Notifications

Eyes Rolling  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
May 8, 2018 7:52 am  

So we had our first weekend of registration for the fall last Saturday. As always, I worked it, and odd questions will get directed at me...well, not really just odd ones, but maybe ones others didn't know the answer too...

Our league only allows painted helmets in the kids' last season, reason being helmet painting is expensive, and if a kid changes teams, he will need to repaint his helmet to his new teams colors. The other leagues in the area don't use this same rule, so if a kid transfers into our league with a colored helmet and he is not in the 11/12 age group, he needs to make his helmet white again, or buy a new helmet.

So one of the other volunteers fielded this question, how does he make his kids helmet white again? So they came and got me, and as I approached, he and his wife were debating how good his son's Riddell Speed Flex was, mom thought it was just peachy, dad didn't like it...I walked up, they asked the question. I said, let me go talk to one of the Riddell Reps that were on site, see how they handled the one offs like this, he said "Never mind, I will just buy him a new one, not a fan of Riddell helmets anyway, they are not very good". I said okay, what brand are you thinking about (so I can give him some contact info for other reps, Schutt or Xenith), and he said, "I think it will buy him a Nike or a Bike helmet". I said, okay good luck and went back to what I was doing....

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 10, 2018 7:56 am  

he said, "I think it will buy him a Nike or a Bike helmet".

Should have told him that MacGregor makes a fine football helmet.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
May 10, 2018 7:58 am  

I liked this one when I played!

???

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
May 14, 2018 9:17 am  

I liked this one when I played!

???

Might make the game safer.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
May 14, 2018 11:59 am  

I think the problem is that you go back to skull fractures being in play if you roll it back too much.  Remember the ultimate purpose of the helmet, and it does exceedingly well doing it.  Now you have a separate, and less immediately severe, issue.  You don't want to kill the patient with the cure...

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
May 14, 2018 12:23 pm  

My reply was PURE SARCASM.

Just clarifying.

Dusty 8)

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
May 14, 2018 5:20 pm  

My reply was PURE SARCASM.

Just clarifying.

Dusty 8)

Mine wasn't. Not entirely. On some levels I believe what I said is true. One of the main issues with the safety in football is that the head is used as a weapon and on a just as dangerous a footing, players believe that the helmet is going to keep them safe.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
May 14, 2018 7:30 pm  

Mine wasn't. Not entirely. On some levels I believe what I said is true. One of the main issues with the safety in football is that the head is used as a weapon and on a just as dangerous a footing, players believe that the helmet is going to keep them safe.

Wait!!  You mean the visor and "Bad Ass Mask" wont stop the concussions?  Sarc. 

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
May 15, 2018 2:59 am  

Wait!!  You mean the visor and "Bad Ass Mask" wont stop the concussions?  Sarc.

Yup. That's what I mean.

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
May 15, 2018 3:09 am  

I agree about the helmets.  My junior year in high school we got the Bike Air helmets.  Before that we had Riddell ones with foam pads.  The Riddell ones hurt if you made head contact.  We had guys that would bang their heads on the block wall in the locker room with the Bike ones to show they didnt hurt...

Not that Bike is better now,  didnt even know they were still around, but back then they were much more painless than the Riddell ones.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
May 15, 2018 4:26 am  

We had guys that would bang their heads on the block wall in the locker room with the Bike ones to show they didnt hurt...

....and gave themselves concusions. The false sense of security is the biggest problem imo.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
May 15, 2018 9:03 am  

Yup, I've said that before.  I think the helmet technology either needs to be improved to where it DOES mitigate concussions (not sure if possible), or rolled back a bit so it HURTS when you get hit in the head.  Not fracture your skull rolled back, but go back to the 70's/80's when the shell still prevented skull injuries but the padding wasn't so great.  I remember head-butting a HS teammate after a big play and thinking oh, HELL no, I ain't doing that again.  It freakin HURT.  I put my son's new Riddell helmet on a few years ago, and was able to whack my head against a big cast iron radiator a few times and it didn't hurt at all.  To the extent that I would imagine I'd feel no pain right up until I had a concussion.  That's not good.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 15, 2018 9:29 am  

I put my son's new Riddell helmet on a few years ago, and was able to whack my head against a big cast iron radiator a few times and it didn't hurt at all.

This thread is worthless without pictures.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
May 15, 2018 9:32 am  

Should have told him that MacGregor makes a fine football helmet.

--Dave

I had MacGregor Cleats, did they do helmets too?

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 15, 2018 9:34 am  

I had MacGregor Cleats, did they do helmets too?

Oh yes. lol  ;D  Some of the ugliest helmets I've ever seen.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: