DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
October 15, 2012 1:58 pm  

I have a very effective option formation that looks like this:

O        O  O 0 O  O    O
                                O                              O
                          O    O

The formation uses progressive line splits like Bud Wilkerson's "Split T" in order to maximize option opportunities.  To gain a third running back for option left, the FL on the right (bold) goes in deep arc ("Jumbo") motion similar to flex-bone.  In the above, you can run Inside Veer left or Outside Veer right or "Midline Option" right.  The "give" read on the dive is much simpler from this formation than from wishbone, flexbone, or "I", making it very youth friendly.  Coach Jem, who posts in this section often, has long spotted the option advantages of this formation.  I have an entire free playbook on this offense in the Custom Playbooks section of this forum.

You can also call your options rather than have the QB read them.  For example, you can call the dive of the inside veer (Most DCWT coaches do this) for a quick 4-7 yard gain while watching the playside DE.  If he crashes, the next play you call the dive as a fake and option the DE.

DCWT has some rather advanced option features.  Most Option QB's have an instruction that begins something like this:

"Pitch unless..." (With "unless" usually followed by "pitchman covered".). 

It's a very common instruction intended to keep the QB from getting killed and getting the ball to the better runner.  DCWT duplicates this with its "47 Option" and "38 Opton" calls.  It's a particularly good call against a DE coming in fast with instructions to "drill' the QB. 

However, some DE's will stop or slow down in order to either "slow play" or "feather" the QB.  It usually takes time to teach an option QB how to deal with this on his own.  But DCWT will alllow you to counter this merely by calling "15 Option" or 16 Option" which give your QB this instruction:

"Keep unless..." (usually followed by, "you can't get by."

This instruction will immediately allow the QB to get by the "slow play" or "feathering" DE .

The ability to be able to give this instruction not only greatly reduces your QB's practice time but also allows you to deal with your QB's personal desires on the play.  Some youth QB's will execute the option read perfectly in practice and yet do whatever they want in a game.  Those who want to run the ball will ignore a pitch read and keep - And there goes your offense.  Those who don't want to run the ball (fear) will pitch on a keep read - And there goes your offense.  I have had both types of QB's.  I countered the first by giving the "Pitch unless" instruction and countered the second with the "Keep unless" instruction.  I know of no other option offense that can do this.

I put this material on a DVD which shows everything from how to teach the pitch, the pitch relationship, and the breakdown, to the give read on the dive - with drills included - and I taught it all to another coach's team in about an hour.  This DVD is only $ 30 (Jem has a copy) but I'm sure it's worth much more than that as it covers a lot, does it simple, and does it fast.

I'm posting this because requests have been made to know what DVD's I offer.  This is a non-advertising site and so I never listed them.  However, if one includes useful information in a post one can advertise.  For the visual learner this is very fast and its very affordable and will likely help anyone interested in adding option to their game.  It's priced at only $ 30 but don't let that fool you.  It's worth way more than that.  It's cheap to get you to try it.

To order, send payment by paypal to this account:

clarkwilkins@charter.net

State you want the Option DVD and verify your shipping address.  Expect delivery in 3-4 working days. 

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

jem
 jem
(@jem)
Gold
October 15, 2012 2:21 pm  

I have a very effective option formation that looks like this:

O        O  O 0 O  O    O
                                O                              O
                          O    O

The formation uses progressive line splits like Bud Wilkerson's "Split T" in order to maximize option opportunities.  To gain a third running back for option left, the FL on the right (bold) goes in deep arc ("Jumbo") motion similar to flex-bone.  In the above, you can run Inside Veer left or Outside Veer right or "Midline Option" right.  The "give" read on the dive is much simpler from this formation than from wishbone, flexbone, or "I", making it very youth friendly.  Coach Jem, who posts in this section often, has long spotted the option advantages of this formation.  I have an entire free playbook on this offense in the Custom Playbooks section of this forum.

You can also call your options rather than have the QB read them.  For example, you can call the dive of the inside veer (Most DCWT coaches do this) for a quick 4-7 yard gain while watching the playside DE.  If he crashes, the next play you call the dive as a fake and option the DE.

DCWT has some rather advanced option features.  Most Option QB's have an instruction that begins something like this:

"Pitch unless..." (With "unless" usually followed by "pitchman covered".). 

It's a very common instruction intended to keep the QB from getting killed and getting the ball to the better runner.  DCWT duplicates this with its "47 Option" and "38 Opton" calls.  It's a particularly good call against a DE coming in fast with instructions to "drill' the QB. 

However, some DE's will stop or slow down in order to either "slow play" or "feather" the QB.  It usually takes time to teach an option QB how to deal with this on his own.  But DCWT will alllow you to counter this merely by calling "15 Option" or 16 Option" which give your QB this instruction:

"Keep unless..." (usually followed by, "you can't get by."

This instruction will immediately allow the QB to get by the "slow play" or "feathering" DE .

The ability to be able to give this instruction not only greatly reduces your QB's practice time but also allows you to deal with your QB's personal desires on the play.  Some youth QB's will execute the option read perfectly in practice and yet do whatever they want in a game.  Those who want to run the ball will ignore a pitch read and keep - And there goes your offense.  Those who don't want to run the ball (fear) will pitch on a keep read - And there goes your offense.  I have had both types of QB's.  I countered the first by giving the "Pitch unless" instruction and countered the second with the "Keep unless" instruction.  I know of no other option offense that can do this.

I put this material on a DVD which shows everything from how to teach the pitch, the pitch relationship, and the breakdown, to the give read on the dive - with drills included - and I taught it all to another coach's team in about an hour.  This DVD is only $ 30 (Jem has a copy) but I'm sure it's worth much more than that as it covers a lot, does it simple, and does it fast.

I'm posting this because requests have been made to know what DVD's I offer.  This is a non-advertising site and so I never listed them.  However, if one includes useful information in a post one can advertise.  For the visual learner this is very fast and its very affordable and will likely help anyone interested in adding option to their game.

For information on how to order, just PM me. 

Clark didn't ask me to say anything, but I will.

It is a great video.  There is no fluff.  And you will not be sorry.

It gets down to what is important and you can use as much as you like or as little as you like.

The 'keep unless'.... or 'pitch unless' or 'give unless' is spot on.

The videos keeps everything simple... which is exactly what is needed at the youth level... nothing is complex.

Even if you don't run the DC Wing T or the formation....it will still apply.

Have fun!

j

"I truly believe it’s not what you know – it’s what you can teach."  Tony DeMeo"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting."  Napoleon Hill"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
February 11, 2013 12:06 pm  

From another forum:

I have all of these...  purchased most two years before I ran the DC Wing T.  The option DVD simplifies teaching option football. Shows the QB how to read the end (which is really genius).  The install DVDs are great...

If you were thinking of running option.. I would definitely say purchase the option DVD even if you are not going to run the Wing T.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
February 13, 2013 7:57 am  

I can't wait to get my DVD in the mail! I love option and based on all I hear on how simple it is to teach it, go figure I thought it was almost impossible with little guys. I will definitely give a review once my DVD makes it here and I have a chance to watch it.

ReplyQuote
Coach Big B
(@theredzoneshow)
Gold
September 4, 2013 9:42 am  

The benefit of being a radio show host is the media items that come in to my office and Coach Wilkins Option DVD DC Wing T was excellent as always.

(1) Very simple instructions with detailed coaching points.

This is Coach Wilkins trademark when it comes to teaching HS-College-Pro information and breaking it down for youth coaches. I remember him saying that he was given an assignment to defend a option play. He drawn up a scheme and now that scheme is a major system on this site. The key was he studied a system to find out a way to defend. You can tell he studied the option game and found ways to add it to his system as well as coaches who run other systems. I loved the age of kids he used and he often will stop and talk about a coaching point. He also don't give "I have a dream speech" every single time a mistake was made by the player. He correct the issue (that was great to have mistakes shown on tape then everything always working.) and got back to reps. Reps are key for us at any level because we have to squeeze as much out of every second we can when we have our kids. The vid allow you to see the proper tech so it's easier to teach. This is an excellent tool for kids as well to see when you get to that part of the install as well for the player ro see the mistakes and prevent them when you insall. 

(2) Great Drills

When you install you need to get reps as well as drills to help with muscle memory of techs. He has some great drill sthat won't eat up your practice schedule.

(3) Pitch Keys and Mesh Point

This is huge and he made it very easy for the youth player to know when to pitch or keep. Then he also had a section that covered the mesh point. This is huge and a big part of any option team.

(4) Overall Report

This is a great DVD and this report would be way too long to type. So Coach Wilkins will come on the show so we cover other points and the base of the purpose of his DVD. Even if your not running DC Wing T this is a must have in your coaching resources. I can see how many of these concepts will help me and I'm at the JV level at my school. This easy way to teach have been used from his DC 46 (defenisve tech), RB Speed Training (Jump Cut and setting up defenders), and also this Option DVD (Teaching how to run base option.). More info on his interview will be posted soon. Excuse the typos..but I was in a rush when it came to getting this out.

The Red Zone Show (Host/Producer)"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit." Coach Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
Share: