(@mjm7179)
Bronze
Topic starter  

What the hells the difference??

"You can't win a game if you don't score any points." - John Madden

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

In youth, not much. At older levels the players are more specialized for the 3-4.

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold

Semantics ??

Most 3-4 guys will say versatility ... just like us 33 guys when comparing with the 53 ...

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

Just TERMINOLOGY!

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
defensewins
(@defensewins)
Silver

Agree with what's been posted so far.

ReplyQuote
defensewins
(@defensewins)
Silver

We run a 5-2 or 3-4 depending on the call and situation. USC calls themselves a 5-2. Stanford calls themselves a 3-4. I attended practice at both schools this spring and both teams' DE/OLB's are the same kids and do the same things (more or less). If anything, the USC kids we a little more athletic.

ReplyQuote
mjm7179
(@mjm7179)
Bronze
Topic starter  

It just funny because the 5-2 is common in youth football, but if you say 3-4 everyone looks at you cross-eyed.

"You can't win a game if you don't score any points." - John Madden

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

There's not one.

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

Often the only real difference is the end play...52 they are playing as a DE and in a 34 they are playing an OLB type.  Also due to that difference the Safety play can vary slightly...

But like many side at the youth level it is really all the same.  You really don't see a difference until you get into MS (well coached MS ball) and HS.

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

One year paper called em def ends other week olbs... same kids same spots different stats different names

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

One year paper called em def ends other week olbs... same kids same spots different stats different names

One thing I have noticed, it makes the kids feel better. If you tell a 260lb 4 technique that he's a de, his eyes light up a bit. Same thing when you tell a 200lb Kid that he's a lb.

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

One thing I have noticed, it makes the kids feel better. If you tell a 260lb 4 technique that he's a de, his eyes light up a bit. Same thing when you tell a 200lb Kid that he's a lb.

We have fun with names

Stud
Freak
Nasty
Bear
Whip

Maniac
Bull

Shark
Fear

Stuff like that

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
defensewins
(@defensewins)
Silver

Very true. A coach in our area got a lot of grief from some parents because he called the OLB position DE. Silly

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

Very true. A coach in our area got a lot of grief from some parents because he called the OLB position DE. Silly

That's ridiculous. I think it was Coach Alex Paterson that runs the 3-5-3, but identifies all positions with girls names.  😀 wonder how that would go over. Lol

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
hharris
(@hharris)
Bronze

Our high school went to a "3-4" this year and I was wondering the same thing.  Great replies!!!!! 

One difference I see from last year is they have dedicated players for the field/strength and boundary who will flip flop based on calls.  Last year, they didn't flip flop as many players to the field/strength.  This should be a drastic improvement in personnel decisions.  It allows the D coordinator to put more bulls on the boundary and more speed on the field/strength.

Another difference is the 3 down lineman are no longer all slanting one direction or the other.  The OLB is now making a call to the DE on technique.  Sometimes the DE's are both slanting in to the B gap which is slightly different technique than last year.  The Nose is now a two gap player.  They also have more versatility with pass coverage based on calls.  It is very easy for a player to be called on or off pass coverage based on calls.

I am actually having a hard time remembering all the different position names.  We are doing it similar to Zach.  I miss calling a DE a DE.  The young men do seem to like the names and I agree that the OLB and DE vs. DE and DT gives the players a different sense of pride in their position/title.

ReplyQuote
Share: