Notifications

blocking rocket toss  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
April 24, 2016 4:42 pm  

I should have at least two QBs that are capable of running option - smart, athletic, and tough.

this is rare, usually a sign of youth QBs that are "additionally" coached on off days in some one on one atmosphere. I say this because developing a youth QB takes a couple of years typically. Very rarely can a coach with limited practice minutes coach up 2 QBs

ReplyQuote
Jtatham
(@jtatham)
Bronze
April 26, 2016 4:52 am  

I should have at least two QBs that are capable of running option - smart, athletic, and tough.

this is rare, usually a sign of youth QBs that are "additionally" coached on off days in some one on one atmosphere. I say this because developing a youth QB takes a couple of years typically. Very rarely can a coach with limited practice minutes coach up 2 QBs

Yes I will agree having two talented QBs is definitely rare. Really only had one QB that was both willing and capable of playing the position last season, and he was also my toughest and most talented ballcarrier so we went with Coach Cisar's version of the single wing with him as tailback. Snap and go. 🙂

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
April 26, 2016 5:02 am  

It does look the same until the motion back gets to where you'd snap the ball for option, and it's not snapped.That's the way I saw it: constraint play.  The defense has to be so set up for the option that even though the motion back gets to the point where they know it can only be rocket, they can't do anything effective about it.

However, I think on most children's teams, the motion requirements make flexbone unfavorable compared to a no-motion option, plus a no-motion quick pitch to the play side back.

When do you think the ball is snapped on option compared to rocket? What aiming points would you use?  Have you ever lined up as a LB to see it from their POV?  It is difficult for LBs and DL to tell the difference between jet and rocket motion from their position. I didn't believe it myself until I lined up as a LB. 

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
April 26, 2016 7:52 am  

When do you think the ball is snapped on option compared to rocket? What aiming points would you use?  Have you ever lined up as a LB to see it from their POV?  It is difficult for LBs and DL to tell the difference between jet and rocket motion from their position. I didn't believe it myself until I lined up as a LB.

Morris, I do exactly that, I line up at Mike, Will or Sam, I then lower my head to be a tall version of that age group, and then watch offense. Primarily for misdirection plays. Sometimes, when I know a play looks good I ask 3 other coaches to act as linebackers. So they can point out something Im missing or say something like "oh yah that had me fooled!"

I started to anticipate play by calling them, this was interfering with my objective opinion. I then started having a asst coach or the QB call plays in a huddle to surprise me.

What Im looking for is the ball, Im not over there to correct the kids Im there to correct myself. If my misdirection play design does not make me want to go wrong way, or clear me out of POA then thats on me!

2ndly and with out the kids knowing I watch eyes & physical body language for tells...you know "the lean" or "the stare" right down to outright pointing the helmet.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: