Notifications
Clear all

High School Varsity Interview: HELP!

Page 1 / 3

HornetPride
(@hornetpride)
Copper
Topic starter  

Need advice on how to prepare and be ready for a HS Varsity HC position I’ll be interviewing for, this will be my first HS HC interview. Any info from any of your experiences will be much appreciated!

CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Need advice on how to prepare and be ready for a HS Varsity HC position I’ll be interviewing for, this will be my first HS HC interview. Any info from any of your experiences will be much appreciated!

Head Coach position...

Answer their questions but.....and this is HUGE, you must be sure to say things you need to say to ket them know about you, your program and what you offer.

Even at the end,....they will say do you have any questions? You find the way to cover the rest about you and the show.

Assistant coach position...

How can i help?
When can i start?

That is all.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

These are dependent on how big the program is, district, and history i feel.

I did a HC interview process for a 4a program and 6a. The difference was great, 4a was the AD and 1 schoolboard member.  6a was 3 different people then the AD then a tribunal interview the next week with the scoreboard,  then if you make the cut the superintendant.

How to be prepared? Youre already prepared actually, beleive in "your program" and sell it.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
HornetPride
(@hornetpride)
Copper
Topic starter  

This is a Massachusetts Div 8 school, with enrollment around 600. They have only won 3 games in the past two years.

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze

I dont have any advice myself that wasnt said above but I do wish you the best of luck sir.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Fellow Masshole - good luck!

Have you poked around on Huey's?  They have a bunch of these kinds of threads with some really good input from HS guys who have been there/done that.

And if you get it, PM me where, love to see DW guys at the HS level.  Stoneham won a lot of games the past two years after they switched to Murphy's U/C DW.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

This is a Massachusetts Div 8 school, with enrollment around 600. They have only won 3 games in the past two years.

Understand the school and the recent history of the program.  If they have only won 3 games in two years, know why and be able to explain what you will be doing differently. 

Like any other job, know who the decision makers are.  What is important to the people who are making the decision?  Do they care about record only?  Do they care about academics?  Do they care about building the program back up?

P.S.  Also from MA. 

ReplyQuote
HornetPride
(@hornetpride)
Copper
Topic starter  

perfect job especially if it's  for HC job!

Yes the position is for varsity HC.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Yes the position is for varsity HC.

Sounds like a great opportunity!

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold

Not to put a damper on things, but one thing that I found out after a couple of interviews I've had is that sometimes the school is just going through the formality of conducting interviews because of state mandates on posting the position. Then the school just ends up hiring from within. However, don't let that take away from the experience that you will get just from going through the process. It will give you an idea of what to expect in future interviews.

In some of my interviews, I was asked a lot of questions on dealing with parental issues like why a kid isn't playing enough. What would you do if a kid is on his cell phone in the locker room? (Yeah!) How would you distribute playing time? The one thing that I learned, especially if they don't really ask you about your philosophy, is that they will usually ask "Why should they hire you over somebody else?" If you have something prepared that explains all that, then that would be the time to present it. That was a mistake that I made in my last interview. I gave them a prepared "booklet" that explained my coaching philosophy, had practice plans, player development, community outreach. They never asked me one question about it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Not to put a damper on things, but one thing that I found out after a couple of interviews I've had is that sometimes the school is just going through the formality of conducting interviews because of state mandates on posting the position. Then the school just ends up hiring from within. However, don't let that take away from the experience that you will get just from going through the process. It will give you an idea of what to expect in future interviews.

In some of my interviews, I was asked a lot of questions on dealing with parental issues like why a kid isn't playing enough. What would you do if a kid is on his cell phone in the locker room? (Yeah!) How would you distribute playing time? The one thing that I learned, especially if they don't really ask you about your philosophy, is that they will usually ask "Why should they hire you over somebody else?" If you have something prepared that explains all that, then that would be the time to present it. That was a mistake that I made in my last interview. I gave them a prepared "booklet" that explained my coaching philosophy, had practice plans, player development, community outreach. They never asked me one question about it.

This is true. I had two rounds, 12 hour drive each way....AD pimped it as “ Nation wide seach” but hired an inside candidate with zero previous HC experience.

I never had a chance but was paraded in front of the board as part of “ diverse” group of candidates. Costly and a waste of time as the other guy knew he had the job already and had been conducting workouts meetings etc.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
HornetPride
(@hornetpride)
Copper
Topic starter  

The last coaching staff was ousted by the parents and players, I would highly doubt seeing anyone from that staff be retained.

ReplyQuote
HornetPride
(@hornetpride)
Copper
Topic starter  

Fellow Masshole - good luck!

Have you poked around on Huey's?  They have a bunch of these kinds of threads with some really good input from HS guys who have been there/done that.

And if you get it, PM me where, love to see DW guys at the HS level.  Stoneham won a lot of games the past two years after they switched to Murphy's U/C DW.

I’ll be running the Murphy Gun DW with some UC as well, if I get it.

ReplyQuote
HornetPride
(@hornetpride)
Copper
Topic starter  

Understand the school and the recent history of the program.  If they have only won 3 games in two years, know why and be able to explain what you will be doing differently. 

Like any other job, know who the decision makers are.  What is important to the people who are making the decision?  Do they care about record only?  Do they care about academics?  Do they care about building the program back up?

P.S.  Also from MA.

I have a big advantage in that department as this school is my alma mater and I’ve coached pretty much all
the kids at the HS at the youth level already.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Know the history, heritage and athletics background of the school.  If they've been successful/unsuccessful in the past, know why.  If you don't know why, ask your interviewer.  Present them with an overview on how you plan to hire staff, interact with the booster club, develop football in the community, what you expect of your players, your academic plan and your year-round calendar.  Know how you will separate or combine your JV and Varsity players.  Know your 8-Quarter rule (if you have one) and how you'll implement it.  Be prepared to explain scheme and how you emphasize particular fundamentals (if other football coaches are part of the interview team).  Be prepared to whiteboard what you know.  Bring your resume, a list of references, a practice planner and any other material that represents your approach  (for me, it was our C.A.L. Program).  Don't fake answers.  Be prepared to explain and justify any and all aspects that makes your program unique.  Don't embarrass yourself with rhetoric ("I believe in my player's getting an education."  Big deal; Who doesn't?)

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: