Notifications

pitch relationship spacing  

RSS

33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
August 18, 2016 10:10 am  

im having an issue with my trap option, down option, and belly option, where my pitch man is getting too close to the QB.

its not the path of the play, its a mental thing, where they are cutting in early (looks like they are Herd Bound lol....) and im not sure how to combat it.

STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HSNewly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby

bignose
(@bignose)
Silver
August 18, 2016 1:55 pm  

The first thing that I would check on all of these plays, is the QB bellying back off of the LOS too far, pushing into the pitchman's route?
Pretty common with Belly Option, Down Option and  Trap Option if you have the QB reverse out for depth.

I like to drill this by placing flat discs along the path that the pitch man should run, and using a scrimmage strip (marked off hose) to practice along.

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
August 24, 2016 8:54 am  

The first thing that I would check on all of these plays, is the QB bellying back off of the LOS too far, pushing into the pitchman's route?
Pretty common with Belly Option, Down Option and  Trap Option if you have the QB reverse out for depth.

I like to drill this by placing flat discs along the path that the pitch man should run, and using a scrimmage strip (marked off hose) to practice along.

we have been doing this since you suggested it. the path has gotten way better (alittle reinforcement is needed now and again) but actually DRAWING out the path has really helped the kids visualize the spacing and relationship.

this was a very important key that i was missing........ thanks!!!!!

STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HSNewly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
August 24, 2016 6:50 pm  

I agree the QB is the key if hey doesnt go straight down the LOS or Follow the right path they tend to bow into the backfield too much.  Use Cones or Landmarks as aiming points for the QB.

When I ran the Wing-T the Aiming Point was no deeper than where the WB lines up!  For The Nebraska I, it was inside the slot position! Keep the ball low (dont show the Defense).  With the Wing the Fake to the FB was the Key for the Option! Open step, Fake 1,2,3 steps..Pitch!  QB should have the ball at his waist. The ball should actually move from hip to hip as He steps! Pitch man should have depth in a nice arc relationship to the path of the QB.  No more than 4 or 5 yards apart. 

JMHO 😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: