Notifications

What is your kick return formation in youth football  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

Coachschro
(@coachschro)
Bronze
September 7, 2012 6:31 am  

Are they equal? I have never had two exceptional players to put back there, its always obvious who the top guy is. This player has never had any issues getting to the ball.

Our front six always know what number player they have from the ball. The middle four run towards the middle until our designated guy says go and they all turn up the field with the 2 inside guys taking first two that lead through the middle and the outside 2 turn outside taking the fist guy they see cming outside it. Returner always goes middle looking for the one cut to the seam. No tip toeing or juking...jmo

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
September 7, 2012 6:49 am  

Are they equal? I have never had two exceptional players to put back there, its always obvious who the top guy is. This player has never had any issues getting to the ball.

Our front six always know what number player they have from the ball. The middle four run towards the middle until our designated guy says go and they all turn up the field with the 2 inside guys taking first two that lead through the middle and the outside 2 turn outside taking the fist guy they see cming outside it. Returner always goes middle looking for the one cut to the seam. No tip toeing or juking...jmo

What is the team onsides kick all the time, or even onside kicks to your middle?

ReplyQuote
Coachschro
(@coachschro)
Bronze
September 7, 2012 10:49 am  

We expect people to onside kick, we have 10 players within five yards of the 50. We have no mpp on this team, these are the top 11 players we have. The four players in the middle are skill guys.  This is a scoring opportunity...

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
September 7, 2012 1:05 pm  

We use best 11 sets of hands.

Regarding wasting kids putting them deep - I have my best two runners deep because that's where they are most likely to actually get the space to make a play.  If the kick is short, we're likely just falling on it.  If it goes deep, I want my best players in space - the less space there is, the less their ability matters anyway.

ReplyQuote
Coach D
(@coach-d)
Bronze
September 7, 2012 1:15 pm  

I go 6-3-2

Front six are 2 yards back from the 10 yard mark and my most athletic "hands" guys....

Next 3 are spread (Middle man is on ball, the other two at the field numbers) and are 10 yards further - responsible for backing up a hard grounder to the front line (I tell them to come up hard like an outfielder in baseball backing up the infielder in front of them) or squibs that go over front lines head. 

Next 2 are back another 15 to cover both halves if kicked deep. 

Honestly as bad as getting scored upon is, my most hated part is having to line up in kick return against teams that know what they are doing and onsides well! 

ReplyQuote
coachgt
(@coachgt)
Bronze
September 8, 2012 10:10 pm  

I go 7-3-1. 7 are 10 yards off the ball, 3 are 10 behind them and 1 is 5 behind them.

If you are not with us, then by definition, you are against us.-Magneto

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
September 9, 2012 11:33 am  

Curious to see what formations and how deep each kid is.

Also, do you put all your kids with good hands up front?

well in our 1st game our kickoff teams coverage philosophy was to be wherever the ball carrier wasnt! 😉 4 TD's on punt and KO we lost! And yes this includes a squib and a punt away from this speed burner...the other team had it so who ever caught the ball ran over and gave it to this kid who then out ran our entire team...1 time he ran backwards 15 yds and then scored! 😉

As far as kick return this kid was on our boy catching 2 steps after he caUGHT IT!!! We couldnt get more than a few steps before getting tackled. We had at 1 point assigned our 2 fastest best hitters to just hit this kid/block him so we could return more than a step or to...he juked em and nailed our boy just the same...

the speed difference was so lobsided in a 40 yd dash he would be at the 40 and our fastest would be at the 30!

coachIknowIknowspeedkills!

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum
September 9, 2012 4:04 pm  

I use a 5-4-2.  Five on the 50, Four 7 yards deeper centered in the gaps, two 7 yards deeper stacked behind the two in the 2nd level middle.

Last year I had huge issues with the ball hitting the front blockers.  This set up offers less of a target and the ball typically roles between the gaps.  Last year we lost a few balls, this year zero.

The rules I teach my kids are:

1st line of defenders (good hands) to fall on the ball or catch and fall, they are not allowed to run it. If the ball goes past you  you block.
2nd level can run if they get it.  If it goes over their head they block to the right.
3rd level returners cover a side ball kicked to the their right A gets it, to the left B gets it.  The other blocks for him and they run right.

A        B

X      X        X        X

X      X        X        X          X

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum
September 9, 2012 4:06 pm  

So would I be wasting two of my best players by having them play deep at the 11 and under level.

I had 5 up front, 4 about 10 yards behind them and then my 2 best players 10 yards or so behind them.

Thoughts?

Same as I use. It works good I think.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze
September 19, 2012 1:20 pm  

I use a 5-4-2.  Five on the 50, Four 7 yards deeper centered in the gaps, two 7 yards deeper stacked behind the two in the 2nd level middle.

Last year I had huge issues with the ball hitting the front blockers.  This set up offers less of a target and the ball typically roles between the gaps.  Last year we lost a few balls, this year zero.

The rules I teach my kids are:

1st line of defenders (good hands) to fall on the ball or catch and fall, they are not allowed to run it. If the ball goes past you  you block.
2nd level can run if they get it.  If it goes over their head they block to the right.
3rd level returners cover a side ball kicked to the their right A gets it, to the left B gets it.  The other blocks for him and they run right.

A        B

X      X        X        X

X      X        X        X          X

That's how we line up.  Every team in our league tries to kick deep, most are not successful.  We have our front five pick out individual players and our middle four drop back and get shoulder to shoulder to form a wedge of sorts, then the deep man who doesn't catch the ball leads the ball carrier up into the wedge.  We teach our bc's to hit the wedge full speed and trust that the seam will open up.  When they see it, make one cut and GO!  Had one return for TD so far this year and many very good returns. 

-Craig

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner? September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)
October 21, 2012 10:10 am  

12-13 year old level.

We line up 6 upfront at 10 yards (well one step back from 10) 4 guys 12 yards back from that line. One guy deep.

My best 4 runners are the middle line, my fastest kid remaining is deep, and the front 6 is the best hands of the rest of the group.

7 games this year we've had less than 3 or 4 make it all the way back. 75% of our league squib kicks to the middle line.

We never kick deep. Our kickers job is to get it through the front line and give us a chance to recover it, he aims 15-20 yards on the ground in a hole. So far this year, we've only lost one onside kick. We've recovered 4 I can think of.

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
October 23, 2012 2:36 pm  

I used to run a 6-3-2 but last year we experimented with a 4-5-2 and it worked nicely.  We always WALL to our sideline.

---SL-------------------------------1---------2---------3--------4---------------------------------SL (our)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------5----------------6-------------------7------------------8------------------9
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------10----------------------------11

Basically if we get an onside kick it is often between 1 to 4 so having guys on the edges on the line are a waste of time because the ball will either bounce out of the bounds or towards 5/6 or 8/9 anyways. 

If the ball is onside kicked the nearest man is taught to cover it and the rest of the blockers on the line get in front of him/keep KO men off him.  The midline nearest him are taught to cover him up.  The back line is taught to fake a reverse behind it because often the edge onside KO will get caught looking and will not get involved.

If the ball is kicked to the midline they cover it if the KO is on top of them otherwise they simply run the wall inside of the wall and ignore their blocking rule. Backline facke reverse (10 fakes handoff and goes into wall and 11 fakes taking handoff and runs reverse).

If kicked deep:

1 through 4 sink and wall off towards the opposite sideline - 1 being the deepest hinge man and 4 being the shallow hinge (sets base).  9 drives up field and walls off first defender above , 8 wheels around 9 and walls off just above him, 7 wheels around 9 and 8 adn walls off up field.  5 and 6 crosss the field and kick out first defenders to show under the forming wall.

10 fakes reverse (gets ball) - and gets vertical up the wall.
11 fakes revese (gives ball to 10) and goes opposite side of field faking reverse.

Now if at anytime the KO starts to over collapse on our wall and gives up contain on the opponents sideline 10 lets 11 have the ball.

We rep it about 10 times when we install it and about 10 times each week.  50% of what we see is onside to the first line and 15% pop up to the 2nd line and 35% deep.  If you can get the ball up into wall and past the kick outs you are going to get a 20 yard + return...which is a big plus on field position.

Last season we did this from game 4 to the end of season.  Netted two TD's and we averaged starting on our opponents 32 yard line when kicked deep.

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
December 4, 2014 11:10 am  

8-2-1 with the front 8 running forward at the kick to make a block(on their predetermined player).  Usually, they all get a block.  Very high block percentage vs any other KO Return.  Also, they are in place in case of onside.  You can get more info here  http://footballislifeblog.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-8-2-1-kickoff-return.html

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
December 4, 2014 11:25 am  

Very vulnerable to the middle bloop kick which we ran a ton of this season

Kicked just over the heads of the first row at about 15 yards, high- about 12-15 feet

We had 3 different styles of onside kicks this season, this was our second most effective
Like it vs that type of alingnment

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
December 4, 2014 12:33 pm  

There needs to be a button to 'LIKE' a reply.  Thanks Coach!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: