Page 2 / 3
  RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 30, 2017 9:29 pm  

I wasn't planning on coaching this year, but I have just been asked to help coach 11 year olds, a month after the season has started.

--A month after the season started?  Egads...

The head coach is running the Wishbone, but doesn't teach the players who they are supposed to be blocking. They are just supposed to "block and drive someone".

--Then why is he running the Wishbone?  Better yet, ask him why he's running the Wishbone.

I have never been around the Wishbone, so with that being said, does anybody have any coaching material or aids that you could supply to me or recommend to help teach this team the correct way to run the Wishbone?

Years ago, we ran the Wishbone (Cross Buck).  Depending on the play, we either down blocked, part blocked or cross blocked.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 30, 2017 9:31 pm  

If I'm being honest, your offense is in a lot of trouble.

Let's both be honest.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 30, 2017 9:33 pm  

Looking at the basic playbook it is just some blasts, sweeps, powers, and counters, with a couple of passes.

If there are no blocking assignments, then it's not a playbook.  Not even a "basic" one.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
August 31, 2017 5:50 am  

If there are no blocking assignments, then it's not a playbook.  Not even a "basic" one.

--Dave

My most miserable year as an OL coach was working under a guy who didn't understand the OL couldn't just read his mind on how to block something when he called a play.  Depending on what he was picturing in his head when he called the play, "43 Give" could mean a trap, an iso, or a zone.  He was the type who'd give you a "playbook" where everything was drawn up against the same 4-3 defense with no blocks even drawn on the page.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 31, 2017 7:58 am  

My most miserable year as an OL coach was working under a guy who didn't understand the OL couldn't just read his mind on how to block something when he called a play.  Depending on what he was picturing in his head when he called the play, "43 Give" could mean a trap, an iso, or a zone.  He was the type who'd give you a "playbook" where everything was drawn up against the same 4-3 defense with no blocks even drawn on the page.

After working for a few weeks with a group teaching GOD and GDB rules within our schemes I had a header (who unfortunately had no real understanding of oline play) come up during installs and say forget all that we were going with common sense blocking. It took everything I had to not leave right there.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
September 1, 2017 12:15 am  

My sympathies to the original poster.  :'(

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
September 1, 2017 7:52 am  

After working for a few weeks with a group teaching GOD and GDB rules within our schemes I had a header (who unfortunately had no real understanding of oline play) come up during installs and say forget all that we were going with common sense blocking. It took everything I had to not leave right there.

Wowza. Inside & Outside Gaps covered - which one does "common sense" lead you to block?  And that's just one of MANY scenarios where "common sense blocking" breaks down.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 1, 2017 8:19 am  

Wowza. Inside & Outside Gaps covered - which one does "common sense" lead you to block?  And that's just one of MANY scenarios where "common sense blocking" breaks down.

So he walks up to the oline and ask each kid who he blocks on power. He said just use common sense, not rules. Each kid resorted to our basic power scheme rules and pointed to their man. He looked at me all proud of himself and said "see, common sense blocking". To this day probably the dumbest thing I have heard on the practice field and definitely the thing that made me the maddest.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
September 1, 2017 10:28 am  

So he walks up to the oline and ask each kid who he blocks on power. He said just use common sense, not rules. Each kid resorted to our basic power scheme rules and pointed to their man. He looked at me all proud of himself and said "see, common sense blocking". To this day probably the dumbest thing I have heard on the practice field and definitely the thing that made me the maddest.

Let me guess: he played a skill position growing up, right?

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
September 1, 2017 10:46 am  

Let me guess: he played a skill position growing up, right?

I resent that, Coach!  😛

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
Steve Gunther
(@steve-gunther)
Copper
September 7, 2017 9:47 am  

The man who invented the Wishbone Offense was Emory Bellard, the Offensive Coordinator at the University of Texas for Daryl Royal.  A book titled "How to Coach the Wishbone Football Offense, According to Emory Bellard" can be found at optionfootball-publishing.net

Retired Texas H.S. Football Coach (Houston Area)Gunther Publishingwww.optionfootball-publishing.net

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
October 1, 2017 1:43 pm  

When I was a sophomore in HS, we ran wishbone that was not option based for one season. It was mostly power, counter, dive, and crossbuck stuff.

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
October 1, 2017 4:48 pm  

Hahahaha....phenomenal.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 4, 2017 8:22 am  

I can see the book title:  "Rules?  Who Needs Them?:  The Common-Sense Approach to Blocking"

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
October 4, 2017 9:19 am  

I can see the book title:  "Rules?  Who Needs Them?:  The Common-Sense Approach to Blocking"

--Dave

Lol

By the author of "Block Somebody! Two Key Words to Unlock Your Offensive Line's Potential"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: