SBV + I-backs = T-formation?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Jtatham
(@jtatham)
Bronze
May 10, 2016 12:11 pm  

A couple of comments:

You can run the Triple Option from the I formation. It was one of the original concepts in the mid 1960s. Gene Stallings at Texas A.& M ran a Slot I triple.
OSV is not as good from this, slower to the POA and the FB angle is a bit of an issue.

Right, when I realized that I was better for midline and SBV was better for OSV and a quicker ISV, I thought why not run out of T so you get the better midline of the I plus the better ISV/OSV of SBV? Since posting this I've come to find out that this is very similar to where option football was born - the Split T. Of course Split T was called dives and only double option, so a little different.

I would not try to mix the two, chose either Split Backs or I, to keep your mesh points and QB mechanics the same. Otherwise, you'll find your QB sneaking looks back at the Dive man instead of focusing on his read. Been there, done that.

Normally I wouldn't either, but this is the direction our HS program is going, at least for now. Maybe they will eventually settle on one. IF I mix the two, it will probably only be personnel-based (two good HBs->SBV, one good FB->I-backs)

Philosophically-are you an "Option Team" or a "team that runs options?"

Option team. However, I don't want to run triple option at least not at first. Double option disguised as triple with called dives. ISV, Midline, OSV, I would be fine with running just those three if possible (plus a PA pass or two just to keep teams from loading up the box). I will probably add a complimentary play or two (ISO, Sweep, etc.) mainly just to keep our HBs involved in the run game if they are not seeing the ball enough (especially out of I). Ideally most of our option plays would be a dive or keep. And some type of sweep play to escape a blitz.

True Option Teams are very QB dependent, do you have that kid?

I think so. I've got QBs that are tough, smart, and athletic. QB is a tough enough job in a non-option offense, so I will be mindful of making sure I'm not putting more on them than they can handle.

You could potentially run a Bone look, FB for midline and HBs for OSV, but you've got to ask yourself: "What are you going to hang your hat on?"

I'm beginning to think of midline, ISV, and OSV as all the same play just with a different dive path/pitch key instead of separate plays (I realize the devil in the details make them truly 3 separate plays). In other words if the bubble is at the A gap, run midline dive. Bubble at the C, run OSV. If the FB is seeing the ball too much (if there is such a thing), if the D is lined up in a 3 tech to take away ISV dive, instead of running midline we might run ISV double option w/ a dive fake.

It's always the nature of us offensive guys to want to have it all.

Amen. Playing around with this stuff on paper I'd like to line up at least two more on offense - TEs and SEs on both sides so you widen the DE and CB on both sides. 🙂

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
May 16, 2016 2:57 am  

I'm beginning to think of midline, ISV, and OSV as all the same play just with a different dive path/pitch key instead of separate plays (I realize the devil in the details make them truly 3 separate plays). In other words if the bubble is at the A gap, run midline dive. Bubble at the C, run OSV. If the FB is seeing the ball too much (if there is such a thing), if the D is lined up in a 3 tech to take away ISV dive, instead of running midline we might run ISV double option w/ a dive fake.

You can cross block guard and tackle at a 3tech and run ISV.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: