Notifications

5-2 and the Oklahoma 50  

RSS

MSU Spartans
(@msu-spartans)
Copper
February 9, 2013 5:32 am  

What is the main difference(s) between a base 5-2 and the "Oklahoma 50" defense?
Also, what is an Okie front? (alginment/technique numbering wise).

Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
February 9, 2013 6:44 am  

as far as I know they are the same thing. I should say I call them the same thing. It could also be a weak eagle (under) defense and or strong eagle (over) .

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
bignose
(@bignose)
Silver
February 9, 2013 7:31 am  

Quick history lesson:
The 5-2 or 5-4 has been around "forever".
Originally, the position we now refer to as Corners, used to be called corner linebackers.

In the early 1950's many teams were running the "Split T Option Offense" including the University of Oklahoma.
To combat this offense, teams went to the 5-2 with a rotating umbrella secondary so they could numerically get the extra defender play side. This defense stopped the option cold.
This, too was featured by Oklahoma, on their way to a 47 game winning streak.
Hence the term "Oklahoma or Okie defense".
Thus endeth today's lesson.

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
defensewins
(@defensewins)
Silver
February 14, 2013 12:35 pm  

Also, what is an Okie front? (alginment/technique numbering wise).

the interior three DL will be 4-0-4 tech
two ILB stacked over the OG's
DE's or OLB's in 9 tech's
4 DB's in the secondary.  A lot of coaches have their SS as a "monster" or a guy that they will adjust a lot with (to strength, to passing strength, etc.). 

Also, a lot of guys will roll a safety down and play cover 3 or cover 1.  Higher levels, you'll see a lot of quarters. 

ReplyQuote
Share: