Notifications
Clear all

Am I within my rights to even ask....

Page 2 / 3

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The closed practices issue was explain at the outset of the season. it seems they have had some parents come to practices and become a distraction to not only their own child but to other players on the team. So I get it.

--I don't.  So what were the moms doing?  Running routes with receivers?  What were dads doing?  Getting in the huddle and calling plays?  It's ridiculous. If you can't run a practice without parents getting in the way, then what leadership skill do you have?

But in hindsight it really makes me wonder if there's more than he's trying to conceal.

--Ya think?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I'd like to set up a meeting with the coach and the AD, and have the coach explain to me and the AD what happened and why. I'd like for all of us together to assess if it was responsible football, avoidable, and managed properly.

The way it should be:

From personal experience. I was told by their Trainer and an AC to keep any eye on my boy after a practice during his Sophomore year.  They both said he took a pretty good whack in the back of the head during a tackle on Scout O. (Head to the Ground) I also had Concussion training as well.  Sure as shooting he developed a massive headache, started slurring his words, and dry heaving about 2 hours later.  He did not return to play until he passed his Base Line and went through a weeks worth of Gradual progression to full speed, without instance.  For him that process took 3 weeks.  Each Kid is different.  There should be no "set" time frame.     

As Dave says that's more than reasonable. However, I suggest you focus only on this instance (Concussion) and not add on with the other material at that time.  You have more than enough concrete information to access the incident/ injury. I would surmise that their response will be a good indicator as to the accuracy of all the rest of the Conjecture you are hearing. As far as Good Coach Bad Coach, X's and O's, go, that's subjective. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

The closed practices issue was explain at the outset of the season. it seems they have had some parents come to practices and become a distraction to not only their own child but to other players on the team. So I get it. But in hindsight it really makes me wonder if there's more than he's trying to conceal.

As a high school coach, if you cannot prevent parents from being a distraction... you are not fit for the job. 

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

The closed practices issue was explain at the outset of the season. it seems they have had some parents come to practices and become a distraction to not only their own child but to other players on the team. So I get it. But in hindsight it really makes me wonder if there's more than he's trying to conceal.

That sounds crazy. 

Do they have security or deputy sheriffs to guard the practice field?  Gonna call the cops to prevent parents from watching their kids participate in after school activities? 

If I want to stand on the sidelines at a high school football practice field and watch my kid play, I will and you should.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I know this is off topic, but chuckleheads is my new favorite saying.

Looks like I am a trend setter. I've only used chucklehead about 100 times on here.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Looks like I am a trend setter. I've only used chucklehead about 100 times on here.

I'll throw in a modifier "Chucknucklehead"  LOL

πŸ˜‰ 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold

Like the others, I'm not buying it. The "distraction" was likely parents concerned about the health and well-being of their kids after watching some of this coach's practices.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

I have started using it with my team,  "Stop being a chucklehead!" That and "Ignore that chucklehead!"

ReplyQuote
Youthballee
(@youthballee)
Copper
Topic starter  

I have started using it with my team,  "Stop being a chucklehead!" That and "Ignore that chucklehead!"

I'm thinking of re-naming my team from Vikings to Chuckleheads. Throw this logo on the helmets.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

As a high school coach, if you cannot prevent parents from being a distraction... you are not fit for the job.

As a high school coach, sometimes there are places where people come out of the woodwork to create distractions.  It just happens.  Closed practices, by themselves, aren't necessarily a red flag.  Sometimes parents want to show up and micromanage because they have an axe to grind with the coach.  I've had moms show up in extremely skimpy outfits and cause distractions.  I've several parents show up to watch practice who were high on pills and yell at players and coaches.  I've had a dad show up to pick fights with coaches during water breaks.  Heck, I once had some guy walk out onto our practice field and start "coaching" kids.  It can be a zoo if you don't close things off.

Now, there are clearly some issues here.  A coach not contacting the OP that evening about his son appearing to have a concussion was a huge red flag.  The coach going full contact and running the same scout play over and over at a starting defense that knows its coming until someone gets "rocked" is ridiculous and disgusting.  Those are definitely things to discuss in your meeting and to let them know, in no uncertain terms, that you will not tolerate that as a parent.  That stuff is just inexcusable because it's putting players at risk out of sheer stupidity.

The other stuff about chewing kids out for how they play coverage--that sounds like bad coaching, but that's not necessarily something to gripe about or the OP will just seem like a malcontent who's upset they aren't running the spread or starting his son at QB or whatever.

If this is freshman football, a lot of HS programs delegate freshman to the worst and/or greenest coaches because the varsity coaches think it's beneath them.  It's a lousy situation, but I've seen it happen all the time.  Sometimes it happens in MS, too, when a principal who doesn't know or care about football hires some jagoff so they don't have to spend long on a coaching search.

As a parent, I'd focus the discussion on player safety so I wouldn't lose credibility.  Some questions I'd have as a parent: was it the varsity HFC who contacted the OP on Sunday (and may have just heard about the incident at that time), or was it the freshman coach who saw it and waited several days to contact him?  If it was the varsity coach, I'd want to know when he found out about this and why he didn't notify parents and check on the player sooner.  If it was the freshman coach, I'd demand to know why he didn't call that evening.  I'd also want to know how much contact happens at practice, how common injuries happen at practice, and what the coaches' protocol is to prevent those injuries.

Start there.  Criticizing how they're coaching the defensive players is just going to make you look like another armchair coach who needs to be ignored.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

As a high school coach, sometimes there are places where people come out of the woodwork to create distractions.  It just happens.  Closed practices, by themselves, aren't necessarily a red flag.  Sometimes parents want to show up and micromanage because they have an axe to grind with the coach.  I've had moms show up in extremely skimpy outfits and cause distractions.  I've several parents show up to watch practice who were high on pills and yell at players and coaches.  I've had a dad show up to pick fights with coaches during water breaks.  Heck, I once had some guy walk out onto our practice field and start "coaching" kids.  It can be a zoo if you don't close things off.

Now, there are clearly some issues here.  A coach not contacting the OP that evening about his son appearing to have a concussion was a huge red flag.  The coach going full contact and running the same scout play over and over at a starting defense that knows its coming until someone gets "rocked" is ridiculous and disgusting.  Those are definitely things to discuss in your meeting and to let them know, in no uncertain terms, that you will not tolerate that as a parent.  That stuff is just inexcusable because it's putting players at risk out of sheer stupidity.

The other stuff about chewing kids out for how they play coverage--that sounds like bad coaching, but that's not necessarily something to gripe about or the OP will just seem like a malcontent who's upset they aren't running the spread or starting his son at QB or whatever.

If this is freshman football, a lot of HS programs delegate freshman to the worst and/or greenest coaches because the varsity coaches think it's beneath them.  It's a lousy situation, but I've seen it happen all the time.  Sometimes it happens in MS, too, when a principal who doesn't know or care about football hires some jagoff so they don't have to spend long on a coaching search.

As a parent, I'd focus the discussion on player safety so I wouldn't lose credibility.  Some questions I'd have as a parent: was it the varsity HFC who contacted the OP on Sunday (and may have just heard about the incident at that time), or was it the freshman coach who saw it and waited several days to contact him?  If it was the varsity coach, I'd want to know when he found out about this and why he didn't notify parents and check on the player sooner.  If it was the freshman coach, I'd demand to know why he didn't call that evening.  I'd also want to know how much contact happens at practice, how common injuries happen at practice, and what the coaches' protocol is to prevent those injuries.

Start there.  Criticizing how they're coaching the defensive players is just going to make you look like another armchair coach who needs to be ignored.

Agree 100% to all of this.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I coached 4 years of HS as a Freshman OC.

I never saw a parent anywhere at a practice session because they were always closed....F, JV and V.

This was a top 10 program in a 6A Division.

That said...when it comes to player safety...ask away.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

As a high school coach...

Great post.

Yet another thing youth coaches have to deal with that HS coaches don’t - our parents are right on top of us during practice.  πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
Youthballee
(@youthballee)
Copper
Topic starter  

Agree 100%. Safety is the question. The other comments/anecdotes about coaching fundamentals, or even disagreement on coaching fundamentals are separate issues, not worth discussing. They'll tune me out.

To be clear, I am not claiming that they have a habit of running the same scout play over and over. I just called it out as something "not to do". I have seen injuries come from such a thing.

I want to know how they run practices. I want to know what lead to my sons injury. Do they give him the ball on the same play over and over? If so, red flag. 

I am of the strong opinion that concussions on a scout team RB is avoidable if practice is being properly run, thud level is being properly used, helmet to helmet contact is frowned upon and has consequences not "high fives", quick whistles are being used, ball carriers are subject to "wrap only" in some situations, etc...

You can still go full tilt everywhere else, but tackling can be thud/wrap level only for safety of the ball carrier.

This team currently has 6 kids out with injuries, all non-starters, all injuries sustained at practice on scout team from what the kids I know tell me.

Something just seems wrong and I intend to find out.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: