play and missed the first two weeks of the season. 

I have a talk with the HC about it all. Telling him the OC was negligent and insubordinate. This wasn't the first time this guy put players safety in jeopardy. He was suspended two years for grabbing a kid at halftime, driving him into a bathroom stall, slamming him against the back wall and yelling at him. Other issues too. Anyways, HC reads me the riot act. Tells me he should fire me. He doesn't but I was demoted from coaching a varsity position and pulled from being the frosh HC. 

The OC actually is a really nice guy for the most part. Not one of those jerk coaches. Just makes really poor decisions in key moments that make you shake your head. And is really unorganized. In the four years he has been an OC we ran a different, "system" each season. 

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Share: