Notifications

Random advice  

RSS

coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
April 20, 2020 2:22 pm  

So I might have the chance to jump to the high school level in my sport I coach (not football).

There are potentially two options out there for me. 

A. Possible JV spot in the district I have been coaching jr high in for 5 years.  Also been involved in the youth program for 7-8 years.  I also live there and my kids go to school there (graduating sr and current soph).  So I know the kids,  town, school,  politics pretty well. Program has won several conference and district titles in recent history.

B. Possible varsity HC opening at a neighboring town (divisional rival).  I have some relationships there as well. I have coached some of the players in club ball.  I know several youth parents and players.  Program is in the top tier of the conference every year and challenges for district titles when things fall the right way.

Very tempted to throw my hat in the ring for one or both or neither and just continue working the jr high level and building our current youth program.

I am interested in your thoughts and considerations here.  You guys always seem to come up with something that never crossed my mind.

TIA

32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
April 20, 2020 3:33 pm  

You lost me at "(not football)", but whether or not I grasp the concept of something besides football, I would encourage you to do what you want to do most.  Throw your hat in the ring.  If you get selected and it doesn't feel right, stay where you are now.  If you do get selected and you are still excited about the new opportunity, take it.  You only live once.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
April 20, 2020 10:51 pm  

As usual, I agree with @32wedge. As we say in software development, "never be afraid to suck at something new, especially if you enjoy it!"

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
April 21, 2020 9:46 am  
Posted by: @coachmiket

I am interested in your thoughts and considerations here.  You guys always seem to come up with something that never crossed my mind.

Sounds like a 50/50.  Or a 33.3/33.3/33.3.  What I don't know is what you're looking for.  Perhaps if you shared your mission statement, that will enlighten me.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
April 21, 2020 9:49 am  

If you're not happy in your present line of work, then why not apply for both and see what (if either) gets offered.  I recently inquired about an open HC position, but since so many things are up in the air right now, they're not even interviewing (despite the listing).

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
April 21, 2020 10:02 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

Sounds like a 50/50.  Or a 33.3/33.3/33.3.  What I don't know is what you're looking for.  Perhaps if you shared your mission statement, that will enlighten me.

--Dave

Definitely not unhappy in my current situation.  I enjoy being the guy that builds the youth program and develops players to send to high school and see them succeed there.  And this has been a very successful program.

But I have wanted to try my hand at having my own program as well.  I have had a somewhat natural progression to my career, in terms of coaching levels....youth rec, youth travel, jr high school and jr high club teams, high school club teams.  Either a school JV or Varsity spot would be my next mission.  The program I am currently in is setup for success for years to come.  Strong youth program and jr high program with tons of talent.  Going to the new place and being a Varsity HC there would give me the chance to start helping recreate that entire program, strengthen the youth ranks, try to build their school numbers back up a bit etc.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
April 21, 2020 10:13 am  

So I might have the chance to jump to the high school level in my sport I coach (not football).

Hi Coach,

I'd apply for both, if nothing else, going through the interview process would be a learning experience that could pay off down the road.

My Pop was a 'sink or swim' kinda guy, that's how he taught me to swim, chucked me over the side of the boat....   once I got out of the Burlap bag, swimming was easy.  (I think they call it "immersive" learning these days).  In both jobs, you'll learn.  If things don't work out, the experience will be valuable later, and won't hurt to have on your resume if another opportunity comes up. 

After I had a couple yrs as the Middle school wrestling coach and 1 yr as a JV football assistant, an opportunity to HC wrestling and coach JV came available.  It was a one-year thing, there wouldn't be  a 2nd yr no matter what, but the experience as a HC, even for that one season set me up for a HC at another school which lasted a decade.   W/out that HC on my resume, I'd not have gotten the 2nd job. 

Hope this helps,

This post was modified 1 month ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
April 21, 2020 11:22 am  
Posted by: @coyote  I'd apply for both, if nothing else, going through the interview process would be a learning experience that could pay off down the road.

^ This.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
April 21, 2020 11:40 am  

I was a youth header from 1999-2010.  I "retired" in 2011 when the high school that I was also coaching at offered me their HC position AND also declared they would not allow me to coach youth and high school football, as I had done for the previous 2 years.  Since the high school was paying my mortgage, I decided to give up my youth header position to accept their HC offer.  Though I wasn't happy about stepping away from the youth position which was something I'd done for 12 years and had some success at, accepting the HS header position was the smartest decision I could have made, in terms of overall coaching development.  

The HS header job was overwhelming in the time and work that it took.  Suddenly, I was spending 70 hours per week at the school, usually not getting home until about 11pm.  Though much of it was frustrating, I learned a great deal.  And while at the time I was bemoaning the mistake I'd made in leaving my youth coaching gig for the struggle I had at this from-the-ground-up-build-up high school job, in hindsight I'm grateful for the opportunity it afforded me.  If I hadn't gotten the HS job, I doubt that the door would have opened me to opportunities at other schools.  And while my high school coaching career has been a revolving door (5 high schools in 7 years), I've learned so much more about coaching than if I'd stayed in place as a youth header.

1999-2010 was instrumental in learning many things about coaching football, but 2011-present has accelerated that growth.   

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
April 26, 2020 3:10 pm  

Is a divisional rival an issue?  I have had a couple of opportunities that I turned down simply because the rivalry issue would be hard to overcome with kids in school.  My youngest is a senior now so it would not be a problem moving forward.  We live in a very small community. 

If not an issue, then put in for both. As was said, just the experience of interviewing is a plus.  When I first interviewed for the middle school position I have now, I was turned down.  Mainly because they were just going through the motions required (interviewing at least two candidates) as the other guy was promised the job before the process.

They were very impressed with me (or so they said ha) and offered me the assistant position.  I took it.  The guy that got the position was offered a varsity position and took it the day before the first practice so they gave me the header position.  Had I not interviewed, I would not have been on the radar. That was in 2009, been there ever since.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
April 26, 2020 5:10 pm  
Posted by: @ramoody

Is a divisional rival an issue?  I have had a couple of opportunities that I turned down simply because the rivalry issue would be hard to overcome with kids in school.  My youngest is a senior now so it would not be a problem moving forward.  We live in a very small community. 

If not an issue, then put in for both. As was said, just the experience of interviewing is a plus.  When I first interviewed for the middle school position I have now, I was turned down.  Mainly because they were just going through the motions required (interviewing at least two candidates) as the other guy was promised the job before the process.

They were very impressed with me (or so they said ha) and offered me the assistant position.  I took it.  The guy that got the position was offered a varsity position and took it the day before the first practice so they gave me the header position.  Had I not interviewed, I would not have been on the radar. That was in 2009, been there ever since.

The issue with the rivalry is that I have coached just about every varsity player in my current program.  I have been at the jr high for 5 years, so my very first team I had will be seniors next year.  And the rising juniors, I coached them from 4th grade through 8th grade and some of them in club in 9th and 10th grade.  So I have some pretty deep relationships with the program.

At this point, I'm not even sure what is going to be happening with next year's sports seasons and it seems like a lot of schools are starting to really slow play any hirings too.

ReplyQuote
Share: