Notifications

Does anyone use the Coxbox 521 Defense  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Run68bone
(@run68bone)
Bronze
January 14, 2013 1:26 pm  

Has any used Coach Cox 521 or 5225 Defensive systems, I know it's a 33/35 system. I would like any input of what others have experience with it.

searider86
(@searider86)
Silver
January 14, 2013 1:46 pm  

Has any used Coach Cox 521 or 5225 Defensive systems, I know it's a 33/35 system. I would like any input of what others have experience with it.

I have used it the past 2 years and it is a fun defense.  Easy to install and Coach Cox is very helpful.  His material is easy to understand.  I'm still learning it and I'm going into year 3.

"Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority." Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
Coach Big B
(@theredzoneshow)
Gold
January 14, 2013 4:48 pm  

great system and very flexable. his system is so simple you can also flex in and out of different fronts with different coverages over top. his items are very detailed as well.

The Red Zone Show (Host/Producer)"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit." Coach Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
Run68bone
(@run68bone)
Bronze
January 18, 2013 6:05 am  

Thank you both for sharing. Looks like not many folks use it or are willing. It seems so much easier to teach then some of the other 33/35 systems which just seem to filled with jargon. I love the number system of the 521/5225.

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
January 18, 2013 10:04 am  

i use it too.  my DE/OLB play is a little different but the rest is nearly identical.

"Whether you think you can, or cannot, you're probably right."

ReplyQuote
coachdonhigh
(@coachdonhigh)
Bronze
January 20, 2013 7:56 pm  

Oh yes I use it! And Contributed to it with the 5225 Maddog Attack!!

Coach Don High

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold
January 20, 2013 8:23 pm  

Coach Don High

My copy of the 521 doesn't have the 5225 illustrated. Is that a seperat package?

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
January 21, 2013 2:36 am  

hey fizz send me ur email ill get it to you.

"Whether you think you can, or cannot, you're probably right."

ReplyQuote
Coach Big B
(@theredzoneshow)
Gold
January 23, 2013 5:39 pm  

My copy of the 521 doesn't have the 5225 illustrated. Is that a seperat package?

he had it on here at one time.

http://www.coachbigb.com/coach-terry-coxs-521-353-defensive-scheme-sample-playbook

I will find the link to his interview and 5225. If you learn the 521 you're really learning the 5225. Get the whole system because once you use 5225 the other calls will throw teams off balance. Since the time he had came on he now has cvr 0,1,2,3, and 4. Then you also have every front now. Then he has some spy packages along with an option manual to defend the option. This is a system you can take with you and make your own quickly.

The Red Zone Show (Host/Producer)"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit." Coach Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
searider86
(@searider86)
Silver
January 23, 2013 9:42 pm  

I believe I'm missing the Maddog attack as well.  Is it different from Falcon?

"Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority." Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
tboise
(@tboise)
Copper
January 24, 2013 2:31 pm  

I used it last year for the first time and the base was pretty easy to teach. In our 5 wins we gave up 26 points with 2 shutouts (would have been 3 but gave up a score on the last play of the game). In our 3 losses we ran into teams that just were physically better than us. Because it was my first year running it and because of limited practice time, we were not prepared to make adjustments such as using multiple fronts. But as stated above, Coach Cox is very responsive and helped me a lot. I now have a better understanding of adjustments and think it will be even better this year.

ReplyQuote
Coach Big B
(@theredzoneshow)
Gold
January 25, 2013 3:12 am  

I believe I'm missing the Maddog attack as well.  Is it different from Falcon?

Maddogg is the 5225. The Falcon is the Spy concept system based off of the 5225. This is when you're playing a team that has a go to guy and you want to spy him to take that option away. We all know that most youth systems don't have a "spy" set up in them. More or less we protect gaps and make adjustments to disturb comfort level. The Falcon allow you to take away any key player without getting you away from your base. This shifting of assignment on the fly throw off the coaches as well as the players. We used it two yrs. ago against a team that ran direct snap and won 21-0. We also made adjustments to sit on two players as well. It's a nice package if you was able to scout at team and they lean on a key player. This system worked well when they were a direct snap team too. We used this with a "Superman" call as well. (Coach High knows about that.)

ReplyQuote
DANGERZONE
(@dangerzone)
Bronze
February 9, 2013 6:55 am  

coach haven't used it yet...myself and my staff are diving into it now so we will be ready next year. I like the simplicity and the flexibility it gives you

‎"I make my practices real hard ........because if a player is a quitter.....I want him to quit in practice, not in a game." Bear Bryant / Alabama"It's amazing what you can accomplish if enough people care" Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
Run68bone
(@run68bone)
Bronze
February 22, 2013 8:55 am  

I've been reading up on it also, and also getting into other 3-5/3-3 defensive materials I have. It's been a great week of fun.

ReplyQuote
Coach Big B
(@theredzoneshow)
Gold
February 27, 2013 5:17 am  

I've been reading up on it also, and also getting into other 3-5/3-3 defensive materials I have. It's been a great week of fun.

Okay this was something that my local HS was about to do and I wanted to pass this on to you. All 353's aren't the same. For example Coach Cox do something different with his OLB's then Coach Manchester or Coach Mcnew do with their system. When you're looking at systems make sure you remember this. This was something I saw when I looked at other coaching playbooks. Even with Coach JJ Lawson's system the OLB and Secondary adjustments are different. I also wanted to point out that if you're looking at running 353 don't be one that is scared to send pressure. (Not saying this at all to you) One coach told me he was going to run the 353 and only send 4 man pressures. In my mind I felt why even run it if that's all you're going to send? This is a stunting attacking system. We want to disturb and test blocking assignments. We want to have auto calls and adjustments to formations along with the attack of the offensive play. We want to make it hard for scout teams to run our system for that weekly prep. Nothing is better than to pressure gaps, have adjusting coverages, and also accounting for every player on the field. Coach Cox system allow you to do this and more. Later you will find yourself making the system you're own and it's no telling where it will go from here.  ;D

(1) Understand that each coach teach the system differently and reading more than one may confuse you. Find one system and study it and see if it fits your taste. On this site alone you have well over 4 353 systems. The key factor is secondary and the use of the OLB. Coach Cox do something different with his as well as Coach Lawson.

(2) We're an attacking defense not a sit back and send 4 man pressures. (This local school in my area mistake.) We release the Kracken and our adjustments are within our auto calls to help account for every player. We want to force teams into max protection and make it easier for us to know where they're attack is coming from by dictating to them instead of them dictating to us.  ;D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: