Notifications
Clear all

Flex bone for Fall 2021

Page 1 / 3

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Had a long talk with our OC last week. I'm giving him full control of the offense. I didn't have to insist on including Beast and 5 wide empty. We are on the same page in that regard. For our "regular" offense, he wants to run flex bone. I voiced my concerns with running triple option at the youth level and he had valid responses to each of them. So I told him to go for it.

I was a wishbone option QB in HS for our Sophomore team, so I have some experience with triple option.  I started digging into materials this weekend and found a flexbone blog as well as a Youtube channel called "Flexbone 101". Really good stuff. Our blocking schemes mesh perfectly with midline and inside veer. My takeaway is that essentially, the difference between midline, inside veer and outside veer is the POA for the dive and subsequently, the defender that you will option for the dive. 

I'm excited to dive into it and make it work. I know it will be a challenge, but nothing about football is easy. OC and I will put our heads together and build it.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

I voiced my concerns with running triple option at the youth level and he had valid responses to each of them.

Which were...?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachdp

I voiced my concerns with running triple option at the youth level and he had valid responses to each of them.

Which were...?

--Dave

1) Option requires many, many reps with the QB to learn the read. OC agreed and has done it before. He has a system for getting the QB's the reps they need.

2) If the QB goes down, your offense goes down. OC has experience coaching up 2 QBs and getting them the required reps. On top of that, we have Beast and Empty.

The rest will come down to coaching the details, but that is true of any offense.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Honestly I am intrigued by your bravery and will watch with great interest.  

As much as I love Triple Option Football, I think the subtleties and timing is extremely difficult to perfect for one, let alone 2 QB's at the Youth Level. Lets add in the rest of the backfield as the odds are high that one or more will get dinged up.  I had a rough time trying to teach and time up a Loaded (Double) Option with one read. 

Timing is EVERYTHING! 

I wish you all the best.  Keep us posted.   

This post was modified 4 months ago by Dusty Ol Fart

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

...let alone that not only is it triple option, but with motion!

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

My biggest fear would be the pitch and pitch relationship. However, I am sure this falls under drill it over and over again.

I can't wait to see how this works out. My Fake 32, 18 Keep is the closest I've ever come to running the option.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Besides, motion has never concerned me. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

My biggest fear would be the pitch and pitch relationship. However, I am sure this falls under drill it over and over again.

I can't wait to see how this works out. My Fake 32, 18 Keep is the closest I've ever come to running the option.

I'm sure it will be good on an epic scale or bad on an epic scale and not much in between. The alternative is to yell at my players for not wanting it more than their opponents while we run 22 Dive and 18 Toss Sweep out of the I formation.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

@gumby_in_co And don't forget to tell them to "Block somebody".

All kidding aside, I think it'll work out. I was just trying to say that I can't wait to learn the finer teaching points of it (e.g. How did you teach the kids how to do it, when I struggled running it). Having watched Paul Johnson's team play a lot when I lived in Atlanta, I'd love to add that weapon to the arsenal.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Besides, motion has never concerned me. 

You have obviously never seen me "in Motion"!  Be afraid!  Be very afraid!   LOL

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Besides, motion has never concerned me. I 

I understand that.  But it's still an elephant.  You know, a very challenging overall task.  The more bites that need to be chewed, the greater the chance of choking.

Do you have enough players and coaches (and practice space) to platoon?  Or at least platoon the positions that are going to need the most reps on O?  Because it'd be nice if you could practice the whole defense while at the same time having these players rep the offense with no D responsibilities.

Also, do you (the OC who wants flexbone) expect to pass a lot?  Because of all triple option choices, the only reason I can see for choosing flexbone is to get more receivers into space.

This post was modified 4 months ago 2 times by Bob Goodman

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Besides, motion has never concerned me. I 

I understand that.  But it's still an elephant.  You know, a very challenging overall task.  The more bites that need to be chewed, the greater the chance of choking.

Do you have enough players and coaches (and practice space) to platoon?  Or at least platoon the positions that are going to need the most reps on O?  Because it'd be nice if you could practice the whole defense while at the same time having these players rep the offense with no D responsibilities.

Also, do you (the OC who wants flexbone) expect to pass a lot?  Because of all triple option choices, the only reason I can see for choosing flexbone is to get more receivers into space.

No on the platooning, but yes, that would be nice.

Yes, we plan on passing a lot for a youth team.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Found my old playbook . I will try to find the Threads on this Forum but I think it might have been on the Classic links we lost with the recent update.

I had a TON of help from guys on this Forum. What made it work is we didn't "read"  the DE by leaving him unblocked. It was always the OLB. I think it was Titans ( Paul Marsten) who gave me that tip....and it was a good one. The flexbone formation he suggested sets up nicely for this. 

This gave the young mind playing QB more time to react and we had nearly ZERO troubles with the pitch. 

Per our conversation I also forgot we ran a TON of Trap. 

Digging for film today and thanks again for last night. You rock! 

Edit: Yes this Forum only goes back 6 years. My Most Excellent Flexbone Adventure was at least 10 years ago. We did use a ton of DW blocking principles so right up your alley. I think you and Lonnie will have a ton of fun with this Offense. 👍 

This post was modified 4 months ago by mahonz

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@mahonz Thanks buddy. This will be helpful with all the weird stuff we see on the edge. I planned on blocking a 9 tech with that nasty SE and optioning the OLB. I found a new appreciation for Trap in our Flex Football adventure. Especially counter traps. 

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I had a TON of help from guys on this Forum. What made it work is we didn't "read"  the DE by leaving him unblocked. It was always the OLB. I think it was Titans ( Paul Marsten) who gave me that tip....and it was a good one. The flexbone formation he suggested sets up nicely for this. 

This gave the young mind playing QB more time to react and we had nearly ZERO troubles with the pitch. 

Per our conversation I also forgot we ran a TON of Trap. 

Hence we ran the Loaded Option.  When it worked it was Golden.  Food for thought.  

Since we did not want the QB to "Read" more than once and/or get slaughtered by the DE (common defensive strategy against the option...hit the QB every single time), we simply ran the Option off of the Dive Fake.  That way the FB replaced the Guard who pulled to block the DE.  QB was then free to observe the OSLB and Pitch/ Keep off his movement. 

For me this is where the mindset of your QB comes into play.  Selfish /Unselfish.  Hits or No Hits. He has to really use the Read and be willing to give up the football AND he must be able to keep it when the Read dictates it.  My experience has gone both ways. 

A) QB wouldn't give up the ball and insisted he run every time.  OSLB sat on him every play, Option was Wide Open.

B) QB faked the dive and pitched almost immediately.  Open or Not, the QB wasn't going to keep, unless he somehow accidentally swallowed the ball.        

We all know the pitch works best when held to the last possible moment.  QB can stare the OSLB down so long that a head fake or a jerk of the ball will move him one way or the other.   Also remember that the pitch can happen anywhere down field as long as the pitch man remains behind the QB.    

This post was modified 4 months ago by Dusty Ol Fart

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: