Notifications

Buck sweep in SBV  

RSS

Jtatham
(@jtatham)
Bronze
October 26, 2017 10:48 am  

Anybody ever played around with the Wing T buck sweep from a split back alignment? Just wondering if this would be a good complimentary play to put in or if it's too different to easily fit within split backs.

blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
October 26, 2017 11:02 am  

Anybody ever played around with the Wing T buck sweep from a split back alignment? Just wondering if this would be a good complimentary play to put in or if it's too different to easily fit within split backs.

You can block a Power Sweep from split backs pretty easily.  That can use similar blocking up front.

The issue you run into with the Buck action is that the offset RB is coming from the opposite side as the trapper for the Trap, so the angle and timing gets really screwy there.  His footwork needs to get pretty funky to clear the BSG and still get downhill and that slows the play down a lot.

You wind up either just running Buck Sweep as a 1 off play without the trap and the PSRB filling playside A gap or you wind up running it with the trap going opposite the sweep action, which makes it a much easier read for the LBs if they just key Gs.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
October 27, 2017 6:36 am  

Buck has fb filling quick guard vacancy on pull while setting up waggle.

This is the only part of the buck sweep thats compromised.

You can still do it...just gonna look like cross buck

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
October 28, 2017 3:17 pm  

We played a split back veer team in the last couple of weeks. We won because we had more talent, but they executed better than we did. And it was outside, inside and midline 98 pct. of the time. The longer I do this, the more I watch and see, you do not need a lot of plays, you need to execute a few at a high level. All the formation, motions, complimentary plays are complete non-sense if you cannot execute a couple of thing at an extremely high level. There are very  few really well trained defenses. I love to watch linebackers pursuit, run backwards, but they cannot and or will not come up. if they do not step up, no need to come off on the linebackers. Have not faced a team yet who has linebackers who will do it.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
October 28, 2017 5:09 pm  

We played a split back veer team in the last couple of weeks. We won because we had more talent, but they executed better than we did. And it was outside, inside and midline 98 pct. of the time. The longer I do this, the more I watch and see, you do not need a lot of plays, you need to execute a few at a high level. All the formation, motions, complimentary plays are complete non-sense if you cannot execute a couple of thing at an extremely high level. There are very  few really well trained defenses. I love to watch linebackers pursuit, run backwards, but they cannot and or will not come up. if they do not step up, no need to come off on the linebackers. Have not faced a team yet who has linebackers who will do it.

I just started doing this (2nd year HC) and I'm coming to the same conclusion as you. As much as I love the X&O and chalkboard stuff, I've realized that we will run belly all day until you cheat then just toss the ball outside of you. I start thinking what is the point of practicing those "other plays" when the 3 runs and a Playaction is working. Of course I'll keep running the other plays in practice just in case but it makes you think huh

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
October 29, 2017 9:58 am  

I just started doing this (2nd year HC) and I'm coming to the same conclusion as you. As much as I love the X&O and chalkboard stuff, I've realized that we will run belly all day until you cheat then just toss the ball outside of you. I start thinking what is the point of practicing those "other plays" when the 3 runs and a Playaction is working. Of course I'll keep running the other plays in practice just in case but it makes you think huh

Until somebody shows me they understand defense? I am done with chalk board stuff.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
October 29, 2017 12:59 pm  

Why not just run Lombardi's Sweep? That was run from split backs.

ReplyQuote
bignose
(@bignose)
Silver
October 29, 2017 5:53 pm  

Buck Sweep, probably not.
Split back Power Lead Sweep is very good, but not what you asked. I figure that you want the misdirection component.

Wing T "Belly" Sweep might work(fake is in the play side/front side A-Gap) , but for all of the work and timing, the juice probably isn't worth the squeezing.
The pulling and kick out blocks used in the Buck Sweep make for an expensive install, using skills that the normal Veer team doesn't do often.

The SBV equivalent to this is the Counter Option:
QB reverse pivots, flash fakes the Dive back and then has an option on the last man on the LOS.
Pitch man jab steps opposite and then runs a normal option pitch route.  (on the Belly Sweep, the QB would hand off to him instead of pitching it)
The line base blocks and the TE arc releases to the secondary run support. Relatively easy install using stuff. the kids already know.
This was our most explosive play on yards per carry.

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
Share: