Notifications
Clear all

Kinda Depressing

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Our top number ever was 201 kids.  This season we sit at 87.  I have but 15 on my squad.

I reluctantly acquiesced to a return to the Board of Directors as only 3 of the 5 positions were filled.  This is my 3rd stint on the Board in 14 years.  My son hasn't played JFL Ball in 5 years. 

Whats the issue?  Who really knows but the numbers are severely lower than ever before.  As it stands right now.  We will have 4 teams from k-8 with no 5th grade team.  4th, 6th, 7th, and 8th. We combine K/1 and 2/3 but have only 17 participants for those squads. 

I will say right now, that I have never been asked more about Concussions and CTE, than ever before.  My answer is I cant tell you about CTE as it can only be determined Post Mortem and in 14 years of coaching, I can honestly say that I have had had exactly 3 diagnosed concussions.  Two of these happened riding Trail Bikes and re-aggravated because we weren't told!  Have we had broken bones?  Yes.  I have had two fractured wrists, One fractured Hip, and one Tibula. By far the worst injury we have had in our history was a few years back when "The Perfect Storm" happened and a young man tore all but one ligament in his knee. I posted earlier that he is playing HS Basketball.

As least in our area, the Knee Jerk, OMG your killing your kids, uneducated and severely twisted journalism is killing our sport.  One of the towns in our league has 5 kids signed up for 5th and 6th grade and they start tackle in 5th grade. 

Just saying......this "Trend" is not good.  Next year 5,7th and 8th...Year after 6th and 8th. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

Man that is unfortunate.

We currently have 37 signed up for our 4-5th grade level. The guy who coached last season looked over the roster and only marked 8-10 names he recognized. If all who are expected to sign up do so we should have 50-60.

Our older levels #'s were low but they always are when compared to this group.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Dusty

Is it just the concussion issue or are there other things at work?

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Honestly Joe, its probably a combination of things, hopefully more procrastination than anything.  However, I have never been asked about concussions by so many people before this season.  These are the younger aged kids with Tech Savvy parents.  That's what stands out the most to me. 

The one who dont come we will never know why.......

Fingers crossed.  For a town of 2000 we need to get a 135 or 140 kids to have Good Numbers.  With 15 I am not sitting too badly but its 4 less than I had last year and I was hoping for 23 or 24 this year.  Playing time wont be an issue that's for sure!  LOL

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

We have the same problems, especially at the early age groups. Kids are not signing up and parents are concerned due to safety. It is not just concussions, it is parents concerned that their good athlete is going to get hurt because we don't have the numbers to field a strong line.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

Currently we are at the same numbers as last year which were low comparative to years prior.  But I think we will finish with higher numbers still having nearly 2 months of signups.  Surprisingly our CHEER numbers are way lower than prior years so far.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

Last weekend a kid in a youth baseball game here fouled a pitch off right into his face.  They had to call 911, luckily the station is right around the corner from the field.  The kid passed out.  They got him awake again and got the bleeding slowed down enough to put him on the stretcher and rush him to the ER.  This was the game before my son's.  A kid on my son's team broke his ankle in the game.  The next game during the week another kid turned to go after a ball in the outfield and he just went right down.  May have torn something in his knee.  Last spring a spectator (girl) had her head split open when a bat slipped out of a kid's hands and went flying down the 3rd base line and over the fence, hitting the girl in the head.

But so many parents think football is unsafe, not baseball.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

We have had 4 serious injuries in 10 years and one bizarre respitory condition that was figured out because of the stress of football. A broken arm and that kid played at nationals 6 week later, a torn acl, a broken collar bone(text book tackle, the kid just landed weird and directly on his shoulder) and a ruptured spleen. That one was very serious but we had no idea as coaches because the kid never said anything about any pain until the next morning. No idea how that one happened. Anyway the point is that in 10 years with 4 of those seasons playing between 16 and 18 games we had 4 injuries(2 in one year to our 2 best players). We average about 28 kids on a team. So out of approximately 280 players playing 135 games(that number is correct) we had 4 injuries where a kid missed more than a game or two. I won't even try to figure out how many practice hours that entails. That is a pretty low incidence of injury imo.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

I have been coaching 9 years now.  We have had 1 concussion and probably 4 or 5 broken bones (1 knee cap, 2 collar bones, 1 Arm).  We have had "bell rung" stuff where we sat the kids out recently and sent them to doc to get checked out.  None of them showed any signs of a true concussion and were all cleared by doctors.

I am not sure where all of these concussions are occurring in youth football?  We are in a florida league that plays year round (with spring ball) and I just don't see them anywhere.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

I am not sure where all of these concussions are occurring in youth football?  We are in a florida league that plays year round (with spring ball) and I just don't see them anywhere.

They aren't occurring at the youth level.  They are occurring at the NFL level where they are highly publicized and putting the youth parents into panic mode.

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold

I've seen exactly one concussion in 8 years of coaching. The smallest kid in the league got slammed to the ground by the biggest kid in the league. Meanwhile, kids in my sons' classes missed out of other sports for concussions in those safer sports - basketball, baseball and sokker. I still get asked about it (concussion danger in football) as well.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

In five years coaching youth football I've seen one minor concussion, zero serious injuries.  I've seen more injuries in youth baseball and youth basketball than in youth football.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Ive been coaching more than 20 years
Had ONE kid with diagnosed concussion

Had lots of kids suffer off the field concussions- 3 in the same season. Playground bumped head with another boy, run over by cow, car accident

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

Ive been coaching more than 20 years
Had ONE kid with diagnosed concussion

Had lots of kids suffer off the field concussions- 3 in the same season. Playground bumped head with another boy, run over by cow, car accident

Good ole Nebraska!

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

Last season the only kid on our football team with any injury during the season was a kid that broke his wrist... playing basketball!

ReplyQuote
Share: