Notifications

46 alignment of dline  

RSS

calcoach
(@calcoach)
Copper
August 1, 2018 12:04 pm  

Coaches,

I typically see a 3-0-3 alignment. Does anyone run a 4-0-4? I am having a discussion with a few coaching buddies and I am partial to the 3-0-3.

Why? I think it influences the blocks from the Oline OT/OG on your 3 tech and allows for your interior LBs to play a bit cleaner.

Why the 3-0-3? Why not a 4-0-4?

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
August 1, 2018 12:14 pm  

Isn't the main point of the TNT that the guards can't help the center?  I think lots of people go 4-0-4.  It's just not a 46, then, I imagine.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
August 1, 2018 12:54 pm  

4-0-4 is what is usually seen in traditional 5-2 defenses.

ReplyQuote
defensewins
(@defensewins)
Silver
August 1, 2018 8:56 pm  

Isn't the main point of the TNT that the guards can't help the center?  I think lots of people go 4-0-4.  It's just not a 46, then, I imagine.

Bingo

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
August 2, 2018 1:23 am  

Coaches,

I typically see a 3-0-3 alignment. Does anyone run a 4-0-4? I am having a discussion with a few coaching buddies and I am partial to the 3-0-3.

Why? I think it influences the blocks from the Oline OT/OG on your 3 tech and allows for your interior LBs to play a bit cleaner.

Why the 3-0-3? Why not a 4-0-4?

Rex Ryan referred to “ ability alignment” meaning the dts lined up in the manner that met their ability to accomplish the job based on two rules:

1- no reach blocks
2- no jump thru blocks

A 4 tech would permit a jump thru block by the guard. For those who dont know what a jump thru block is, its a block by the backside guard against the backside backer in pursuit. The reach block in the dt scenario is referencing a playside guard reaching the playside dt. Thats bad because it allows the playside offensive T to reach the playside backer.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Spyder89
(@spyder89)
Bronze
August 2, 2018 3:38 am  

Rex Ryan referred to “ ability alignment” meaning the dts lined up in the manner that met their ability to accomplish the job based on two rules:

1- no reach blocks
2- no jump thru blocks

A 4 tech would permit a jump thru block by the guard. For those who dont know what a jump thru block is, its a block by the backside guard against the backside backer in pursuit. The reach block in the dt scenario is referencing a playside guard reaching the playside dt. Thats bad because it allows the playside offensive T to reach the playside backer.

I think Rex would of literally had a heart attack if you lined his D-Line up in 4-0-4. 
I once counted how many times the term "do not get reached" (or words to those effect) were used in his book.  It was mind numbing lol

- Ray

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 2, 2018 4:41 am  

Shades are a tricky thing

The 46 yes 3-0-3 sometimes even looked like 2-0-2. 

Rex is 3-4 guy and he played a lot of fronts see Mike Pettine clinic slide show under rex:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxHdATiq7es5aWJoaWYxX2VxeU0/view?usp=drivesdk

In a 4 you have 2 basic techniques in an odd front ... leverage a gap or shoot a gap.  Eg 50 slant or Parcells 2 gap.

I went on a rant, sorry

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Spyder89
(@spyder89)
Bronze
August 2, 2018 5:03 am  

Shades are a tricky thing

The 46 yes 3-0-3 sometimes even looked like 2-0-2. 

Rex is 3-4 guy and he played a lot of fronts see Mike Pettine clinic slide show under rex:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxHdATiq7es5aWJoaWYxX2VxeU0/view?usp=drivesdk

In a 4 you have 2 basic techniques in an odd front ... leverage a gap or shoot a gap.  Eg 50 slant or Parcells 2 gap.

I went on a rant, sorry

You're absolutely right as far as him being a multi-front guy. The point i was trying to make was solely his 46 alignment.  I don't think I've ever seen his 46 set lineup as anything wider than 3-0-3.

- Ray

ReplyQuote
calcoach
(@calcoach)
Copper
August 3, 2018 6:24 am  

Understood that a 4-0-4 means it is not a 46.

Could someone explain how a 3-0-3 influence a zone blocking team?

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
August 3, 2018 6:31 am  

Not an expert in zone, but if the defense is in 3-0-3 front the guards and center are covered.  They would have to block 1 vs. 1 and it would prevent those linemen from combo blocking up to the LB.

ReplyQuote
defensewins
(@defensewins)
Silver
August 4, 2018 8:29 pm  

With cover 0, running zone against a bear/46 is a absolute no go. 

With cover 1, the PST has the DE, the PSG has the 3 tech, the BSG and Center combo the NG and the remaining ILB while the BST has the other 3 tech...QB reads the BSDE...There are other ways to do this too...but none of them are great unless the offense has an absolute @$$kicker at C to take on the NG by himself. 

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 5, 2018 8:08 pm  

Not an expert in zone, but if the defense is in 3-0-3 front the guards and center are covered.  They would have to block 1 vs. 1 and it would prevent those linemen from combo blocking up to the LB.

Youre correct, you would check power 0. Heres why.  Extra blocker.

Wide zone genericall...y gets 9, t gets b (mis match), g takes the 3 (3 prevents jump through) , center and "a" combo 0 to b, b scoops 3.  * we lose bc we cant account for the mike and calls can be made to do this however its not a clean run. Power o works bc we down block and bring 2 additional players to poa just to balance out man power. Advantage goes to the defense here bc now were are forced to block  this perfectly or we get no gain, push cracks need to happen on the safety and maybe get a 1v1 cb to rb.

--------L------------m
-----5--3-----0-----3----b--9
------b---a---#---g---t---y

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
calcoach
(@calcoach)
Copper
August 6, 2018 6:13 am  

Thanks a ton guys. This really helps my thought process!

ReplyQuote
Share: