Notifications

Girls at QB and/or Center?  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 23, 2018 5:31 am  

Mahonz and I are coaching 2nd graders this Fall and will hopefully stay with this team through 8th grade. We will have 2 girls on the team. Whether this is fair or not, I have decided that I most likely will not allow a girl at QB or C. I thought about a boy taking a snap from a girl from under center and how the girl's parents would feel about that. Then, thought about a girl taking a snap from a boy and how the girl's parents would feel. Then thought about how the boy's parents would feel and . . . 

Neither I, nor Mahonz or my other offensive coach could come up with a good answer. We're not going to make a big announcement or make it an official "policy", but it will be an unwritten and unspoken rule.

Has anyone else gone through this? Any advice based on experience before I pull the trigger on it?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
July 23, 2018 5:38 am  

It only gets weird around 11/12

Shiiit just direct snap like everyone else. Prob solved lol

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 23, 2018 5:46 am  

It only gets weird around 11/12

Shiiit just direct snap like everyone else. Prob solved lol

I came to the conclusion that 2nd grade kids have no idea. I also came to the conclusion that this is the exact reason we need to protect them from the situation. We are direct snap, but have a side saddle blocking back, so BB isn't an issue. I can move a girl to another position to take advantage of her blocking. Having a girl at C would mean doing away with the side saddle and a big chunk of our offense.

My buddy here at work has younger boys who play flag football. He agreed with me on the "hands touching the undercarriage" thing, but offered a possible solution. This would be placing the hands along the thigh. It might work in theory, but we'd have to field test it.

We could also try the SW short snap.

ReplyQuote
bayoubengal
(@bayoubengal)
Bronze
July 23, 2018 5:49 am  

Mahonz and I are coaching 2nd graders this Fall and will hopefully stay with this team through 8th grade. We will have 2 girls on the team. Whether this is fair or not, I have decided that I most likely will not allow a girl at QB or C. I thought about a boy taking a snap from a girl from under center and how the girl's parents would feel about that. Then, thought about a girl taking a snap from a boy and how the girl's parents would feel. Then thought about how the boy's parents would feel and . . . 

Neither I, nor Mahonz or my other offensive coach could come up with a good answer. We're not going to make a big announcement or make it an official "policy", but it will be an unwritten and unspoken rule.

Has anyone else gone through this? Any advice based on experience before I pull the trigger on it?

are they an option at QB and C? we have a girl that plays in our league, she's the best player on their team and a pretty decent RB, she's played QB but its usually direct snap. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 23, 2018 5:54 am  

are they an option at QB and C? we have a girl that plays in our league, she's the best player on their team and a pretty decent RB, she's played QB but its usually direct snap.

The obvious answer is looking me in the face. If we have a girl that is THAT good at QB or C, we change the offense to accommodate her.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
July 23, 2018 5:56 am  

I came to the conclusion that 2nd grade kids have no idea. I also came to the conclusion that this is the exact reason we need to protect them from the situation. We are direct snap, but have a side saddle blocking back, so BB isn't an issue. I can move a girl to another position to take advantage of her blocking. Having a girl at C would mean doing away with the side saddle and a big chunk of our offense.

My buddy here at work has younger boys who play flag football. He agreed with me on the "hands touching the undercarriage" thing, but offered a possible solution. This would be placing the hands along the thigh. It might work in theory, but we'd have to field test it.

We could also try the SW short snap.

I think you're being overly cautious... which  isnt a bad thing at all

Its only an issue if you make it one imo.

Technically this day and age ... dudes taking snaps from dudes is weird and needs protection... ya feel me?

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
July 23, 2018 6:02 am  

... so its ok for boy to boy contact at that age, but not boy girl or vice versa? 

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 23, 2018 6:04 am  

The obvious answer is looking me in the face. If we have a girl that is THAT good at QB or C, we change the offense to accommodate her.

Would you change the offense for any other one player? I hope you are saying you would change within what you do. Then again, Mahonz does have the rep of changing every 15 minutes.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 23, 2018 6:08 am  

... so its ok for boy to boy contact at that age, but not boy girl or vice versa?

Most young kids are weird about utc snaps. Why do you think no one wants to play center.

Honestly, if I was a parents of a young girl there would be no way I would allow her to play center.

There is also the consideration that most young kids still where a cup. After a year or two of playing those things disappear.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
July 23, 2018 6:25 am  

Most young kids are weird about utc snaps. Why do you think no one wants to play center. Cause they want to play wide receiver even though you run DTDW

Honestly, if I was a parents of a young girl there would be no way I would allow her to play center.

There is also the consideration that most young kids still where a cup. After a year or two of playing those things disappear.

I have a daughter, she is 4 years old.  I would have no problem with her playing center. 

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
July 23, 2018 6:31 am  

Little perspective

In rugby the tight 5 are bound in arm
The back 2 of the 5...positions 6 and 7 bind to each other and between the legs of 1 and 3 with their heads between 1&2 and 2&3.  Ive had co ed early teens a few times and this is never an issue. And im putting hands and face in and around crotch level.... so ... yes be cautious and address situations accordingly. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 23, 2018 7:07 am  

Its only an issue if you make it one imo.

It's an issue it ANY parent makes it one.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 23, 2018 7:08 am  

Would you change the offense for any other one player?

Yes. We do it all the time.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 23, 2018 7:15 am  

And that's exactly why I bring it up. Goombah has no problem with it and neither of you are wrong. I do know that my wife would have had a problem with my son at age 7 being either C or QB with a girl on the other end and I would have to respect that.

I think I have it figured out. A girl in the side saddle isn't that big of an issue. We can use her blocking skills elsewhere.

Plan A: Alternate snap with the hands on the thigh. Never been tried, but neither has a lot of stuff we do.
Plan B: UBSW style short snap
Plan C: If a girl is our best center by a significant margin, and Plan A and B don't work, we ditch the side saddle and figure something else out.

ReplyQuote
Spyder89
(@spyder89)
Bronze
July 23, 2018 8:27 am  

Stick the two girls at the two questioned spots lol

- Ray

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: