Notifications

Where to line up?  

RSS

RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze
September 2, 2014 2:57 am  

Coaches,

I just want to make sure that I'm lining up correctly on ko/kor . Being that this is my first year as hc I want to make sure I'm lined up properly.

I believe we kickoff from our 40 so I guess we should line up around the 35?

With the KOR, does my front line stand at the 50 or 40 if the other team is kicking from their 40? How about my next 2 lines, how far back are they from the front line. Btw. I'm  doing the 5/4/2 KOR alignment.

CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
September 2, 2014 6:41 am  

Coach,
On KO.  About 5 yards behind the line is the norm, make sure the kids are moving forward at the kick, but they need to be behind the kicker as to not be offsides.

On KR.  I use a 6-3-2 bcuz the immediate threat of an onside worries be the most.  My front 6 is within 2 yards of the 50 yard line (10 yard mark).  The next 3 are in the outside gaps (usual onside kick aiming point) and middle gap respectively.

Best 2 athletes are about 15-20 yards back.  Want them coming to the ball not running back to get it.

Kent SuggBridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 2, 2014 7:21 am  

New rules force all players but the kicker to be no more than 5 yards off the ball. Only the kicker can be deeper and if you get tricky and someone else kicks it there should a penalty. At least 4 men to each side of the kicker also.

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze
September 2, 2014 7:28 am  

Coaches,

Thanks for the info. I did see in our league where we have to have 5 players on each side of the kicker. I didn't know about the entire ko team not being able to go back 5 years so thanks for the heads up.

So basically my best 2 returners will be at around my 35 yard line?

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 2, 2014 9:35 am  

I believe we kickoff from our 40 so I guess we should line up around the 35?

Just far enough back to get up to full speed as they cross the line.  That distance might well differ for different players.  No points awarded for neatness in lining up.  It's just that now in two major codes there's a maximum distance back that they can line up.  In Fed no part of their body can be over 5 yards behind the line; in NCAA, it's a 5 yard. maximum judged I think by the foremost part of the body.

With the KOR, does my front line stand at the 50 or 40 if the other team is kicking from their 40? How about my next 2 lines, how far back are they from the front line. Btw. I'm  doing the 5/4/2 KOR alignment.

I see so many youth R teams lining up right on their line, thinking that's some advantage, it's nuts.  The front line should be farther back to gain a little more time to react in case of a bouncing kick coming at them, usu. an onside attempt.  I like 3 yards behind the line.

The back line should be far enough back that there's no threat of the ball's being kicked over their heads, and in fact back a little farther so they can be moving forward when they field the ball whether it's aerial or bouncing.  So scout the opposing kicker.

Middle R line should split the difference between front & back; for most youth teams splitting it exactly works.  They should be back enough to prevent a Texas-Leaguer kickoff from dropping in front of or behind them.

So the positioning should be very much as for softball.  No "bunting" (i.e. kickoffs going less than 10 yards forward), so there's no reason to have your infield in/up.  Outfield should prevent the home run, and short outfield should be positioned to catch the blooper and quickly back up balls getting thru the infield.  Scout the opposing hitters.

ReplyQuote
Share: