Notifications

Onside Kicks  

RSS

GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
November 26, 2014 9:22 am  

What are your fav / most successful ways to onside kick?

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
November 26, 2014 7:57 pm  

Depends how dumb the receiving team has been coached.  I see many of them have their front line's toes on their restraining line.  If they do that, then ram the kick hard & low straight at them.  If you can, telegraph where you're aiming the kick, to increase the chance it'll hit one of them.

ReplyQuote
cbrm
 cbrm
(@cbrm)
Silver
November 27, 2014 5:13 am  

GP

Many coaches will use KOR to get plays for their MPPs.  For our onside kick, we id the weaker-looking front-line kid in the #2 or #4 spot as our target, and kick a very hard grounder directly at him.  Our hope is that the ball will either bounce off of him or take that wonderful bounce directly over him.  Our fastest, most aggressive kid lines up directly over the target.  His job is to play Whose Ball with speed and attitude.  >:(  The remainder of the KO team follows traditional KO responsibilities.  We used to kick these from the opposite hash, but the past two years have been from the near middle for two reasons.  One, it doesn't look any different than our deep kicks.  Two, the sharper kicking angle from the opposite hash increases the probability the ball will go out of bounds  We kick it hard always, so there is never doubt it will go ten.

I say near middle, because whether the call is onside or deep, I always want the ball to bounce at least once.  Our goal is to never let R catch the ball in the air.  Moving the tee around the middle can sometimes give us a clearer alley for the deeper kicks.  Our kickers rep grounders every day in practice or pre-practice, and we also devote a 10-minute slot to one of our special teams every day from day1.

Brian

Do right by Him, and you'll do right by them.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

ReplyQuote
coacho
(@coacho)
Silver
November 27, 2014 3:37 pm  

We have use a Pooch kick for years. We practice dropping the ball about the 30 yard-line about 5 yards from the sideline. Our KO team consists of a hot side, which consists of our fastest kids. Everyone on the team have proven that they are quality tacklers. We do have the capabilities of kicking the ball deep if the receiving team starts to move up. I'll look at the receiving team and give either a short or deep kick signal.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
November 28, 2014 3:52 am  

Mike -

Three kicker onside has been a staple of ours for two seasons - very effective even after being scouted. Just looking for a little variety for next season - more options with our onside game.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
November 28, 2014 1:59 pm  

If I ever got the right opp'ty, I'd try to install a 2-kicker kickoff, where one would start with the ball in his hands.  He'd either drop kick it, or get to the point where he would otherwise do that & instead place the ball there for the other to place kick.  They'd both be moving toward the same spot, the place kicker just a little later than the drop kicker.  The idea is to give the other team the problem not only of 2 different angles of kick, but different styles of kick, where the drop-kick would get more height.  Preferably the place kicker would be capable of both toe & soccer style kicking, so that'd produce yet another variation in direction of the ball.

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
November 28, 2014 2:43 pm  

Mike -

Three kicker onside has been a staple of ours for two seasons - very effective even after being scouted.

same here.  we make a call from the sideline for direction and depth. 

"Whether you think you can, or cannot, you're probably right."

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver
December 1, 2014 6:36 am  

We started using a watermelon kick in the playoffs, we laid the ball on it's side on the tee and had our kicker aim for the chest plate of either the front or 2nd line. It's the knuckleball of kick offs and it bounces around like a dented ping pong ball. 

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
December 1, 2014 8:05 pm  

Squibb.  Let that sucker roll as way too many will just watch it.

As far as my Return team. 

Soft Hands Up front.

DB's and Ball handlers in row 2

Safeties  Deep 

Dont care what you do when you kick to me  😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
December 2, 2014 3:34 am  

We started using a watermelon kick in the playoffs, we laid the ball on it's side on the tee and had our kicker aim for the chest plate of either the front or 2nd line. It's the knuckleball of kick offs and it bounces around like a dented ping pong ball.

Can be very effective kick
We lost one from a kick like this in our semi-final loss
It bounced off our kid and went 5-6 yards right back into the hands of the kicking team, we had no chance of recovering it
At halftime we repped our first row guys to get out of the way- but by then the damage had already been done

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Share: