Notifications

Am I within my rights to even ask....  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

Youthballee
(@youthballee)
Copper
October 11, 2018 10:25 am  

I have a son playing freshman HS football. He was recently suffered a significant concussion at practice.

Mom got a call from the trainer who described the symptoms, but didn't know how it happened as he wasn't there at  the time. Mom took son to ER and had some imaging done.

Some hours later, the trainer texted mom with an explanation he later received from a coach that the kid was carrying the ball on scout O and took a hard hit, stayed down a bit, eventually walked off the field, but soon started to heave like he was vomiting but nothing came up. That's when the trainer was called over. Trainer said he was slow to respond to questions like "what's your name?" and "where do you go to school?". Obvious concussion.

This happened on a Thursday afternoon, and our family didn't hear from the coach at all until a very late Sunday night e-mail.

I have coached younger kids (3rd grade through 8th grade). I am USA Football Certified and concussion certified. I am of the opinion that there are ways to minimize/mitigate such injuries in practice. There are things you can do (thud level, quick whistles, avoid physical mismatches etc..) things to NOT do (run the same scout O play over and over for your defense to know it well and finally "get it right" with a big hit, run the same scout RB on several consecutive plays, etc...).

I'd like to know the details. My son says he gets "rocked" like that as much as 7 times per practice. He says he's told the coach he's not comfortable playing RB on scout O. But coach says "you're fine" and trots him back out there. The defense is loaded with big, strong, fast, mean hitters. I was told by another kid who saw it that my son was stopped, stood up by his legs, in the process of falling, when another kid came in head first and hit him hard, helmet to helmet.

How shall I proceed?

I'll hang up and listen.

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
October 11, 2018 10:47 am  

If all that is as you say, remove your son from the team. I hate to say that but your son is going to get seriously hurt. This guy is still coaching ball like it is 1972. There is no reason to not protect your players from high impacts. This is even more important in hs. I also have issues with the coach not reaching out immediately to see how your son was doing.

Was he playing scout O against varsity or freshman team?
Is he in concussion protocal? Does he have base line scores?

Again, I hate it for your son but this staff sounds like a bunch of chuckle heads. Verify how factual the account of what happens at practice is first. Your asking for advice but it sounds like you have the training to know the answer.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
October 11, 2018 11:09 am  

First thing I am going to do is try and watch a practice if possible. If that is not possible, I am going to talk to the HC and find out why he is putting my son in unsafe situations. If I don't like his answers, I am pulling my son immediately.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 11, 2018 11:13 am  

You have every right to ask.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
October 11, 2018 11:15 am  

I would take Dimson's advice, and check out a practice first.  So far all you have is second hand accounts.  I would get some solid first hand observations before approaching him.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
October 11, 2018 11:19 am  

Think it might be your right to beat his ass.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 11, 2018 11:21 am  

First thing I am going to do is try and watch a practice if possible. If that is not possible, I am going to talk to the HC and find out why he is putting my son in unsafe situations. If I don't like his answers, I am pulling my son immediately.

When I coached high school ball, I always told parents that they were welcome to attend any and every practice.  They didn't need to hide in the bushes.  We were transparent about our approach and were always comfortable when a parent was there.  If the OP is not able to watch/attend practice because of a football/coach/team/rule then I would remove my son.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Youthballee
(@youthballee)
Copper
October 11, 2018 11:23 am  

If all that is as you say, remove your son from the team. I hate to say that but your son is going to get seriously hurt. This guy is still coaching ball like it is 1972. There is no reason to not protect your players from high impacts. This is even more important in hs. I also have issues with the coach not reaching out immediately to see how your son was doing.

Was he playing scout O against varsity or freshman team?
Is he in concussion protocal? Does he have base line scores?

Again, I hate it for your son but this staff sounds like a bunch of chuckle heads. Verify how factual the account of what happens at practice is first. Your asking for advice but it sounds like you have the training to know the answer.

He was playing on Scout O Freshman vs Starting D Freshman.

Yes, he is in concussion protocol, under the care of a neurologist and does indeed have a baseline score on file.

I'd like to set up a meeting with the coach and the AD, and have the coach explain to me and the AD what happened and why. I'd like for all of us together to assess if it was responsible football, avoidable, and managed properly.

There are some other stories I hear from my kid that make me wonder if we are dealing with chuckleheads.

My son at corner on scout D jumped a 7 yard out route and broke up the pass. Almost picked it. Coach yells over "Why is the receiver a step behind you! Never let him get a step behind!" I guess the game plan is give up the 7 yards and a first down then make the tackle rather that leave them 2nd and long, or maybe get a pick. Seems odd.

He had a play at corner where he was dragged down the field on go route coverage. He recognized a QB keep up the middle. Safety was out of position. Kid broke to midfield and made the tackle. In film, coach says "why are you leaving your zone?" I guess the game plan is to give up the score, but just not in your zone.

He got the ball on an inside zone right play (2nd and 3rd string linemen were in). No surprise, the blocking broke down. He saw space, broke left down the sideline for 15 yards and a first down. Almost stayed inbounds and scored. Sideline was jumping up and down excited about the play. In film review coach says "You just got lucky with a poor decision. You need to follow your blocks". I guess the game plan is follow your crappy non-existent blocks for a 1 yard loss rather than bounce it for 15 yards an a first down. 

ReplyQuote
Youthballee
(@youthballee)
Copper
October 11, 2018 11:25 am  

Practices are closed. Best I can do is watch from my car in the parking lot. But I'm at work when they practice anyways. Can't really attend.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 11, 2018 11:26 am  

This happened on a Thursday afternoon, and our family didn't hear from the coach at all until a very late Sunday night e-mail.

--THAT RIGHT THERE blows my mind.  Sunday?  Your son gets injured and no one in your family hears from the header for 3 days?  Unacceptable.

things to NOT do (run the same scout O play over and over for your defense to know it well and finally "get it right" with a big hit, run the same scout RB on several consecutive plays, etc.

--As physical as we are, it's because we are so physical that we have to be more careful than most.  What you wrote above clearly falls into the category of "things not to do."  Safety is my NUMBER ONE PRIORITY as a football coach.

He says he's told the coach he's not comfortable playing RB on scout O. But coach says "you're fine" and trots him back out there.

--If he's not comfortable playing the position, then he should be at a position that he's comfortable with.

How shall I proceed?

--I'd watch practice, before my son even returned to the practice field.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
October 11, 2018 11:28 am  

I know this is off topic, but chuckleheads is my new favorite saying.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 11, 2018 11:28 am  

Practices are closed.

--Why?  They think you're a spy?  Or perhaps the header just has things he's concerned about others seeing?

But I'm at work when they practice anyways. Can't really attend.

--If my son's health is an issue, I'm missing work to see what's going on.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 11, 2018 11:30 am  

I'd like to set up a meeting with the coach and the AD, and have the coach explain to me and the AD what happened and why. I'd like for all of us together to assess if it was responsible football, avoidable, and managed properly.

That's a more than fair, reasonable request.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
October 11, 2018 11:49 am  

Closed practices???  That is a huge red flag.  I would guess this is a pattern for him, he has gone through this before, and that is why he has closed practices, because he has been taken to task over being a chucklehead I(its catching on) based on observation.

As DP said, to go that long given the type of injury, for that coach to reach out...

Frosh scout team should not be lambs to the slaughter.

ReplyQuote
Youthballee
(@youthballee)
Copper
October 11, 2018 12:03 pm  

The closed practices issue was explain at the outset of the season. it seems they have had some parents come to practices and become a distraction to not only their own child but to other players on the team. So I get it. But in hindsight it really makes me wonder if there's more than he's trying to conceal.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: