Notifications

3-5-3 defense  

Page 1 / 4
  RSS

angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
January 31, 2013 2:53 pm  

Pros and cons for this in a run heavy league. 9 yr olds.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

bamapride
(@bamapride)
Bronze
January 31, 2013 3:01 pm  

I dont know if this will help, but watch some of Arizona's stuff.I watched them play a 3 man line against Oregon, and Oregon got the crap kicked out of their run game by Arizona (of all teams).

I always thought myself playing a 3-3-5 or 3-5-3 you'd be saying "hey, looky here, run all day." But after watching a couple of Arizona's games I was proved way wrong, and I was pretty happy about that.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
January 31, 2013 3:12 pm  

the blitzes can come from anywhere. Without leaving you at a disadvantage. I am working on line calls, lb blitzes and shifts, and coverages. If I feel I can explain it for a nine year old to understand then I am going that route.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
January 31, 2013 3:19 pm  

At the 9 year old level...

Pros-

The DE's ( Spurs )  are invisible to the blocking therefore the Offense is less effective running C/D gaps.

With 3 ILB's and all of the stunting they can do the A/B gaps are no picnic either.

Its a wide Umbrella so the defenders are playing down hill.

As multiple as any Offense can possibly be...this D can can be even more multiple without becoming irresponsible.

Plays a 0 tech NG.

Is fairly sweep proof.

Is minimum player friendly...DT's and MIKE

Multiple attack positions meaning the Offense can never dial in.

Cons-

Difficult to teach so it requires a top shelf staff. With all these moving pieces parts the coaches have to be on their toes.

Talent. Spurs are hybrids so you need two players that are top shelf.

Requires team speed. Since you are playing in space you must defend that space.

The NG position. You really need a wedge buster type player to complete the deal.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
January 31, 2013 3:27 pm  

Thanks the coaching is my biggest concern. I am getting a new group of coaches together. I ran 44 split last year. Im pretty confident the athletes are there.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
January 31, 2013 3:33 pm  

Thanks the coaching is my biggest concern. I am getting a new group of coaches together. I ran 44 split last year. Im pretty confident the athletes are there.

A

The 44 is just as dynamic so that's a good start right there.

Good luck !

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDavis
(@jetscoach)
Silver
January 31, 2013 4:16 pm  

I would be interested in why you are looking to switch from the 44 split? I know it's a little of the topic of the thread.

Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything. -- Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
January 31, 2013 4:53 pm  

I would be interested in why you are looking to switch from the 44 split? I know it's a little of the topic of the thread.

IDK just kind of gave me the mad scientist feeling. You know the evil laugh and tapping finger feeling. I know in 3 yrs of the 44, teams average 4 pts a game. All the other teams will have to throw out all there tapes on us. Plus I want to give new staff there own identity.

ReplyQuote
bamapride
(@bamapride)
Bronze
January 31, 2013 5:18 pm  

Honestly I know EXACTLY what you mean by the mad scientitst feeling.Teams I've coached the last 3 years.My opinion of that defense went from optimistic to I'm staying the hell away from it.

My idea has been "opposite philosophy." Put a 3-3-5 in, more "edge" defenders, and still enough interior men to handle inside game.Also, no worry about any passing plays.

ReplyQuote
CoachDavis
(@jetscoach)
Silver
January 31, 2013 5:45 pm  

Cool, thanks for the reply.

Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything. -- Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
January 31, 2013 6:17 pm  

I ran coltsys 33 work really well... I had my hands tied had to run odd stack and zone... Worked well

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold
January 31, 2013 8:00 pm  

I love the odd stack. The multitudes of things you can do with it, from coverages to blitzes is fun.  For 9 andunder, JJ's 33 Stack Attack was a great place for me to start. Fits my aggressive football personality perfectly.  Looking at what Calande, Cox and others do with it, lots of ways to do it and make it your own.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
February 1, 2013 3:56 am  

For my knowledge, what is the difference of the 33 and 35? I have not read anthing on either. Just have the personel for 5 lbs and 3 dl. One of my de in the 44 would actually make a good lb.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
February 1, 2013 4:30 am  

Typically, a 33 is played with 5 dbacks....a 35 is played with 5 lbers....the coverages are most likely different as the "spur" players are used differently in many (not all) cases.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
February 1, 2013 4:36 am  

Thanks coach. I assumed that, but you know what assuming does.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: