Notifications

What is your kick return formation in youth football  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
September 5, 2012 9:38 am  

Curious to see what formations and how deep each kid is.

Also, do you put all your kids with good hands up front?

CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold
September 5, 2012 3:55 pm  

I do put kids with good hands up front.  I put the best athletes on kick return.  I do 6 on the front line, 4 on the next line, and 1 back deep just in case.

ReplyQuote
Coach Perry
(@ajpcmm)
Bronze
September 5, 2012 4:45 pm  

Mob return  ;D
Doesn't matter with this one, line'em up in any order, designate #10 and watch the kick team guess who has it. As long as their quick to stop the ball, circle up and hand it off it's a hard one to stop.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."-Mike Tyson-

ReplyQuote
Coachschro
(@coachschro)
Bronze
September 5, 2012 7:07 pm  

Mob return  ;D
Doesn't matter with this one, line'em up in any order, designate #10 and watch the kick team guess who has it. As long as their quick to stop the ball, circle up and hand it off it's a hard one to stop.

How many are in your mob return?

ReplyQuote
Coach Perry
(@ajpcmm)
Bronze
September 5, 2012 7:36 pm  

All of them. Have 2 watching over their shoulder to throw blocks if anyone gets close then the rest explode out hiding the ball. Looks good. They all tuck in and hunch over so it's very hard to see who has it. After 10 or so yards they start throwing blocks.

ReplyQuote
Coachschro
(@coachschro)
Bronze
September 5, 2012 8:14 pm  

Typically the teams we play are bad at kicking like most youth teams, i'm not sure I understand how you get 11 guys into a huddle when the kicker squibs it 20-30 yards? Thoughts?

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
September 5, 2012 8:17 pm  

mob return? you mean like a star burst where 5 kids all circle up and they all run in different directions one with the ball the other 4 all run ning as if they had the ball?

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 5, 2012 8:31 pm  

We've been using a 6-3-2.  The 2 deep adjust according to what they expect of the opposing kicker.  The 6 in front play with their toes on the restraining line, which I can't stand and will try to get them to move 3 yds. back this season!

ReplyQuote
Coachschro
(@coachschro)
Bronze
September 5, 2012 8:37 pm  

We are 6-4-1... 2nd level 5 yards behind first level....

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze
September 6, 2012 2:31 am  

We are 6-4-1... 2nd level 5 yards behind first level....

Wow, so you line up the first line on or near the 50 and then the second line at the 45?  And the last one where?  How old are your kids?

ReplyQuote
Coach Perry
(@ajpcmm)
Bronze
September 6, 2012 2:59 am  

Typically the teams we play are bad at kicking like most youth teams, i'm not sure I understand how you get 11 guys into a huddle when the kicker squibs it 20-30 yards? Thoughts?

Happens fast. Once the ball is moving they move. Granted it doesn't go very far but the kids are supposed to stop it where they can. Most of them get in the huddle then explode. So far we haven't had a team squib it on us, we are the ones that do that. Last game all 11 got in it but 1 missed a block and we didn't get it down field very far. One kid was pretty fast and caught the ball carrier quickly. Not always gonna happen like that though. We do line up 6, 3, 2 to start.

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold
September 6, 2012 6:03 am  

I used to have kick return plays that we would practice and try to run in games, but now I don't bother.  Maybe if I coached the older youth kids I would still do it, but at the younger ages nearly every kick is an on-side kick attempt or a 15-20 yard squib kick......either intentionally or unintentionally.  The younger kids just can't kick the ball that far, though there are usually one or two teams in the league that have that ability but they don't always kick it deep.  Most teams know they can't kick it deep so they are trying to do a kick they can recover.  So my kick return team specializes in trying to get those on-side and squib kick attempts.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
September 6, 2012 7:26 am  

6-3-2

Or maybe 4-2-3-2 is more accurate.  I have the two end guys peeled back about 3-4 yards.

See attached - kick 1 would be a kick to take advantage of my "4 man" front line, but I just don't believe it's a high priority threat - as you can see, it's a very sharp angle, and IMO with a 10 year old leg, I can get two guys on the kick before the kickoff team can get there.  It helps that we use a similar line for our kick, so I know how hard it is to get the ball there.

Kick 2 is what I am worried about, we've lost those kicks when they've been able to lob it up over the front row into that gap - we had the ball hit and kick back towards the kicking team, so our second line guy couldn't get it, and the first line had already turned away to block.  We actually aim for this spot with our on-sides kicks, to try to get it rolling in that same gap between the first and second lines.  So I peeled those two guys back a few yards to they'd be in a  position to recover either way.

This is about how deep we go too.  If we think the kicker has a leg, we can back the deep two up a bit.

ReplyQuote
Coachschro
(@coachschro)
Bronze
September 6, 2012 7:36 am  

Wow, so you line up the first line on or near the 50 and then the second line at the 45?  And the last one where?  How old are your kids?

Good youth teams are smart enough to not kick the ball deep to the best player on our team. Last year on what we consider "deep" kicks we averaged over 40 yards per return with 4tds, plus 2 more that were called back in 7 games. We always go in with the idea they are well coached and will onside or spot kick it. This return philosophy also guarantees any semi deep kick will be returned by our stud kid with no risk of another kid thinking he should return it.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
September 7, 2012 5:19 am  

So would I be wasting two of my best players by having them play deep at the 11 and under level.

I had 5 up front, 4 about 10 yards behind them and then my 2 best players 10 yards or so behind them.

Thoughts?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: