Notifications

What would you run triple option or double dive series?  

Page 1 / 4
  RSS

Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver
February 26, 2017 6:47 pm  

Just trying to start some talk. 

Which would you run triple option or double dive (like barta bone)?

Why?

What age would you start using and/or use one over the other?

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
February 26, 2017 7:16 pm  

For youth ball?

If I was so inclined to mimic Triple Option.  Barta Bone!

Dive, Double Dive, Keep!  Very Effective!  Yet, the fool in me, says Load it up and do Double Option as well!  8)   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
February 27, 2017 1:25 am  

Just trying to start some talk. 

Why?

What age would you start using and/or use one over the other?

I wouldn't. But if I was, triple. inside veer.
In our league if you can do anything  at a high level, you will win big. Including inside veer.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
February 27, 2017 2:30 am  

I would definitely run a Barta Bone double dive over triple option.  I would prefer the Dead T(reverse pivot QB, trap, power, keep) to the Barta Bone.

My reasons are: 1) I prefer to block everyone.  2) I do not want my QB responsible for making the reads and executing them.  3) Much more likelihood of the ball hitting the ground in triple.  4) Triple requires more practice time to execute well.  5) The Barta Bone requires a defense to be disciplined and play assignment defense similar to defending triple.  6) I prefer to block everyone twice.

With that being said, these are just my opinions.  A well executed triple option is thing of beauty and a monster to defend.  If you are confident in coaching triple option, it is a great offense.  The fact that you even ask the question suggests that you are not an option coach,  therefore my advice would be go with the Barta.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
February 27, 2017 2:55 am  

I would definitely run a Barta Bone double dive over triple option.  I would prefer the Dead T(reverse pivot QB, trap, power, keep) to the Barta Bone.

My reasons are: 1) I prefer to block everyone.  2) I do not want my QB responsible for making the reads and executing them.  3) Much more likelihood of the ball hitting the ground in triple.  4) Triple requires more practice time to execute well.  5) The Barta Bone requires a defense to be disciplined and play assignment defense similar to defending triple.  6) I prefer to block everyone twice.

With that being said, these are just my opinions.  A well executed triple option is thing of beauty and a monster to defend.  If you are confident in coaching triple option, it is a great offense.  The fact that you even ask the question suggests that you are not an option coach,  therefore my advice would be go with the Barta.

this for sure

OR called "option" looks like option but is blocking optimized for each play
PSL Robs team did something like this very effectively down in Florida

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
February 27, 2017 3:37 am  

Our Brooklyn Power I has a double dive in it as the base series, with the 16's I also ran dive option which was a double option. We mostly ran the Dive Option as our 2 pt play. I didn't run true Triple until HS. That's not to say it can't be done at the Youth level. What my experience with true Triple was it was just too time consuming to run at the Youth level.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
February 27, 2017 4:15 am  

Why?

If I had no other choices, no question I'd coach double dive.  Triple option's just asking too much of an inexperienced QB.  Double dive series could be incorporated into a lot of different offenses without having to spend so much practice on them that there's nothing else to run, and it complements plenty of other series.  Even if you specified a read double dive, it's still easier than triple option.

I've coached series that may have looked like triple option but weren't.

I love watching triple option...but let someone else coach it.  That applies to a few other offense features too.  😀

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
February 27, 2017 5:51 am  

Double dive * i love the triple absolutely my "first kiss"  but to do over...ide do double dive from I form

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
bignose
(@bignose)
Silver
February 27, 2017 7:02 am  

Coach Dick Tighe won 400+ games running a Double Dive Series from the Power I
Coach Frank Lenti has won over 330 games running Veer Triple, and De LaSalle has won a bunch of game running the Veer as well.
No right or wrong choice.

I would have to look at a few things:
Age level of the kids: I probably would not try to run a Veer Read with kids under 12, or so.
QB depth and athleticism: Unless I had at least two pretty decent athletes, I'd be inclined to utilize more of a handoff style of offense. Triple Option without the right kid at QB is a waste of the other kids abilities.

While I've never coached it, I'd like the chance to run the Dead T Series (Trap, Off Tackle Lead and Keep Out). Possibly as a part of the DW series........

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
February 27, 2017 7:54 am  

this for sure

OR called "option" looks like option but is blocking optimized for each play
PSL Robs team did something like this very effectively down in Florida

The funny thing Dave is that is was soooooooo simple and we thought eventually someone would figure it out. Read the guards stupid!!! We had answers just in case but it was simply a counter scheme with a zone read look. We had trap(both qb and rb), iso and a stretch as well. Stretch was rarely called as most teams boxed us in that formation for some reason. Probably because they were running m2m. It was usually a 2x2 formation.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
February 27, 2017 8:54 am  

The one Play that never seems to fail from a T or Bone, is a Cross Buck Counter.  I say never but.....I would be remiss if I did not add Only if you use the other plays to set it up properly. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
February 27, 2017 9:40 am  

The funny thing Dave is that is was soooooooo simple and we thought eventually someone would figure it out. Read the guards stupid!!! We had answers just in case but it was simply a counter scheme with a zone read look. We had trap(both qb and rb), iso and a stretch as well. Stretch was rarely called as most teams boxed us in that formation for some reason. Probably because they were running m2m. It was usually a 2x2 formation.

Common problem
Guys overthink things and give guys way more credit than they should
I review film all the time
Guys think someone is following their blocking back or guards when they arent

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
February 27, 2017 10:29 am  

Common problem
Guys overthink things and give guys way more credit than they should
I review film all the time
Guys think someone is following their blocking back or guards when they arent

We watched the backers and dts and reported to Jeff. We were great at it in 2011 at the jpw level. I think you still get the kitten following the string a bunch at that age level, even with well coached teams. Plus there was no way you were arm tackling either our qb or rb that year so you better get a solid tackle on them. I think we faced maybe two teams who followed the guards but the bsde chased. It killed 5-3 teams. Who ever wasn't covered playside went to the mlb. We could pass pretty well so ignoring our wrs would get you killed.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
February 27, 2017 10:31 am  

We watched the backers and dts and reported to Jeff. We were great at it in 2011 at the jpw level. I think you still get the kitten following the string a bunch at that age level, even with well coached teams. Plus there was no way you were arm tackling either our qb or rb that year so you better get a solid tackle on them. I think we faced maybe two teams who followed the guards but the bsde chased. Which is crazy because a bunch would key guards in dw and sw. Go figure. It killed 5-3 teams. Who ever wasn't covered playside went to the mlb. We could pass pretty well so ignoring our wrs would get you killed.

ReplyQuote
flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
February 27, 2017 10:55 am  

I run triple so my opinion may be biased  😀

But I have 0 knowledge on the intricacies of the double dive, I would love to take a look at it if someone knows of any resources? From what I've read, it's not a true read? More of a called play to who is getting the ball?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: