Notifications

Simplest option out there?  

Page 3 / 4
  RSS

Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver
March 12, 2017 6:02 pm  

I think what he means is if you attack inside hip the defender is in between the qb and the pitch man and may be able to make a play on whoever has the ball.
QB=quarterback  DE= defensive end  PM= pitchman

Attacking inside hip DE may have a chance to make play on pitch or no pitch.

DE       
QB       
                PM

Attacking toward outside hip DE has to make a deliberate choice QB or PM

*This case he chose QB so you pitch    *This one he chose PM so QB fakes pitch and keeps

DE                                                                      DE
      QB                                                          QB
                      PM                                                            PM 

I think by attacking outside hip the DE will chose QB at first until the QB pitches then the DE will be hesitant after a few pitches. 

What are your opinions? cause I know you guys have them  LOL

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
March 12, 2017 6:16 pm  

I think what he means is if you attack inside hip the defender is in between the qb and the pitch man and may be able to make a play on whoever has the ball.
QB=quarterback  DE= defensive end  PM= pitchman

Attacking inside hip DE may have a chance to make play on pitch or no pitch.

DE       
QB       
                PM

Attacking toward outside hip DE has to make a deliberate choice QB or PM

*This case he chose QB so you pitch    *This one he chose PM so QB fakes pitch and keeps

DE                                                                      DE
      QB                                                          QB
                      PM                                                            PM 

I think by attacking outside hip the DE will chose QB at first until the QB pitches then the DE will be hesitant after a few pitches.

I don't think those diagrams are relevant, because the bottom 2 will obtain regardless of the QB's aiming point.  Meanwhile it's going to take the QB longer to get there by attacking the outside hip, & meanwhile the DE has that extra time to improve his own position.  It's not like the DE has to let the QB get there!  And if the DE does decide to play the pitch, the QB has to take longer to make his cut if he's attacking the DE's outside hip.

ReplyQuote
Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver
March 12, 2017 6:28 pm  

We all have our own thoughts, that's what makes the world great.  If we all thought the same life would be very boring.  😉

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
March 13, 2017 5:34 am  

In youth football if you have 25 kids
ANd you put the best 11 on offense
And you put the rest on Defense
You will end up like Ellison did- losing a lot of games- but scoring a lot of points- Why? Because your D wont be out there very long- it will be raining TDs

IN youth you dont have the 120 man rosters of College teams

"Anyone at any level"- no I dont think so, At the youth level that is a recipe for disaster

Ide agree to a point... you have to be careful how literal things are taken and how they translate to youth.

Scoring a lot of points puts butts in seats right...its essentially chip kelly all over again.  The games would be exciting to say the least

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
March 13, 2017 6:40 am  

Ide agree to a point... you have to be careful how literal things are taken and how they translate to youth.

Scoring a lot of points puts butts in seats right...its essentially chip kelly all over again.  The games would be exciting to say the least

You said this:
Major points for me i specifically qouted that can be used for anyone at any level.

1. "One major change we would make ... give the offensive unit one hundred of its practice time, and the defensive group the same for defense.  We would select the 11 best boys for the offensive unit and the second best from the defensive unit, feeling that in the time the second best boys would be able to do a better job on defense than the number one offensive group with only a fraction spent on defense" - Tiger Ellison

2."We concluded that fun football leads to optimistic football which proceeds into positive football that gives birth to winning football" - Tiger Ellison

I was just taking your words- what you said= "can be used for anyone at any level"
In non select youth football
If you put your best 11 on Offense and the rest- including all your MPRs on Defense
You would get your doors blown off by any team that was average or above

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
March 13, 2017 7:27 am  

You said this:
Major points for me i specifically qouted that can be used for anyone at any level.

1. "One major change we would make ... give the offensive unit one hundred of its practice time, and the defensive group the same for defense.  We would select the 11 best boys for the offensive unit and the second best from the defensive unit, feeling that in the time the second best boys would be able to do a better job on defense than the number one offensive group with only a fraction spent on defense" - Tiger Ellison

2."We concluded that fun football leads to optimistic football which proceeds into positive football that gives birth to winning football" - Tiger Ellison

I was just taking your words- what you said= "can be used for anyone at any level"
In non select youth football
If you put your best 11 on Offense and the rest- including all your MPRs on Defense
You would get your doors blown off by any team that was average or above

Alright smart ass, yes i called you an ass...report me

If anyone takes what you said literally, theyd likely get smoked by average ti above average talent aswell 😉

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
March 13, 2017 8:07 am  

Alright smart ass, yes i called you an ass...report me

If anyone takes what you said literally, theyd likely get smoked by average ti above average talent aswell 😉

Those are your words
Not sure how this can be misinterpreted

In non select youth football- if you put your best 11 on O and all the rest including MPRs on D- you are going to get your doors beat off

Many dont get the youth game- and how the rosters and players aggregate equation differs from High SChool or College Rosters

Those that get it- win championships
THose that dont never do- or languish in .500 land or much worse

I stand by my words on advice to youth football coaches- I certainly hope they take me literally- that's the point  😉
They have won MANY Championships: http://winningyouthfootball.com/testimonials.php

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
JrTitan
(@jrtitan)
Gold
March 13, 2017 10:58 am  

What are your opinions? cause I know you guys have them  LOL

We ran this out of the I as a lead option and taught attacking the inside shoulder.  I can see attacking the outside shoulder from a gun position where the QB can quickly out leverage the pitch key from the deeper position.  From under center, we thought is was easier for the end to feather the QB and pitch.  We attacked the inside shoulder with a rule "keep unless the pitch key can tackle you."  To be honest, you need to be able to do both based how the end is playing.  If the key is playing soft, attack his inside shoulder.  If he is playing the QB, attack the upfield shoulder and be ready to pitch.

"They call it coaching but it is teaching...You do not just tell them...you show them the reasons""You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important."“…you have no bad habits to break...We either coach it or are allowing allowing it to happen.”

ReplyQuote
Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver
March 13, 2017 6:33 pm  

The angles for an UTC qb vs a pistol or shotgun would be different  and I can see where one approach (inside hip vs outside hip) might be easier than the other.  Thanks for the input

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
March 15, 2017 9:28 am  

The angles for an UTC qb vs a pistol or shotgun would be different  and I can see where one approach (inside hip vs outside hip) might be easier than the other.

As I think about it now, and in consideration of how differently various youth defenses line up, if the initial ballcarrier has much depth, I'm not sure it's a good idea to give him a landmark on any part of an opponent's body at all.  Why not assign it as in track blocking: Go at this angle until somebody stops you?  Let the defender figure things out, whether they have to come from inside or outside to get you.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
March 15, 2017 10:34 am  

We ran dive option as part of our Brooklyn I package for many years. It was always our 2pt play early in the year, & later in the year became an integral part of our offense. I think you have to give the QB a landmark, that landmark UTC was always the inside shoulder of the read man regardless of where or how he lined up. When we run Speed Option from the Gun or Pistol it now becomes the outside shoulder.

I think it's very important that the QB has a landmark because the play needs to be precise in order to be tough to defend. A UTC option where the QB gains depth is a lot easier to defend then one flat down the line.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
March 15, 2017 12:18 pm  

DC

I can not think of a single successful youth coach who would advocate putting the second 11 on defense. It doesn't make sense for the Youth game. Coach Ellison was advocating it at the HS with 60 players. When you really look at it he was never really a championship coach. He said it works for that particular team at that time.

I know quite a few coach who have won NC's at the Youth level & none would think it's a good idea.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
March 15, 2017 2:49 pm  

A UTC option where the QB gains depth is a lot easier to defend then one flat down the line.

From my Winged-T days, I cannot tell you how many times we would stop practice and remind the QB stay low and go straight down the LOS.  "You Bow it, you Blow it!"  Another term was "You show it (the Ball) you Blow it!  If the FB stopped or RB's didnt carry out their fake well.  RUN.  We actually counted steps for the QB!  If I remember correctly 5 Steps.  Even got down to which hip the ball should swing to.  1 right hip 2 Left hip (Dive) 3 Right Hip 4 left Hip, 5 Right hip (Keep/Pitch).  Opposite if go go left! 

That was every dang play!       

Why do I use a Winged-T as the example?  Because many folks tend to think the "Old" Offenses are ineffective.  Yet, to this day, I still say a Wing team that executes well is one of the hardest Offenses to defend!  And, we're just talking about the Dive and Keep/Pitch.  Havent talked about FB series, Sweeps, or Counter plays.    Play Action or Waggle!  LOL 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
March 16, 2017 3:04 am  

DC

I can not think of a single successful youth coach who would advocate putting the second 11 on defense. It doesn't make sense for the Youth game. Coach Ellison was advocating it at the HS with 60 players. When you really look at it he was never really a championship coach. He said it works for that particular team at that time.

I know quite a few coach who have won NC's at the Youth level & none would think it's a good idea.

Joe

While few if any good youth coaches would advocate it you see it happen. More often I see the best 11 only coming off the field when they are just too exhausted or others need to get plays.

ReplyQuote
Jtatham
(@jtatham)
Bronze
May 11, 2018 6:02 am  

Zach said easiest option is run pass option. I agree with that way of thinking, but passing it complicates things because the receiver then has to catch it. 🙂

Somebody else said midline is the easiest. I agree with that. The read is right there as a 2/3/4i technique. Just run is as a double option. There's your easiest option play, and one of the best plays in all of football to boot. Midline is very hard against a head up nose tackle though. The play is so good it's worth trying but chances are there's no way your center is going to be able to completely seal the nose off by himself. The dive is right off the center's butt. If somebody lines up with a 1 and 3 tech like a 4-3 run midline THE ENTIRE GAME.

Outside veer is also an easy play because it's almost always a double option by default. The ball very rarely gets pitched. But I'd say it's much harder for the QB than midline because midline he's just swinging open and OSV he has to sprint down the LOS to read the end man for the dive.

Lead/speed option would be the easiest involving a pitch. No dive fake just get down the line and read the EMLOS.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: