North Carolina
High School
July 31, 2019 6:01 am  

You're right

I'll now back away slowly to give way to the smarter people

😀  Now that's funny, Robert.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
July 31, 2019 6:35 am  

TPJ, were you teaching new blocking schemes every week for each new opponent?  Or did you teach all of your schemes at the beginning of the season, and then pick what you'd focus on as you approached each game?

We teach all of our rules, blocks and pull tags before we play our first game: wedge, trap, iso, g.o.d., base, gate, all, reach, down, g, cross, hinge, forklift, tight.  In this way, we're prepared for whatever our opponent throws at us.  It sounds like your prep is based on having scouted your opponent, yes?  If so, what if you've not scouted them?

--Dave

Here's what I did last year.

I taught all of my blocking schemes in the preseason. I assigned each one a color.

After that, I taught them tags, like Scoop, "X" (Cross), Gator (Guard Pull), GATE. We didn't have enough speed to run GATE, but it's a great conditioning drill 🙂

So, using last year's terminology, 16 Blue Power, tells everyone that we're using GOD Blocking. The Power keyword tells the BB to kickout and the other two RB's to lead block. I could change to TKO by calling 16 Teal Power or 16 Teal Scoop Power (guard scoops instead of blocking track).

Fortunately, all of the teams I'd face during the season have to play in Jamboree the week before the season starts. While it's only eight minutes of offense and defense per squad, it gives me enough information to figure out where to start from. That doesn't mean I won't adjust as the game goes on, but it at least gives me a starting point.

If I didn't have enough information on an opponent, I'd start out the game with what I felt my team did best, which last year was GOD blocking. The flow of the game will tell me whether I need to adjust anything at that point.

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 31, 2019 6:39 am  

Here's what I did last year.

I taught all of my blocking schemes in the preseason. I assigned each one a color.

After that, I taught them tags, like Scoop, "X" (Cross), Gator (Guard Pull), GATE. We didn't have enough speed to run GATE, but it's a great conditioning drill 🙂

So, using last year's terminology, 16 Blue Power, tells everyone that we're using GOD Blocking. The Power keyword tells the BB to kickout and the other two RB's to lead block. I could change to TKO by calling 16 Teal Power or 16 Teal Scoop Power (guard scoops instead of blocking track).

Fortunately, all of the teams I'd face during the season have to play in Jamboree the week before the season starts. While it's only eight minutes of offense and defense per squad, it gives me enough information to figure out where to start from. That doesn't mean I won't adjust as the game goes on, but it at least gives me a starting point.

If I didn't have enough information on an opponent, I'd start out the game with what I felt my team did best, which last year was GOD blocking. The flow of the game will tell me whether I need to adjust anything at that point.

Coach Terry

Interesting, TPJ.  How did you decide which blocking schemes you wanted to use?

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
July 31, 2019 7:52 am  

Interesting, TPJ.  How did you decide which blocking schemes you wanted to use?

--Dave

The rules that I know the best are GOD, GOL, TKO, and Coach Cox's "wash" -- which is basically the same as the Gap-Down-LB. I usually defaulted to the last two rules, unless the DG's were getting through before the down block got there. I would then switch to GOD or GOL because the DG's must line up in a 2 technique and they can't go through the A Gap (not saying I agree with the rule, just providing the background information).

Because I coach 8u, I'm allowed to be on the field with the kids (10 yards behind the play). This makes it easier to see what's going on and how to adjust.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 31, 2019 8:05 am  

The rules that I know the best are GOD, GOL, TKO, and Coach Cox's "wash"

--As long as it fits how your plays are designed, then it will work.  Some guys will just grab an arbitrary set of rules and affix it to their plays without understanding how the rules are supposed to work within a scheme.

the DG's must line up in a 2 technique and they can't go through the A Gap (not saying I agree with the rule, just providing the background information).

--I understand.  Good grief... ::) lol. By the way, can you run Wedge?

Because I coach 8u, I'm allowed to be on the field with the kids (10 yards behind the play). This makes it easier to see what's going on and how to adjust.

--The best view possible.  It's even better than having a coach in the press box.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: