Notifications

How do you block?  

RSS

ThunderFootball
(@thunderfootball)
Bronze
March 31, 2014 2:14 pm  

Have found lots of posts about scheme but not HOW KOR's are blocked.

Taught same way as the O-line does it or differently?  We teach shoulder blocking so I'm not sure how that translates over to open field blocking.

So the main question I have is what type of blocking do you teach for KOR's and how do you teach it? 

Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
March 31, 2014 4:41 pm  

Taught same way as the O-line does it or differently?  We teach shoulder blocking so I'm not sure how that translates over to open field blocking.

So the main question I have is what type of blocking do you teach for KOR's and how do you teach it?

I OUR best return (we got from Alabama) = stay up high, use hands in numbers, take them to the side they want to go but stay on the block as long as possible (SEE ATTACHED):

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
ThunderFootball
(@thunderfootball)
Bronze
March 31, 2014 4:55 pm  

Thanks!  I like simple.

What's a crotch block?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
March 31, 2014 6:52 pm  

We're hitting them dead center (no shoulders), facemask in their throat, elbows in their body.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
April 1, 2014 7:05 am  

Other things being equal, the more open field the situation is, the more advantage for hands over shoulder or body blocking.

ReplyQuote
ThunderFootball
(@thunderfootball)
Bronze
April 1, 2014 9:04 am  

We're hitting them dead center (no shoulders), facemask in their throat, elbows in their body.

--Dave

Elbows in?  Striking opposing player?

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
April 1, 2014 9:37 am  

What's a crotch block?

From the context, it's easy to figure out.  Say you're blocking and your opponent turns or starts to slide away from you to one side, and you don't think you can move your feet fast enough to stay in front of him and in balance.  Then you convert it to a cross-body block, getting the far side of your body horizontally across his waist.

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
April 1, 2014 12:51 pm  

Thanks!  I like simple.

What's a crotch block?

No SET technique.  As you begin to lose the man going lower (almost like a body block) can serve to tie them up longer.

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
ThunderFootball
(@thunderfootball)
Bronze
April 9, 2014 3:01 pm  

--Dave

To add to Dave's pt. At the Penn State clinic Danny Smith from the Steelers had a great visual. Image a bullseye on the opponents chest. Hands need to be in the bullseye elbows in on the block.

He also has his players run KO sideline to sideline on a yard line.  They practice with a wiggle on the approach and a rip and dip on the blocker and get back on the yardage line(lane). If they meet a blocker that is within 15yds of the ball carrier they engage and shed or knock him over if possible and attack the BC when he makes his cut.  This helps prevent huge gaps forming bc two players side by side won't end up rip and dipping in opposite directions.

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
April 10, 2014 8:08 am  

You don't use a shoulder in this because it puts you on one side of a man & when you bend to insert shoulder you LOSE SIGHT OF THE TARGET.  Keep your head up, your feet under you, & use the HANDS!

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
April 12, 2014 1:24 pm  

#1 CAUSE of a missed block is TAKING YOUR EYES OFF THE TARGET!

ReplyQuote
Share: