Notifications

Had a Player quit already  

RSS

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 21, 2018 4:40 am  

I have never coached a Fall team where the players were from multi grades.

We have always been strictly grade based 2nd - 8th grade since the early 1990's.

The second grade division now allows first graders to play. My Son started a first grade league in 2010 but it was maintained by the Org he was the Director for and not the League itself. The idea was for the League to absorb it eventually. It grew to 10-12 teams before the Org decided they didn't want to manage it any more after 6 seasons. So the League passed a Rule that first graders can play in the second grade division rather than creating an new Division.

The deal is these kids can stay with the team all the way thru and play 2 8th grade seasons or drop back down and play at their normal grade level any season they choose.

We had 22 players and 5 were first graders. The difference between the age groups is noticeable. One of them just up and quit via a text message last week citing different morals and values when it comes to football.

Im not sure what that even means and they wont return my phone calls. That kid was actually working in nicely as a CB. It bothers me that this kid didn't give it a chance but it bothers me even more that people dont communicate anymore. Its text....and run. Pathetic.  >:(

Life Lesson Number 17 Revised. You finish what you start unless you have a smart phone.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
August 21, 2018 6:24 am  

Combined grade teams do pose some challenges because there is a difference between playing with kids in your own grade and those one above. 

With that said, I think that a parent owes it to a coach to at least explain their choice if they want a kid to quit.  Morals and values are important, but I am not sure that they have identified what yours are without having a conversation.  Are you still doing that drill where they bite the head off of a bat?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 21, 2018 6:34 am  

Combined grade teams do pose some challenges because there is a difference between playing with kids in your own grade and those one above. 

With that said, I think that a parent owes it to a coach to at least explain their choice if they want a kid to quit.  Morals and values are important, but I am not sure that they have identified what yours are without having a conversation.  Are you still doing that drill where they bite the head off of a bat?

LOL

Actually we are pretty mild with the little dudes....but then again my definition of mild might be extreme to some.

Its a bit of a head scratch'r.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 21, 2018 8:38 am  

You probably were being to rough with their little butterfly. Plus, winning shouldn't ever matter. In the end they are all winners. You need to stress that football is just about having fun and not competition. Keeping score is for bullies. Kids should be allowed to play whatever position makes them happy. Practice should just be playing fun games and not difficult drills. Finally, you need to stop tackling because that encourages male aggression and use flags.

I just puked. That would probably be your response. Unless you are breaking the huddle with "Hail Satan"  or are talking about sex, drugs and rock n roll.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 21, 2018 8:46 am  

You probably were being to rough with their little butterfly. Plus, winning shouldn't ever matter. In the end they are all winners. You need to stress that football is just about having fun and not competition. Keeping score is for bullies. Kids should be allowed to play whatever position makes them happy. Practice should just be playing fun games and not difficult drills. Finally, you need to stop tackling because that encourages male aggression and use flags.

I just puked. That would probably be your response. Unless you are breaking the huddle with "Hail Satan"  or are talking about sex, drugs and rock n roll.

LOL...we need a sarcasm font !

Well said.  🙂

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 21, 2018 10:38 am  

The practice before he quit, he was on scout D and would chase the RB after the play and strip the ball from him. This was as the RB was jogging back to line up for the next play. I told him not to do that. Then I told him to never let me see him do that again. Then I yelled at him and made him take a lap. When he came back, he was on a full on pout. The next play was about to go and he had his arms crossed and his bottom lip sticking out. I suggested that if he's mad at me to go "revenge himself" (something our kids like to say. 'I will REVENGE YOU!'). He made a great defensive play, so I gave him knuckles and an "effort" sticker.  That may have had something to do with it.

or

I showed the linemen my Outlaws tattoo.

Lineman (not the one who quit): Why did you get that?
Me: Because the Outlaws won the Carnation Bowl
Lineman: Will you get one for this team?
Me: Yeah, if you win the Carnation Bowl
Lineman: You should get one if we just go to the Carnation Bowl
Me: Nope. You have to win it. I don't get tattoos for losers.
Lineman: What's the "Carnation Bowl"?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold
August 21, 2018 10:55 am  

I showed the linemen my Outlaws tattoo.

Lineman (not the one who quit): Why did you get that?
Me: Because the Outlaws won the Carnation Bowl
Lineman: Will you get one for this team?
Me: Yeah, if you win the Carnation Bowl
Lineman: You should get one if we just go to the Carnation Bowl
Me: Nope. You have to win it. I don't get tattoos for losers.
Lineman: What's the "Carnation Bowl"?

Somehow, I heard this in Alec Baldwin's voice from Glengarry Glenross. "Coffee is for closers."

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
August 21, 2018 11:50 am  

Had only one player quit so far. He was a very talented and athletic kid playing ball for the first time. He also does hip-hop dance and is very involved with some youth group. He quit to play for the crosstown rival, who practice on different nights than us, since it lines up better with his schedule come September. Oh well, at least he's still playing the game.

One other new player was on the verge out of fear of getting hurt. I was able to convince him to give it another try. Really need him to stick it out, down to 13 players (playing 9-man ball). Hope we can pick up a few bodies once school starts.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 21, 2018 11:54 am  

we need a sarcasm font !

Rob, was being sarcastic?  Heck, I believed in everything he just said.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 21, 2018 12:29 pm  

Had only one player quit so far. He was a very talented and athletic kid playing ball for the first time. He also does hip-hop dance and is very involved with some youth group. He quit to play for the crosstown rival, who practice on different nights than us, since it lines up better with his schedule come September. Oh well, at least he's still playing the game.

One other new player was on the verge out of fear of getting hurt. I was able to convince him to give it another try. Really need him to stick it out, down to 13 players (playing 9-man ball). Hope we can pick up a few bodies once school starts.

That might be the most legitimate reason I’ve ever heard for quitting a team... if he was being honest.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 21, 2018 12:32 pm  

Somehow, I heard this in Alec Baldwin's voice from Glengarry Glenross. "Coffee is for closers."

“Tattoo???!!! How about we learn how to not crap in our own helmets before we start talking tattoos??!!!”
😀

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
August 21, 2018 3:35 pm  

That might be the most legitimate reason I’ve ever heard for quitting a team... if he was being honest.

I believe they were. The parents felt terrible he had to change teams, he was new to the game but loving the couple weeks he spent with us. Good thing is he will still be playing football, and the rival org. is in a different division so we likely won't even play each other this season. And who knows maybe he has just good enough of an experience with the other org. to want to play football again, but not good enough that they want to give us a try again next year if their schedule allows it.

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
August 21, 2018 8:55 pm  

I coach in the Christian conference. This year we had a young lady join the team. She made a great G/DT candidate. She tried out to be our kicker but was probably the 5th best option there. When she didnt get the job as kicker she decided to quit. Unfortunately our most likely to be starting center and returning DL had quit 2 weeks earlier because of her presence on the team. His parents didnt believe it was ok for girls to play football with boys as they "raised their son in gods image and to not lay his hands on a woman" my argument that hitting boys wasn't exactly god's teaching either didnt have an effect in trying to keep him, so now we have lost 2 potential starting linemen.

Our starting 5 linemen are all freshmen and sophomores. Thankfully they held together well in our first game.

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
August 21, 2018 9:43 pm  

I coach in the Christian conference. This year we had a young lady join the team. She made a great G/DT candidate. She tried out to be our kicker but was probably the 5th best option there. When she didnt get the job as kicker she decided to quit. Unfortunately our most likely to be starting center and returning DL had quit 2 weeks earlier because of her presence on the team. His parents didnt believe it was ok for girls to play football with boys as they "raised their son in gods image and to not lay his hands on a woman" my argument that hitting boys wasn't exactly god's teaching either didnt have an effect in trying to keep him, so now we have lost 2 potential starting linemen.

Our starting 5 linemen are all freshmen and sophomores. Thankfully they held together well in our first game.

Good Lord (pun intended).

ReplyQuote
bayoubengal
(@bayoubengal)
Bronze
September 4, 2018 7:51 am  

Me:  I don't get tattoos for losers.

one of the best lines i've read here 😛

ReplyQuote
Share: