Notifications

Triple option with inside zone scheme  

RSS

Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver
November 27, 2016 5:55 pm  

I had not seen this before but I have just started to dabble in spread type football.  I have used triple option with wishbone and have seen it with power I, wing T and flexbone.  Anyway I found it interesting I hope others will too. 

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
November 28, 2016 8:53 am  

This is the direction that the triple option is going to go over the next several years, IMO.  It's only a matter of time before some Power 5 team with nothing to lose, like Kentucky or Purdue, tries it and brings it to the big time.  New Mexico, Charleston Southern, and Coastal Carolina are all having success with it at their levels.

I have a little bit of experience briefly coaching in a system like this.  I can answer some questions, if anyone has any.  It's quite a bit different from the old school, under center triple option in terms of timing and angles, but it also has its good points.  It requires some different complimentary plays and a different approach, though.

It can be a spread thing where you motion a slot into the backfield for pitch (Urban Meyer did this some at Florida with Tebow and Percy Harvin) or it can use a hitch or bubble screen as the third phase.  Sometimes very athletic teams might even use a slot receiver shuffling backwards into pitch relationship (not recommended).  The simplest way to do it, IMO, is to use 2 backs and make it like a gun SBV, but you have to remember that it's not the same as SBV.

Most of the teams who I've seen run it will use a lot of different formations, but their bread and butter personnel package is 2 RBs with an H-Back lined up just off the LOS as a TE so he can arc or pull across the formation and insert into the blocking scheme at different points.

A good little package of Zone Triple (with a few tags to change up the blocking), Trap and Trap Option, Power Read, and Counter will take you far on the ground.  The teams who really specialize in this and have success will change up the blocking and load defenders or go with End Over sets quite a bit.

ReplyQuote
Share: